Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Latest PBS Arthur Episode - Mr Ratburn gets married...
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 6:24 pm
right -- thats why I would not let my kids watch this

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:31 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I didn't even know that Arthur was still in production!

If I were going to have a problem with Arthur, it would be with Francine watching TV on Yom Kippur, and not keeping kosher (including eating treyf pizza on Yom Kippur). But I don't have much of a problem with that, either. Its a TV show.

Came here to say this

urban gypsy

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:38 am
Fox wrote:
They claimed in all caps and with as much vitriol as will fit into 140 characters that the parents are simply bigots and that "unconditional love" must by definition include approval of their son's s-xual orientation.

I wanted my kids to be worldly enough that they could function outside the frum world, and I also wanted them to understand that the trade-off in a society where we aren't persecuted for our religious practices is putting up with other people's practices of which we might not approve.

I've come to believe that there's no perfect answer. Personally, I opted for the "families come in lots of varieties, but that doesn't mean that all varieties are equally good and healthy." That makes me a bigot in some quarters and retweeted in others.

As usual Fox, your responses are a gift! I haven't had this conversation with my kids yet but I've been thinking a lot about what I want to tell them when it comes up and these points really helped me. Very good points.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers