Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for Chofetz Chaim style communities...
1  2  3  Next

mamadreams

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:31 am
Hi! We currently live in a large community and are looking for something midsize for both social and financial reasons. We are currently sending to a school system that is quite chareidi with a chassidish flavor and are looking for something that has a strong frumkeit, but is a bit broader and wholelistic in its outlook.

We were told by many to look into Chofetz Chaim style communities. (We consider ourselves broad minded yeshivish but that group is fading fast) Only we don't know where they are (outside of Kew Garden Hills which is way too much money for us).

we have kids with a wide range of ages and would need a Bais Yaakov, elementary girls and boys and boys Yeshiva high school.

Any suggestions/leads would be very appreciated!

DrMom

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:36 am
There's a community on N Miami Beach, FL

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:46 am
Also look into Boca and Las Vegas. Both young communities Chofetz Chaim communities but growing by leaps and bounds.
If you don't need chofetz chaim exactly but want that style maybe look into St Louis, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 7:51 am
There's a branch in St. Louis

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:26 am
Orlando , Vegas , Vancouver , north Miami Beach , in queens they are trying to open a community with more affordable housing so far 8 -10 families (forgot the name of the neighborhood)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:29 am
East meadow has around 10 families now. A bunch of CC families have been moving to West Hempstead as well.
There’s Orlando, Boca, N Miami Beach, Vegas, Milwaukee, St Louis ...

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 9:10 am
The community in North Miami Beach does sound right up your alley, but housing is not that cheap there. To rent is between 2500 and 3000 a month and to buy is around 500k. And the homes are not large. Still though, if you can hack it financially, it's a wonderful community. It's decently large for out of town and has a very close community feel. There's a large chofetz Chaim system there and one of the main elementary and high school systems are run by CC people. For girls, they only have through fifth grade, then the girls transfer to the regular Bais Yaakov system. A nice school, but not CC run. Still, all the CC families send to Bais Yaakov, so you are getting the same quality friends just a different administration. For boys, they can go through Bais Medrash there. NMB also has a lot of other segments in the community, they have a nice growing kollel, there's a large lubavitch presence, and there's a lot of just plain frum. The community as a whole gets along very nicely. Not a lot of politics BH.

Boca Raton has a nice CC elementary for boys and girls and a boys high school and bais medrash as well. For girls though, the local High School is very modern. Most of the CC girls commute to NMB for high school. It's about 45 mins away. Housing is possibly a drop cheaper than in NMB but not by noticeable difference. The whole community overall though is much more modern so I'm not sure what you have to gain n Boca over NMB. I would think based on your description that NMB would be a much better match for your family over BOCA.
if you are looking for a very small community, Orlando has a nice CC elementary school, but pretty small. There are only abiut 5 CC families there. There are jobs available in the school and community at large anf it'ss the type of place where your presence there will make a big difference to the community. They don't have high schools for the girls or the boys though so people send out which is not ideal. They are about a 4 hour drive from Miami and the average house goes for around 350k.

Las Vegas also is a small community, but it has about 30 CC families and it is, and I believe its the most rapidly growing CC community in the world. They have a well-established elementary, and a newer boys high school and Bais Medrash and this coming year they're also opening a CC girls high school. The overall frum community is not very large, it's the real sticks of out of town, so the CC community makes up a very large percentage of the overall frum community. I'm not so familiar with the home prices there, but I believe it is somewhat cheaper than living in South Florida.

St. Louis (Chesterfield) has a boys high school and Bais Medrash run by CC. There are about 5 CC families living there (maybe a few more than that). The elementary schools and girls high school are not CC run but they do exist so you wouldn't have to send your kids out. I think the housing prices on Chesterfield are more than in the regular frum St Louis area.

Milwaukee (the east side) is predominantly CC, with their big High school and BM being WITS which is a CC school. The elementary school is part CC (I believe, it depends on the current staff. At one point they had a CC prinicipal but he retired) and the girls high school is CC run but is very small. A number of the girls don't stay local for high school. they go to Chicago or elsewhere. The east side housing is considerably more expensive than the west side where most of the non CC frum community lives, with Rabbi Twerski at the helm. Milwaukee has a pretty cheap cost of living overall, with cheap housing on the westside and pretty cheap tuition, so it tends to attract people who are looking for a lower-income very out of town community.

I think that about sums up the communities in America. If I can think of another one I'll post it here.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 9:14 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Orlando , Vegas , Vancouver , north Miami Beach , in queens they are trying to open a community with more affordable housing so far 8 -10 families (forgot the name of the neighborhood)

Vancouver is closing for next year and housing there is astronomical.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 9:41 am
You’re right forgot Vancouver is closing. Shame because it is such a beautiful city, but the cc community didn’t really take off enough.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 9:55 am
Boca is actually starting a CC kollel and 5 or 6 families are going down from Queens this year which will add to the existing community.

There's also Cherry Hill (really nice community) and Rochester (nice but less CC). Seattle just started a CC Yeshiva but it's definitley not a CC community.

Anyone know where Vancouver is moving to?

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 9:57 am
Maybe OT but can someone define what Chafetz Chaim community would be?

Boobasheli

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:00 am
OP, I understand you want to move for financial and social reasons. Please be aware that chofetz chaim style schools probably charge much more tuition than the heimish schools you are currently sending to. Just something else to research in a community 😊.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:40 am
These communities may have cc families and rebbeim in schools, but there is also a broad mix of kids in the school as well, even in the frummer schools. Oot tuition is expensive. Elementary school can be 15k+. They give breaks but it's still more than in town. Finally, oot schools are behind in town schools. It's common for kriah to be taught in 1st grade, siddur end of 1st grade, and Chumash at the end of 2nd grade. High schools can be a mix and many people send away.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:42 am
Not exactly what you described OP but how about waterbury CT?

icebreaker

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:43 am
pesek zman wrote:
Maybe OT but can someone define what Chafetz Chaim community would be?

Would love to know as well purely for my own curiosity lol.

cookies6

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:56 am
A CC community is started by Yeshivas Chofetz Chaim alumni.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:15 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
These communities may have cc families and rebbeim in schools, but there is also a broad mix of kids in the school as well, even in the frummer schools. Oot tuition is expensive. Elementary school can be 15k+. They give breaks but it's still more than in town. Finally, oot schools are behind in town schools. It's common for kriah to be taught in 1st grade, siddur end of 1st grade, and Chumash at the end of 2nd grade. High schools can be a mix and many people send away.

In terms of your last point it varies a lot. I lived oot and have family all over and some start when your saying but a lot start those things much earlier. I did the first few grades in brooklyn and started 2nd grade oot. In Brooklyn, first grade we did the same 5 pesukim in bereishis all year. When I got to my new school in second grade they we're already up to Noach...

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:25 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
In terms of your last point it varies a lot. I lived oot and have family all over and some start when your saying but a lot start those things much earlier. I did the first few grades in brooklyn and started 2nd grade oot. In Brooklyn, first grade we did the same 5 pesukim in bereishis all year. When I got to my new school in second grade they we're already up to Noach...

Good to know... Unfortunately, my oot community is behind☹️

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:37 pm
cookies6 wrote:
A CC community is started by Yeshivas Chofetz Chaim alumni.

I gathered as much but how are they haskafically different than anyone else ? Or rather, what’s their hashkafah?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:40 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Good to know... Unfortunately, my oot community is behind☹️

It's not so bad. Maybe they chap it better because they're older. Anyways everyone pretty much is on the same page by the time they graduate 8th grade no?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating