Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Did you have the measles as a child and don't vax?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:53 pm
Anyone here who doesn't vaccinate did you actually have the measles as a child or did your parents vaccinate you??

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 12:55 pm
Omg I was literally about to start the exact same thread!!
I would like to hear from someone who can say “I had measles and I want my kids to have it too”

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:12 pm
Don't know about measles, but I did have chicken pox as a child and want my kids to get it. I imagine that there are many who will say the same about measles.

Some data, before the vaccines were introduced:

VARICELLA (chicken pox): 1 in 40,000 to 60,000 mortality rate
MEASLES (rubeola): 1 in 10,000 mortality rate

and for comparison's sake:

FLU: 1 in 1,300 to 5,000 mortality rate (this seems to be after the vaccine was introduced)

I don't see as much hysteria about the flu, although it is apparently far more dangerous than measles. And it can cause miscarriage and preterm labor in pregnant women.

ectomorph

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:14 pm
I had chicken pox and was fine. I was gonna skip the vaccine.

Then my sister showed me her scars from the chicken pox that I hadn't realized she had. Not in an obvious place. If they had been on her face it would have been an issue.

That's when I decided to vaccinate

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:15 pm
You are comparing chickenpox to measles?!? Do you realize how different they are?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:17 pm
Measles is 4x more likely to cause death than chicken pox.
And flu is 4x more likely to cause death than measles.

If having flu once meant likely never having it again, I'd want my kids to have it.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:21 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Don't know about measles, but I did have chicken pox as a child and want my kids to get it. I imagine that there are many who will say the same about measles.

FLU: 1 in 1,300 to 5,000 mortality rate (this seems to be after the vaccine was introduced)

I don't see as much hysteria about the flu, although it is apparently far more dangerous than measles. And it can cause miscarriage and preterm labor in pregnant women.

Why do you want your kids to get chicken pox?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:40 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Why do you want your kids to get chicken pox?

There is some evidence that the chicken pox immunity may not be lifetime, and chicken pox is usually a mild childhood disease but much more serious in an adult.

Also do not like many of the additives necessary to make vaccines work. They may be innocuous when ingested, but even water can kill when injected. One less vaccine is better for me! (Yes, we did give MMR.)

Most of my kids did get chicken pox, ironically from a vaccinated friend, so thankfully I don't have to worry about them.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone here who doesn't vaccinate did you actually have the measles as a child or did your parents vaccinate you??

Yes, I have a friend who is VERY anti-vax and she had the measles as a child. She says, I had it, I was fine, what's the big deal?

But she claims her child developed a serious illness from his shots. I think the disease itself would have been even more harmful but she doesn't see my point.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:47 pm

The chicken pox vaccine was very controversial when it first came out. But now that everyone vaccinates, it's no longer controversial. I'm too tired to explain this, but those that get it get it.

I'm old enough to remember when we all got chicken pox. I had a mild case but my brother was in terrible agony.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:50 pm
There is some evidence that the chicken pox immunity may not be lifetime, and chicken pox is usually a mild childhood disease but much more serious in an adult.

Also do not like many of the additives necessary to make vaccines work. They may be innocuous when ingested, but even water can kill when injected. One less vaccine is better for me! (Yes, we did give MMR.)

Most of my kids did get chicken pox, ironically from a vaccinated friend, so thankfully I don't have to worry about them.

Except adults can get shingles either way, having had chicken pox or the shot, so there.

I asked my doctor about this vaccine when it was first added to the schedule, and he said he personally Iost patients to chicken pox, so he encourages his patients to get the vaccine.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:55 pm
Still waiting for flu hysteria...

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:00 pm
My understanding is that if you get chicken pox as a kid, you have a significant risk of getting shingles as an adult. The risk is lower if you are vaccinated against chicken pox.

Shingles is a serious disease. It is painful and can lead to vision loss and encephalitis.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:02 pm

what does this mean?

I've lived through H1N1 panic. It was horrible.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:04 pm

I'd prefer neither the vaccine, nor the chickenpox, personally. I've never wanted my children to deal with a virus.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:06 pm

The vax discussions on this board and elsewhere have caused me to commit to the flu vaccine. I think the reason many people don't take the flu vaccine is that it is not nearly as effective as the MMR or VariVax and needs to be repeated every year. Who even sees a doctor every year?

I can tell you that I've always been very worried about flu and wash my hands almost obsessively to keep myself and others safer than they would be otherwise.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:07 pm
If they come up with a flu vaccine that works for all strains, I hope they add it to the schedule. It's a very wily virus.

As it is I try to get and give my kids the annual shot, even if it is far from perfect, as hishtadlus. The problem is usually to catch them between sniffles, as I don't like giving shots when they're already fighting off a bug.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:09 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I'd prefer neither the vaccine, nor the chickenpox, personally. I've never wanted my children to deal with a virus.

Lol. Thank you for your honesty.

We've achieved this goal with one disease. It's called smallpox. You know how we got here, right? It's a magic 7-letter word... Starts with a v...

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:13 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Lol. Thank you for your honesty.

We've achieved this goal with one disease. It's called smallpox. You know how we got here, right? It's a magic 7-letter word... Starts with a v...

Yup. 100% Fully agree.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:34 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
The vax discussions on this board and elsewhere have caused me to commit to the flu vaccine. I think the reason many people don't take the flu vaccine is that it is not nearly as effective as the MMR or VariVax and needs to be repeated every year. Who even sees a doctor every year?

I can tell you that I've always been very worried about flu and wash my hands almost obsessively to keep myself and others safer than they would be otherwise.

The reason I am very vocal IRL AGAINST the flu vaccine is because my DH got the vaccine three years in a row. Three years in a row, straight as clockwork, he got the flu exactly two weeks later. I was having this conversation at a recent Shabbos table with guests and TWO people chimed in that they had the same experience!!!

The flu shot does not have this "side effect" but it's also not as effective as the live vaccine. I guess they discontinued the live vaccine for a reason, even though it's not as effective....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics