Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for Chofetz Chaim style communities...
Previous  1  2  3

familyfirst

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 10:32 pm
If you're open to a school that is not strictly cc but has similar hashkafos in many ways, then silver spring, Maryland would be something to seriously consider.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:24 pm
mamadreams wrote:
does anyone know about the "lifestyle" cost of NMB? simchas, shabbos clothes etc.

Not sure I really understand what you mean by lifestyle expenses, but I'll tell you this - Its a classic large OOT community. It doesn't have the same Jonses feeling that in town communities have, but it's also not the sticks where you just totally do your own thing and anything goes. There is a large range of people but the average person is not fancy and is not extravagant.
Does this make sense at all?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:25 pm
Silver Spring may well work religiously, but financially (which OP said is one reason she's looking to move) I believe that the cost of living there - housing and especially tuition - will not work for her.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:48 am
What about Baltimore? It's not a CC community but there are a handful of CC guys who moved here.

The beauty of Baltimore is that it is extremely diverse and everyone gets along. As a result it is an open minded yet frum community. The housing ranges from very affordable to expensive. I've seen 3 bedroom houses for rent in the $1600-$1700 range. Apartments go for less. Affordability really depends on the neighborhood you pick. All the neighborhoods connect, but there really is the price range.

There are 2 all girls schools (preschool-high school), 3 boys school (as of now only one goes through high school) and a few boys' yeshivos. There is one co-ed frum school and one Montessori elementary school where the boys/girls are in the same building but in different classrooms (preschool is co-ed).

amother
Beige

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:59 pm
I believe that Vancouver is moving to Las Vegas.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:06 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
These communities may have cc families and rebbeim in schools, but there is also a broad mix of kids in the school as well, even in the frummer schools. Oot tuition is expensive. Elementary school can be 15k+. They give breaks but it's still more than in town. Finally, oot schools are behind in town schools. It's common for kriah to be taught in 1st grade, siddur end of 1st grade, and Chumash at the end of 2nd grade. High schools can be a mix and many people send away.

I’ve lived out of town my entire life and I’m bringing up my kids out of town. And I have no idea what you’re talking about.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:14 pm
it must be certain OOT communities. I moved from NJ to OOT and I didn't see a different.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:35 pm
I am in a large OOT community in the midwest and my son was fully reading in both languages by the end of pre1a. They get their siddur that spring and then they started chumash in 1st grade. They learned two full parshios in first grade (while also working on kesiva) and now in second grade they have done two and are working their way towards a third. They just started learning rashi. I am thrilled with the pace in which they are learning. Why burn a kid out so young racing through the parshios. My son is very academic so he learns with DH for enrichment which is great. I feel like the kids who are not so academic should not be forced to keep up with the rare kids like DS who can learn material years ahead of his age.

Chicago its not a CC community per se but it is a really nice place to live with cheaper then NY housing, lots of school choices and shuls and a social scene for all types. My kids yeshiva has really reasonable rules for parents and a good balance of chol-kodesh.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:54 pm
I think part of the reason that people are citing varying experiences with OOT schools is that is depends if the school is a true "community school" or a more yeshivish school. The community schools are probably more similar to the in town day schools (generally MO) which put less emphasis on limudei kodesh compared to the more yeshivish schools, and therefore are generally behind the the yeshivish schools in terms of when they introduce kriah, Chumash etc. It's not necessarily about in town vs. OOT but more because of the type of school.

DallasIma

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 6:14 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
No mention of Dallas?? Great OOT community and a very large CC population as there is a CC boys high school here.

I love it here in Dallas! We have 2 shuls (one Sephardic and one Ashkenazic) in the North Eruv that were started by CC alumni. Very warm and wonderful community.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 6:42 pm
(When we moved to a smaller out of town community from Baltimore, my daughter was "behind" as her Baltimore school only finished kriah and got a siddur in first grade, and here they do it the year before, what we call Kindergarten. My boys were ahead though. They had gone to the "more yeshivish" school that had school on Sundays and through July and got a lot further in kodesh.)

mamadreams

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Chicago its not a CC community per se but it is a really nice place to live with cheaper then NY housing, lots of school choices and shuls and a social scene for all types. My kids yeshiva has really reasonable rules for parents and a good balance of chol-kodesh.

sounds interesting! I thought chicago was way too expensive and didn't even consider it...what are the neighborhoods/schools that you think would be relevant for me to look into? CC or more "relaxed" yeshivish but still friendly with a community feel...

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:33 pm
Chicago is definitely not a super cheap place to live, but it's pretty standard for a bigger OOT community ( for example, housing and food prices are a bit cheaper than North Miami Beach, tuition very similar.) The cost of living is a lot higher than places like Milwaukee, Cleveland, or South Bend though.

You'd probably want to look into the West Rogers Park neighborhood, I'm guessing, particularly the area closer to Devon rather than closer to Touhy, as that area tends to be the most Yeshivish/simplest.
Chicago does offer a lot. There's a wide variety of choices regarding schools and shuls, plenty of shopping options, and a very wide range of Judaism. Chicago has a kollel for just about every factor, there are two Lakewood style kollels, two chassidish kollels, a Russian kollel, YU kollel, Skokie kollel, kollel for retired business men, choshen mishpat kollel, possibly a sefardi kollel - you get the point.... Chicago also was at one point the hub of American Zionism, and Chicago and it's suburbs has quite a large modern Orthodox community as well. There's also a large lubavitch community, with several lubavitch schools.
It's a very fast growing community, with about fifty families or so coming each summer and many local children who get married stay local. With the rapid growth of course, also comes less of an OOT feel, for better or worse...

mamadreams

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 6:18 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Boca is actually starting a CC kollel and 5 or 6 families are going down from Queens this year which will add to the existing community.

There's also Cherry Hill (really nice community) and Rochester (nice but less CC). Seattle just started a CC Yeshiva but it's definitley not a CC community.

does anyone know more about Cherry Hill? number of families? is the community warm and welcoming? is it more modern or more "yeshivish"? where do the yeshivish families send to elementary and highschool? any other info is welcome!

shaimac1

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 7:58 am
Cherry Hill is a mixed community, but I believe the majority are MO, a lot of families send to Philly with is about 45 min away b/c of traffic. I have heard it is a warm and welcoming and for NJ you can get a decent home for a decent price, if you forget about the property taxes. I a friend of mine's husband works in the CC Yeshiva and works in a Philly day school...good luck!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating