Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Suspected Hyperparathyroidism

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:30 am
My child’s labs came back as elevated calcium and low PTH. Anyone have experience with this? Also looking for good pediatric endo in nyc to run more tests and see what the real issue is.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:26 pm
Bump!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 9:14 pm
Anyone?
Please!

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 3:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My child’s labs came back as elevated calcium and low PTH. Anyone have experience with this? Also looking for good pediatric endo in nyc to run more tests and see what the real issue is.

I am not a doctor and I know very little about this. However, I found some possibly relevant information in a review text in the Lange series on endocrinology, Greenspan's Basic and Clinical Endocrinology, 10th Edition, by David G. Gardner and Dolores Shoback.
In Chapter 8, Metabolic Bone Disease, p. 243, the text says:
Quote:

If hypercalcemia results from a form of hyperparathyroidism, then the serum PTH level will be high; if hypercalcemia has a nonparathyroid basis, then PTH will be suppressed.

In your child's case, PTH is suppressed and calcium is high, so that makes a nonparathyroid basis more likely. There seem to be both minor and major reasons for this to happen. It could happen from getting unusually high levels of Vitamin D and calcium, maybe from vitamin pills, or it could be a genetic condition that is not serious, or it could come from some bipolar meds, or it could happen for more serious reasons. The Mayo Clinic web page explains it in more detail. https://www.mayoclinic.org/dis.....55523 . Ignore the scary stuff because those are the least likely explanations.

You really should go to a good pediatric endocrinologist. I am sorry I do not know any.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 4:34 am
I had blood working showing similar for a few months and the endo kept doing more tests but then it normalized on its own with no explanation . You need to find an experienced endo who will probably repeat the blood tests and make sure everything is ok.

rim

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 5:59 am
Dr. Gallagher 212 263-5417
Is the name I have for a pediatric endocrinologist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics