Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Secret adversity scores - does being a Jew get bonus points?
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 5:30 am
If you are a Jew from a large family with a low income, and/or from a deprived area, you will certainly benefit.

imasinger

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:03 am
Implicit bias is a real thing.

From Scientific American:
Quote:
Field experiments demonstrate that real-world discrimination continues, and is widespread. White applicants get about 50 percent more call-backs than black applicants with the same resumes; college professors are 26 percent more likely to respond to a student’s email when it is signed by Brad rather than Lamar; and physicians recommend less pain medication for black patients than white patients with the same injury.

I believe that I have many more resources to find a good job, get my kids into a good school, etc, even if slots are weighted away from me.

Maybe one of those kids who came from a disadvantaged background but has the potential to shine will be the one to cure cancer.

fmt4

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:03 am
Squishy wrote:
I see a big problem is going to be people faking addresses to look more disadvantaged like you have people faking race. Elizabeth Warren.

In my grad school "merit" scholarships were handed out based on race. If you were Hispanic you got 25% of your tuition waived. Blacks got 50% waived. Yes, the school was predominately white. My partial Puerto Rican friend charged her self identity from Hispanic to black and got an additional 25% off her tuition.

In my younger hot headed days I marched into the Dean's office and told him that since I had a perfect entrance score (I was the only one who did), and I was on the Dean's list, I deserved that merit scholarship.

He gave me a song and dance. I told him to at least charge the name from merit scholarship to black scholarship because merit was dishonest and gave an unearned advantage on their resume.

I take the dummying down of entrance exams personally.

Wow you were so so brave.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 8:52 am
ectomorph wrote:
More like demerits for jews

Demerits for Jews and Asians. My kids are particularly screwed, because we are Asian Jews LOL

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 10:14 am
fmt4 wrote:
Wow you were so so brave.

Those two ladies plus a Manhasset non-frum weathy Jew, an Indian from India, and me who had to work full time were my absolute closest friends for years. They were my squad.

I wrote about Beverly before. She came from a poor home in Bronx raised by a single mother. They all were morbidly obese. She shared a bed with her sister a social worker. She got the absolute minimum score on the entrance exam. She came in by affirmative action and couldn't keep up even with tutors and us sharing our notes. All tests were open book.

It was a cruel thing to admit my friend. CUNY didn't prepare her because she was not prepared by her HS. Tutors and strong friends couldn't bridge the gap.

Should they dummy down the licensing requirements? Would it be fair to those that hire her?

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 10:24 am
ectomorph wrote:
Just so you should know it's no different than public schools. Public Schools don't teach everyone calculus in high school it's considered a college-level course and you have to be tops in math to get into it

You don’t need calc for the SAT.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics