Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
3 yr old fakes sick in school to go home
Previous  1  2

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 10:10 pm
ectomorph wrote:
She said special needs-some of these kids might be quite challenging

Yes, which is why it's not likely that the assistants are sitting there cutting out stuff for projects. They're probably all pretty hands on. I hope.

(I've worked in sped classes, and that was the expectation IME)

ectomorph

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 10:16 pm
Who knows. We're not there.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 10:25 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I don't think it's likely that this is a class of 10 three year olds with a main teacher and two assistants- and they're all so busy with other things that they keep missing the action.

First of all, I was responding to another poster but this is a tangent from my post.

However, did you ever teach challenging kids?? I wouldnt know if I had never taught. However, in defense of all teachers, its hard to catch everything. Im not saying hes being bullied bec. My son defends himself but I dont think he would just start up. In addition, besides for teaching and handling behavior, they also are taking these children to the toilet. I definitely appreciate any teacher who works in this setting and can understand how difficult it is.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 10:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First of all, I was responding to another poster but this is a tangent from my post.

However, did you ever teach challenging kids?? I wouldnt know if I had never taught. However, in defense of all teachers, its hard to catch everything. Im not saying hes being bullied bec. My son defends himself but I dont think he would just start up. In addition, besides for teaching and handling behavior, they also are taking these children to the toilet. I definitely appreciate any teacher who works in this setting and can understand how difficult it is.

Yes, I work with special needs children Smile

Seashell

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 10:48 pm
Is he verbal? Can he express himself?
Maybe sit on the floor with some menchies -and play out school. Make one kid not want to go, and want to stay with his mommy. Ask your son why the menchie doesn’t want to go etc.

If he says morah, or the kids are mean that could be very telling. Or he may say he wants his mommy -which could be after being with her all week.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'll tell you why he wants to stay home and doesn't want to go to school. School is a structured program and he has to share, follow rules, sit and listen....he likes to be home to do what he wants when he wants.....he doesn't like to share....just like a typical kid....but of course he loves the school activities.... In school, they also tell him to go to the toilet but he doesn't want to go.

BUT, MY POINT IS HE WAS HOME MOST OF LAST WEEK SO HE GOT USED TO BEING WITH ME WITH UNSTRUCTURED PLAY, DOING WHAT HE WANTS...

My son tells me his has stomachaches in the morning as way of trying to get out of going to school. I tell him if he’s sick, he needs to stay in bed all day and rest. He usually goes to his room, stays for a while, gets bored out of his mind, tries to get out and play something. I say nope if you’re sick, you stay in bed. When he sees I mean it, he tells me he feels better and is ready to go to school.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:01 am
I strongly disagree with all the posters that are saying to make it boring at home or at the supermarket etc; A three year old doesn't have to go to school. He is still a toddler and shouldnt be " punished" for wanting to stay home. School can be very stressful for some kids. If the teacher is saying he causes trouble I would be concerned he is being punished. Something is wrong with this picture and he should be treated with compassion. Personally, I wouldn't send my son back to school with him feeling this unhappy and anxious. Maybe it's too much for him... listen to his cues and definitely don't bribe him or punish him. That isn't chinuch and will just be a bandaid and won't target the underlying issue. Hatzlacha figuring this out,
Signed a Preschool Morah

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:32 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I strongly disagree with all the posters that are saying to make it boring at home or at the supermarket etc; A three year old doesn't have to go to school. He is still a toddler and shouldnt be " punished" for wanting to stay home. School can be very stressful for some kids. If the teacher is saying he causes trouble I would be concerned he is being punished. Something is wrong with this picture and he should be treated with compassion. Personally, I wouldn't send my son back to school with him feeling this unhappy and anxious. Maybe it's too much for him... listen to his cues and definitely don't bribe him or punish him. That isn't chinuch and will just be a bandaid and won't target the underlying issue. Hatzlacha figuring this out,
Signed a Preschool Morah

This is very true. I didn’t take the age into account. My child is a little older and pretends that he is sick to get out of going to school. A 3 year old may really have a stomachache due to anxiety.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:19 pm
Seashell wrote:
Is he verbal? Can he express himself?
Maybe sit on the floor with some menchies -and play out school. Make one kid not want to go, and want to stay with his mommy. Ask your son why the menchie doesn’t want to go etc.

If he says morah, or the kids are mean that could be very telling. Or he may say he wants his mommy -which could be after being with her all week.

This is a great idea. Thank you. I'm going to do it with him. He is very verbal, but he is very unclear such that I can't always understand him. But, ill see if I can figure out if anything is bothering him.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics