Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Here's why
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Do you think I did the right thing?
No! Why did you do this to yourself? You will be bored stiff.  
 13%  [ 14 ]
Yes! You will have peace of mind.  
 74%  [ 76 ]
Who knows? Only time will tell.  
 11%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 102

giselle

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 2:25 pm
How could I forget the Flying Spaghetti Monster? (Btw my iPhone actually auto corrected that to caps, which proves it’s completely legitimate.)

mig100

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 2:36 pm
youngishbear wrote:
How about the theory about the lizard people? Look it up if you need a laugh.

Thanks u and zehava - I also needed one. LOL LOL LOL

mig100

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 2:37 pm
youngishbear wrote:
How about the theory about the lizard people? Look it up if you need a laugh.

Thanks u and zehava - I also needed one. LOL LOL LOL

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 2:37 pm
youngishbear wrote:
A scientologist was an honored guest at the recent conference in Monsey. Maybe they'll invite David Icke next time.

What about Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck?
And don't forget Porkey πŸ– and Roadrunner.
They know just as much.
So anti-vaxers should understand that their leaders are not scientists or whistle blowers. They have as much scientific knowledge as cartoon characters and most of the world finds them just as comical.

mig100

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 2:39 pm
southernbubby wrote:
What about Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck?
And don't forget Porkey πŸ– and Roadrunner.
They know just as much.
So anti-vaxers should understand that their leaders are not scientists or whistle blowers. They have as much scientific knowledge as cartoon characters and most of the world finds them just as comical.

I feel bad laughing at such a serious matter...thouhi I just can't stop LOL LOL LOL

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 3:34 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
The picture is at https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0.....on=4. Around the sixth row, 2nd or 3rd person from left. Sleeveless, long wavy blond hair. I know non-Jews and non-Orthodox Jews who look just like that.

Many Hassidim are poor, have heavy accents, and odd mannerisms. They're still Americans. In general, the ultra Orthodox don't look all that American. Do you realize how different we look? I don't cover my hair, and even so, I know I look different.

My guess is she one of Sussman's anti-vaxer Christians. I would be better able to tell if I saw her live.

You are continuing to show you aren't so familiar with Rockland County's Hassidim. Most Hassidim are poor on paper, but they dress in a refined gorgeous manner. Their kids often wear matching clothes, and their ubiquitous baby stroller is a top brand. Their jewellery and other accessories are lovely. Those that wear sheitals, wear perfectly styled ones. Look at the housing prices in Jewish neighborhoods. Poor people aren't buying them and paying taxes. Poor people aren't paying the food prices. And poor people aren't filling up the restaurants.

When I first moved to Monsey, I wanted to know if I was missing a yontiff because the population was so dressed up just to go to shopping.

Compare this with the typical illegal immigrant in Spring Valley who for most part walk around in tight stretch pants and tshirts. They lack refinement for want of a better word.

Honestly, detecting Jews is not a superpower in Monsey, even the ones who don't cover their hair. You have a one in three chance of getting it right.

Sunny Days

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 3:35 pm
mig100 wrote:
I feel bad laughing at such a serious matter...thouhi I just can't stop LOL LOL LOL

Its good & healthy. Lifelong immunity against depression Wink

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:17 pm
Squishy wrote:
My guess is she one of Sussman's anti-vaxer Christians. I would be better able to tell if I saw her live.

You are continuing to show you aren't so familiar with Rockland County's Hassidim. Most Hassidim are poor on paper, but they dress in a refined gorgeous manner. Their kids often wear matching clothes, and their ubiquitous baby stroller is a top brand. Their jewellery and other accessories are lovely. Those that wear sheitals, wear perfectly styled ones. Look at the housing prices in Jewish neighborhoods. Poor people aren't buying them and paying taxes. Poor people aren't paying the food prices. And poor people aren't filling up the restaurants.

When I first moved to Monsey, I wanted to know if I was missing a yontiff because the population was so dressed up just to go to shopping.

Compare this with the typical illegal immigrant in Spring Valley who for most part walk around in tight stretch pants and tshirts. They lack refinement for want of a better word.

Honestly, detecting Jews is not a superpower in Monsey, even the ones who don't cover their hair. You have a one in three chance of getting it right.

I do not mean to offend anyone by the following. I know what one considers beautiful is a matter of personal preference; it's not necessarily objective.

I grew up in a community that had a mix of many different types of religious Jews, including quite a few Chassidic families. I can tell the difference between Satmar and Toldos Aharon and Vizhnitz and various other sects, so this is not lack of familiarity. Regarding the families that I knew, I never considered any of them beautiful, even though objectively, they had lovely features. I thought the way they dressed made them look weird and bizarre. To me, they looked like characters in a costume party. The men, like people from the 18th century; the women, straight out of Jackie Kennedy's closet. But all from a costume party. That's when they look good. They don't always. I am not impressed by the women pictured at the anti-vax event, though as it happens most of them look yeshivish to me, not chassidish.

I don't think that dressing up in fancy clothes makes people necessarily look better. What may seem like high fashion to you seems bizarre to others. Also, realize that whatever Chassidic women are wearing is not exactly designer couture; it has to be translated considerably from the runways to accommodate modesty. It's a good thing that this can be done -- but don't kid yourself that anybody who is not frum looks at a Chassidic woman and thinks, "I want to look like that!" Kal v'chomer for Chassidic men.

And wearing fancy, dressed-up clothing doesn't make them look any better. Look at fashion magazines (now online): what is considered beautiful are mostly variations on casual clothes.

I am not saying this from a place of great distance. As I've said repeatedly, I look religious, and therefore out of place, too. I wear long skirts and sleeves covering my elbows. I keep my feet covered. I don't expose my collarbone. I don't kid myself that this makes me more attractive, whether or not I dress up. As a professional, I don't always stand out. But for example next week when I have to hike at a professional event ... I'm not kidding myself that my knee-length skirt over leggings, with sneakers, with long-sleeved tee, isn't going to stand out. Of course I'll look weird.

Most of us religious Jews are American, but we don't really look like Americans of the 21st century. It's worth saying because
(1) We should realize how it looks when we call others immigrants. We're the ones that look like immigrants.
(2) Because we look different and look old fashioned, we need to be especially careful of avoiding the chillul Hashem of this measles mess. We do not need to be considered backward and regressive. That is unfortunately what comes of anti-vax events like this. Of course it's not the clothing that makes the difference. But it is interesting how stories about the measles crisis lumps frum Jews with the Amish and with the Somalis, rather than with the nutty Upper West Siders and Pacific Northwesterners who do the same thing re vaxxing.

mig100

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:13 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I get what you are saying because 2000 people spent time and money this past Monday night listening to a line up of cult leaders spewing conspiracy theories.

At the same time, let's estimate that 5% are open minded enough to be willing to leave the cult and reaching out to them may result in them leaving the cult and taking others with them.

Is it worth it to reach out to those on the fringe?

bubby, to answer your questions honestly- this is something I've changed my mind on.

in the past - I did spend the time responding to all the anti- vax nonsense. I didnt think I can change anyones mind. I did think there were many others reading the threads -who were not neccessarily posting- who didnt feel strongly one way or the other and can easily be swayed by rediculously false "facts" the anti- vaxers posted.

now ive realized- there is no end to the nonesense the anti-vaxers will make up. the more we respond to them- the more they respond with more nonesesense. basically our responses were giving them a platform to post more and more

their tactics- have nothing to do with "facts", 'research" and 'science" ( although they claim they do) its all about getting to peoples emotions and fear-mongering-

you simply cant deal logically with irrational people. at this point - I think its better not to engage with them- which is why I dont.

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:16 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I do not mean to offend anyone by the following. I know what one considers beautiful is a matter of personal preference; it's not necessarily objective.

I grew up in a community that had a mix of many different types of religious Jews, including quite a few Chassidic families. I can tell the difference between Satmar and Toldos Aharon and Vizhnitz and various other sects, so this is not lack of familiarity. Regarding the families that I knew, I never considered any of them beautiful, even though objectively, they had lovely features. I thought the way they dressed made them look weird and bizarre. To me, they looked like characters in a costume party. The men, like people from the 18th century; the women, straight out of Jackie Kennedy's closet. But all from a costume party. That's when they look good. They don't always. I am not impressed by the women pictured at the anti-vax event, though as it happens most of them look yeshivish to me, not chassidish.

I don't think that dressing up in fancy clothes makes people necessarily look better. What may seem like high fashion to you seems bizarre to others. Also, realize that whatever Chassidic women are wearing is not exactly designer couture; it has to be translated considerably from the runways to accommodate modesty. It's a good thing that this can be done -- but don't kid yourself that anybody who is not frum looks at a Chassidic woman and thinks, "I want to look like that!" Kal v'chomer for Chassidic men.

And wearing fancy, dressed-up clothing doesn't make them look any better. Look at fashion magazines (now online): what is considered beautiful are mostly variations on casual clothes.

I am not saying this from a place of great distance. As I've said repeatedly, I look religious, and therefore out of place, too. I wear long skirts and sleeves covering my elbows. I keep my feet covered. I don't expose my collarbone. I don't kid myself that this makes me more attractive, whether or not I dress up. As a professional, I don't always stand out. But for example next week when I have to hike at a professional event ... I'm not kidding myself that my knee-length skirt over leggings, with sneakers, with long-sleeved tee, isn't going to stand out. Of course I'll look weird.

Most of us religious Jews are American, but we don't really look like Americans of the 21st century. It's worth saying because
(1) We should realize how it looks when we call others immigrants. We're the ones that look like immigrants.
(2) Because we look different and look old fashioned, we need to be especially careful of avoiding the chillul Hashem of this measles mess. We do not need to be considered backward and regressive. That is unfortunately what comes of anti-vax events like this. Of course it's not the clothing that makes the difference. But it is interesting how stories about the measles crisis lumps frum Jews with the Amish and with the Somalis, rather than with the nutty Upper West Siders and Pacific Northwesterners who do the same thing re vaxxing.

It seems like you are embarrassed about being identified as orthodox and are embarrassed about what even more frummer people than you are wearing. I feel sorry for you.

I have attended what is probably the most prestigious school in the country as myself. Not for one moment did I feel uncomfortable, nor do I feel I dressed as an immigrant. I think you once mentioned you were in academia which is why I brought that up. There are Americans who dress modest and don't appear as immigrants from a different era including myself.

Illegal immigrants don't dress like Americans for the most part. They have their parm style at least in Rockland County NY. And frum Jews don't dress like them in the slightest. It is a clear division.

In Rockland, we don't have Amish nor Somilis nor nutty upper westsiders nor people from the PNW. What we have us Hassidim and Christians who don't vax. These are easy to identify by dress and mannerisms.

FTR, I think some Hassidish women are beautiful. They meet objective standards of beauty. Not everything is with beauty is subjective.

giselle

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:30 pm
Too bad this was moved to the vaccination forum. Just noticed.

mig100

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:43 pm
giselle wrote:
Too bad this was moved to the vaccination forum. Just noticed.

Ugh I'm out of it then.

Anti vaxers have fun posting ur nonesense.

mig100

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:20 am
Yael can we look this thread??

I don't think it will take long for it to go way downhill with attacking each other.

We have enough anti- vax threads already. There's no point in another one.

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:27 am
I was telling some ladies about my grandson who has autism, and one lady, who had earlier mentioned going to the event at the Atrium and that she doesn't vaccinate, asked my if my grandson's handicap was the result of vaccines. I answered that the onset of the autism didn't seem to correlate with anything that happened in his life but that both vaccinated and non-vaccinated children had similar rates of autism and that not vaccinating would not provide protection from the development of autism.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics