Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How much does the Special Election in Flatbush today matter?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 8:58 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Nah, much better to destroy from within.

Instead she doesn't send her kids to yeshiva, publically encourages others to eat cheeseburgers, shows up in public places to speak badly on other Jews

Talking to an OTD girl and telling her a Cheeseburger sounds yum, isnt encouraging others to eat cheeseburgers.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 3:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Talking to an OTD girl and telling her a Cheeseburger sounds yum, isnt encouraging others to eat cheeseburgers.

If it's being aired live in front of thousands of other young teenagers then it is. And it went much further than just saying it sounds yum, did you actually watch it?

And even someone who is already OTD sometimes has some guilt, it's wrong to take that away and make them feel it's all okay.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 4:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did the other thread about this election disappear?

I think the same person who doesnt fit in and represent most of "Flatbush", would be a "star" in a place like Englewood, New Jersey, just to name one community, and there are many other communities along the lines of Englewood, NJ. Its just that Englewood came to mind first.

What do others think?

I think you’re wrong.
All of us wherever we are have Torah values, and have lines we don’t cross. This isn’t a matter of Flatbush (of all places) being an area where people aren’t accepting of others and are rigid and overly strict. Publicly mocking Torah, mitzvos, everything important to us the way she does? That won’t fly wherever decent people live.

princessleah

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:03 am
And yet a major part of her campaign was coming out against the new state regulations about secular curriculum in Yeshivas.

So... 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
Denim

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:33 am
princessleah wrote:
And yet a major part of her campaign was coming out against the new state regulations about secular curriculum in Yeshivas.

So... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Exactly.
Made as much sense as anything else she says.
If you’re a fan you know she’s no friend of our local Yeshivas and their administrations. To put it mildly.
For the person who thought she’d do well in Englewood-
Do they like politicians who change their positions on the issues at election time to fool dumb voters into electing them?
Does anyone?

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:36 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
If it's being aired live in front of thousands of other young teenagers then it is. And it went much further than just saying it sounds yum, did you actually watch it?

And even someone who is already OTD sometimes has some guilt, it's wrong to take that away and make them feel it's all okay.

Ramban said that it’s acceptable to say that non kosher food looks delicious but we don’t eat it because of halacha.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 7:51 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Ramban said that it’s acceptable to say that non kosher food looks delicious but we don’t eat it because of halacha.

And therefore?

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 8:07 am

Off topic, but it's the Rambam who says this (I believe in Shemoneh Perakim), not the Ramban.

imasoftov

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 2:18 am

amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Off topic, but it's the Rambam who says this (I believe in Shemoneh Perakim), not the Ramban.

Rambam did include that in Shemoneh Perakim but there's an earlier source, Sifra Kedoshim 8:12

I haven't found a discussion anywhere (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist) whether Rambam's source was a different text of the Sifra or he found it someplace else, the Sifra cites R Elazar ben Azaryah while Rambam mentions Rabban Shimon ben Gamaliel, there's a change in the order of the mitzvot they list and a different mitzva of kashrut is used (pig vs meat and milk), but they are otherwise so similar that it's the same text with differences, not just the same idea.

Rashi refers to the Sifra version in his commentary on Vaykra 20:26, also with some changes, but mentions R Elazar ben Azaryah.

Another correction, the text doesn't say "it's acceptable to say that non kosher food looks delicious" but "a person shold not say I don't want to violate these mitzvot" (which also include shaatnez and s-xual offenses - לבוא על הערוה, the translation of Rambam says "enter into an incestuous marriage" which I disagree with, the prohibitions are not only of incest, and they're forbidden also outside marriage). Not having seen the video in question, I leave the question of whether this source is relevant or not to people who care less about Torah and more about gossip.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries