Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How to survive the "change-over"

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:17 pm
After many years of starving as we attempt to kasher, line, bring in groceries, and actually be able to eat again, I've come up with some tips to help those making Pesach for the first time (or who've suffered similarly). (Of course if you change quickly, you won't need this, and please lend me your staff when you're done - human staff or magic staff)

First, set up full urn and toaster in a corner of dining room or other suitable spot. If you can get a mini-fridge that's also great. Stock with hot cups, coffee, tea, cocoa, your preferred sweetener, also some disposable.

Do some easy cooking (NON-CHOMETZ!) that's simple to serve & uses up your stuff.

I made tilapia a couple of nights ago with gluten-fee crumbs and put two pieces on each plastic plate, put that into a zip lock, along w some roasted veg. Then I can just hand 'em out (I suppose u could nuke them but we like em cold)

I like a pot of potatoes (yeah, I know, we'll have enough, but works for me). Also a pot of eggs. Today I boiled the eggs, peeled them right away, and cut in half.

(Tip for easy to peel eggs: pierce the large end with a safety or sheitel pin. Cover w cold water, bring to boil, turn off fire. Let sit covered 20 minutes. Peel under cold water.)

Put all the yolks in a plastic bag, squirted in mayo, mustard & ketchup, and squished away. Then spooned into whites. If I were fancy I'd have cut the tip of the bag & piped! Since I couldn't find any more large plastic plates, I put five halves on each small plate & put that into a sandwich bag. Now when anyone says they're hungry I can just hand them a plate. (If you don't like deviled eggs you can just give a whole one, but the yolks are usually so crumbly!)

OutATowner

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 6:28 pm
Good tips.
Also remember that kitniyos foods like rice cakes, beans, chickleas, etc are good. They should be eaten in a designated spot and cleaned up well, but you don't have to worry about chametz crumbs.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 6:35 pm
I have a screened in porch but any other designated spot (like the garage) is a perfect place to put a toaster oven. We continue eating chometz regularly until the day I Kasher. The family go onto the screened porch and eat there . On erev Pesach I use my outdoor blower and blow all the crumbs away. Once I self clean the oven , I still use it and make dinner . Either chicken and potatoes and salad or hamburgers and mashed potatoes and salad. So there is no day that we go foodless (even if the stove top is not lined yet, I'm still able to use the oven) After years of standing on long pizza store lines and getting stressed out over waiting and waiting to feed a starving family, we found this to be the better option.

sky

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 10:14 pm
My problem is I have little kids and no ‘dead end room’ my dining room has 3 entrances and is the center of the house. We also don’t have a garage. It’s a small house to no extra space. . We eat outside on a covered porch and no one is ever hungry. But if the weather is nasty it’s a problem.

My trick to no hunger is to plan detailed menus for lunch and supper that can be either heated on a grill or toaster and prepare in advance in my chametz freezer.

Grill chicken, lasagna, maccaronni, hot dogs and hamburgers, breaded fish, frozen pizza and pizza bagels....

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 12:02 am
Gluten free pasta with everything.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 12:44 am
I cook KLP food and serve it outside in buns or baguettes. No chometz in the house once I kasher.
There are plenty of gebrokts and kitniyus snacks available for this week too.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 1:23 am
Eating out costs a small fortune now that the kids are older. Tonight I made regular chometz suppers for the week and until the night of bedikas chometz that's what we're having. The problem is really where to store all the frozen meals, and the frozen pizza, for the week. Once my kitchen is turned over I can't use the freezer for chometz.

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 6:12 am
groisamomma wrote:
Eating out costs a small fortune now that the kids are older. Tonight I made regular chometz suppers for the week and until the night of bedikas chometz that's what we're having. The problem is really where to store all the frozen meals, and the frozen pizza, for the week. Once my kitchen is turned over I can't use the freezer for chometz.

Can't you double bag the chometz before putting in the freezer, and not open the bags till you reach your designated chometz spot?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 1:37 pm
Quote:
I like a pot of potatoes (yeah, I know, we'll have enough, but works for me). Also a pot of eggs. Today I boiled the eggs, peeled them right away, and cut in half.

(Tip for easy to peel eggs: pierce the large end with a safety or sheitel pin. Cover w cold water, bring to boil, turn off fire. Let sit covered 20 minutes. Peel under cold water.)

Put all the yolks in a plastic bag, squirted in mayo, mustard & ketchup, and squished away. Then spooned into whites. If I were fancy I'd have cut the tip of the bag & piped! Since I couldn't find any more large plastic plates, I put five halves on each small plate & put that into a sandwich bag. Now when anyone says they're hungry I can just hand them a plate. (If you don't like deviled eggs you can just give a whole one, but the yolks are usually so crumbly!)

I used to like deviled eggs when I made them rarely. I've been eating them for quite a few days now & I don't think I can look at another one for quite a while.... potatoes, BH, I never get tired of. Which is maybe why my shape seems to kind of resemble one...

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 1:25 pm
When you ask for practical advice it helps to give some practical details. Answers will differ depending on: Living with spouse or not? Cooperative spouse or not? Kids at home or not? If yes, age range? Are you and children physically healthy? Eruv yes or no? Friends or family you get along with nearby?

Possibilities will obviously be different for a physically healthy if emotionally frail woman living with a supportive husband near good friends, and a single mom with mobility problems living in a fifth floor walk up with five children with special needs in a neighborhood with no family or friends nearby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics