Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Cheated by a ‘frum’ magazine. Stealing?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

forgetit

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:38 am
I'm sorry OP. This is super duper frustrating.
Are you on Soferet, a frum group for writers? I think a number of imamothers are on it. If you're not, I'd suggest subscribing and posting there to see if anyone can offer you practical solutions. Since a few imamothers posted here that they had this experience, it must be that out of the 1,000 writers on the group others had the same situation.
Also, I wonder if this is one particular magazine that does this, or if its more than one that does this type of thing.
If you're an aspiring writer you'll anyway want to join Soferet...I think the info how to join is public but I'm not 100% sure so I don't want to post, but if you're interested pm me.

doctorima

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:40 am
What's the halachic justification to skip Bais Din and go straight to small claims court?

simcha2

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:41 am
Squishy wrote:
The threat to go to court is ineffective most times. It's better to file.

I agree that if they don't respond she should file.

ivfhelp

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:45 am
I'm very sorry this happened to you. I would try to work this out over the phone. I will advise you that if you do decide to go to small claim court, please use a beis din rather than a court. There are plently of responsible batei din. Some will handle small claims for reduced fees. Please don't take another Jew to court.

Cheiny

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 2:42 pm
doctorima wrote:
What's the halachic justification to skip Bais Din and go straight to small claims court?

Exactly what I was going to say...once again you have women here paskening shailos (incorrectly).

mirror

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 3:10 pm
I'm so desperate to get published that I would actually submit an article to such a magazine just to see my name in print, pay or not.

chestnut

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 3:29 pm
mirror wrote:
I'm so desperate to get published that I would actually submit an article to such a magazine just to see my name in print, pay or not.

Her name wasn't put on it!

Laiya

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:10 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Stop emailing and pick up the phone. Don't hang up until you get some answers.

This.

I'm guessing small claims court or b"d isn't worth it for the amount of money involved, although there's also the issue of proper attribution.

It is strange that they told OP her article was accepted. That make me wonder if it was a genuine oversight that can be worked out with a conversation. If it was an oversight, that's easy enough for them to fix.

mommyfish

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 7:18 pm
OP here.
It’s so nice to feel validated.
Thanks so much everyone, there’s lots of good advice here Smile

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:06 pm
Laiya wrote:
This.

I'm guessing small claims court or b"d isn't worth it for the amount of money involved, although there's also the issue of proper attribution.

It is strange that they told OP her article was accepted. That make me wonder if it was a genuine oversight that can be worked out with a conversation. If it was an oversight, that's easy enough for them to fix.

The only place that makes sense financially is small claims. I understand about the halachic aspect, but financially a BD doesn't pay. OP doesn't need an attorney in small claims while the other side does giving her leverage.

Does anyone here know approximate pay for an article?

forgetit

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:30 pm
Squishy wrote:

Does anyone here know approximate pay for an article?

Not enough to make any moves worth OP's while. B/w 7-10 cents per word for newbies.

doctorima

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 8:35 pm
The general going rate for articles in frum publications is $.10 per word, so depending on the length of the piece, it's probably between $100-$300 we're talking about.

I just don't understand how you can say, "I understand about the halachic aspect, but financially a BD doesn't pay." I agree that it's frustrating to lose leverage, but this is a frum site, and halacha is halacha. If her Rav or a competent BD allows her to go to small claims court, that would be something else, but otherwise, I don't understand advising her to do something that seems to explicitly violate halacha.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:14 pm
doctorima wrote:
The general going rate for articles in frum publications is $.10 per word, so depending on the length of the piece, it's probably between $100-$300 we're talking about.

I just don't understand how you can say, "I understand about the halachic aspect, but financially a BD doesn't pay." I agree that it's frustrating to lose leverage, but this is a frum site, and halacha is halacha. If her Rav or a competent BD allows her to go to small claims court, that would be something else, but otherwise, I don't understand advising her to do something that seems to explicitly violate halacha.

I would like to see chapter and verse (and/or Gemara / Rambam / Shulchan Aruch / modern responsa) on this. I've heard it repeatedly but never seen it in text. If the halacha is as general as you are saying, there's every incentive for a powerful organization to screw an individual. I'd be surprised if halacha mandates such widespread screwing.

(I have never taken anybody to court or Beis Din, so I have no experience with this.)

strawberry cola

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:00 pm
My neighbor is on the staff of one of the frum magazines and the editors are tremendously careful with this sort of thing. I don't know about the others, but I assume good people are in charge there too. I really think an assertive but respectful conversation will help take care of it.

gamanit

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:17 pm
please pm me

forgetit

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:24 pm
strawberry cola wrote:
My neighbor is on the staff of one of the frum magazines and the editors are tremendously careful with this sort of thing. I don't know about the others, but I assume good people are in charge there too. I really think an assertive but respectful conversation will help take care of it.

I don't know if she's on the same board of editors that OP is having an issue with. But maybe she can help advise OP? Realize that OP says she's sent repeated emails and not received a response. Really not ok.

Jalapeño

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:31 pm
RECORD THE PHONE CALL

Israeli_C

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 12:08 am
Utilise social media to name and shame them. Many buckle under the pressure.

mommy2379

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 1:42 am
Israeli_C wrote:
Utilise social media to name and shame them. Many buckle under the pressure.

I disagree with this for a number of reasons- I don't think it will be effective and OP will be fully burning all bridges. OP- I'm shocked by your story! I've written for the fum mags and never had anything like this happened to me, they are usually so careful! I may be able to give you some advice if you want to PM.

Israeli_C

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 1:54 am
mommy2379 wrote:
I disagree with this for a number of reasons- I don't think it will be effective and OP will be fully burning all bridges. OP- I'm shocked by your story! I've written for the fum mags and never had anything like this happened to me, they are usually so careful! I may be able to give you some advice if you want to PM.

I think that it depends on the specific details of OP's predicament, and it's true that it can backfire sometimes so I'd reserve it for situations where you really have nothing to lose. I personally found it very effective. A gemach in Jerusalem promised to put a wedding dress on hold for me and, when I came to pick it up 3 weeks before my wedding, they said that they'd already given it to another bride who was too big for the dress and she'd basically bust the whole dress wide open. Sorry! I was in shock, and yet they offered me zero compensation and just shrugged their shoulders.

I took to their Facebook page, posted the whole story both there and on a Facebook group for olim in Jslm and got huge support. On their page, the gemach was denying the whole story, however they started offering me a free dress as compensation in private mails. It can work, but only if all else fails.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics