Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Starting to dread looking like a wreck on 3 day Y"T Shavuos
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 6:05 pm
Where can I buy shabbos makeup in monsey?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:56 pm
Is there any store in BP or Flatbush where women can see 7thdayshine colors before purchase?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:33 pm
I got mine in 5T. Call and she may have someone that sells the product near you. 917-579-4074

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:40 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I got mine in 5T. Call and she may have someone that sells the product near you. 917-579-4074

I just emailed. Thanks.

How long have you been using her products?

Which products did you buy to start with, and how many do you have now?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:29 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Yes she sells eyeliner brushes.
If you are particular with lip colors, I would go and try it on before buying. Her studio is on central ave in the 5T. But people sell all over, so maybe you can find someone near you I'd you live far. PM her on insta to find someone. Shes really helpful.

Thanks I'll see if I can figure out how to message her.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks I'll see if I can figure out how to message her.

Try your luck with her email address. allison@shabbosbrushups.com

If you find out if theres a store near BP that sells her stuff, please post here, and so will I.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 10:50 am
ra_mom wrote:
Friday morning is still erev shabbos and shavuos starts motzei shabbos this year, hence a 3 day YT. But you can shower limb by limb on M"S or Sunday or Monday.

How does one's chest or back or private areas count as limbs? And those are the areas that need to be washed the most. How can one practically speaking wash one's chest or pelvic area without getting water on other parts of the body? This sounds very iffy to me. Certainly not all rabbis say this is permitted. We cannot wash anything other than hands and face.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 10:53 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
How does one's chest or back or private areas count as limbs? And those are the areas that need to be washed the most. How can one practically speaking wash one's chest or pelvic area without getting water on other parts of the body? This sounds very iffy to me. Certainly not all rabbis say this is permitted. We cannot wash anything other than hands and face.

Ask your own rav.
For me it's ok to soap up my chest on its own after getting it wet, and them stick my torso under the running water to wash it off. Same with every other part of my body, done individually. No need for the rest of my body to be kept dry while washing another part. Just each body part washed separately.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:26 am
Two BP stores sell Allison's makeup, 7thdayshine:

Heaven Scent

Lala Lipstick

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just emailed. Thanks.

How long have you been using her products?

Which products did you buy to start with, and how many do you have now?

I've been using for years now.
The lipstick and eyeliner are must-haves. I also have an eyeshadow that I use as inner corner highlight (makes my face look fresh and not tired), and a blush because I'm pale. I occasionally use concealer when needed.
I had to go to mikvah one Friday night, and then showed up to shul looking made-up, and the mikvah attendant saw me and looked all confused! LOL

cookiewriter

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 12:28 pm
L’Oréal self tanning serum (I hoard these!!!!!) use daily for a week before yontiv, and especially right after your EREV yontiv shower.
And get your lashes done professionally. Will make a HUGE DIFFERENCE

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Two BP stores sell Allison's makeup, 7thdayshine:

Heaven Scent

Lala Lipstick

I passed by Heaven Scent first so that's where I bought since they had all the colors for me to choose from, but you'll probably get better service at La La Lipstick.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 6:17 pm
How many lip colors are there?

Lala Lipstick has 5 colors.

Do they have them all?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 6:19 pm
I don't know. The colors that worked for my skin tone was Velvet. I had looked at the color Brick as well at La La Lipstick (I didn't notice that color at Heaven Scent, but at the end Velvet worked best for me any way)

Look on Instagram to check which colors you'd like to see in person, and ask for those colors by name in the salon.

Btw, shabbosbrushups.com is the same as @brushupsbyallison.
7thdayshine is a different company by Bracha Lourie.
I love Shabbos BrushUps.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Dec 04 2019, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 6:47 pm
What Green said on page 1. Unless you have a severely disfiguring condition like scars from a car crash or a port wine stain covering half your face, in which case you will almost surely be able to get a heter for heavily concealing makeup, wean yourself off the plaster and paint. How horribly sad that women with normal looks have allowed themselves to be persuaded that there is something wrong with their faces and they are fit to be seen in public only when wearing full camouflage. Get off that merry-go-round, learn to love your face just as it is (I'll bet you anything that your dh does) and taste freedom. Save the paint for special occasions and Purim and you'll never dread three day YT again--at least not because of your looks. Challenges like boredom, overeating, too many guests and non-showering may be harder to solve.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:01 pm
zaq wrote:
What Green said on page 1. Unless you have a severely disfiguring condition like scars from a car crash or a port wine stain covering half your face, in which case you will almost surely be able to get a heter for heavily concealing makeup, wean yourself off the plaster and paint. How horribly sad that women with normal looks have allowed themselves to be persuaded that there is something wrong with their faces and they are fit to be seen in public only when wearing full camouflage. Get off that merry-go-round, learn to love your face just as it is (I'll bet you anything that your dh does) and taste freedom. Save the paint for special occasions and Purim and you'll never dread three day YT again--at least not because of your looks. Challenges like boredom, overeating, too many guests and non-showering may be harder to solve.

...not very nice.... some of us wear makeup l'kavod shabbos and y"t, and that is something very special. Some of us are very pale, and have a natural, feminine desire to look presentable/decent.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:12 pm
zaq wrote:
Get off that merry-go-round, learn to love your face just as it is (I'll bet you anything that your dh does) and taste freedom. Save the paint for special occasions and Purim and you'll never dread three day YT again--at least not because of your looks. .

I thank Hashem every day for the face I have, because granted, theres a lot better ones out there, and theres worse (Im a tough rater and Id give my unmade up face at least a 6 out of 10) and yet, I look very different with the help of makeup and I very much miss it when I get a glimpse of myself in the mirror, when I cant put on fresh makeup.

I dont feel the need to apologize, sorry.

May a desire for makeup be everyone's worst vice.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:28 pm
zaq wrote:

Why do people who eschew makeup feel the need to belittle people who wear makeup, and state that they would look better without it? Yet they'd certainly be upset if I told them that THEY would look a whole lot better with some concealer, brow gel and mascara?

How terribly sad that women attack other women over such trivial matters.

I love wearing makeup.

There's no lack of freedom in it for me. Its something that I enjoy. I enjoy experimenting with different looks. It makes me happy.

And yes, I'll say it. There is not a woman alive who doesn't look better with the right cosmetics.

If its not for you, enjoy. But enough with the nastiness to women who enjoy makeup.

sky

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:29 pm

We only use cold water but can wash the whole body. But I can’t stand under frozen water so I spray it over my body with hose. Use foam soap and then hose off again. It is limb by limb but not on purpose. I focus on sweaty and smelly areas that need it most. I can breathe during its so cold. But still worth it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:02 pm

I used the wrong word. The rav told me one area under the water at a time. I like to say limbs - 1 hand at a time, etc. Ask your own rav and follow the halachic guidelines that you hold by. I certainly never said that every rabbi holds by showering on YT or shabbat makeup. But it certainly is rude to say that someone's halachic sanctioned guidelines are iffy.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics