Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
11yo dd got period first time
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:11 am
So my 11 year old daughter got period first time and I spoke to her about it long since. Question is how to deal with in school? How can she discreetly take pads to the bathroom without her whole immature class noticing?

chicco

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:14 am
I used to hide mine in my sleeve when I went to the bathroom.

amother
White

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:16 am
Double/triple/quadruple pad, so she can rip the top one off and have a fresh one underneath

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:16 am
Get her a cute little purse to put her pads in. If she carries it to the bathroom all during the month, nobody is going to know. The school bathrooms should have waste baskets in every stall.

Wish her a big Mazel Tov, give her a hug, and tell her it's wonderful, because a period means that her body is growing and working right. Buy her ice cream if you think she'll appreciate it.

If she's embarrassed, don't make a fuss. My parents let me go to my room and read a book, bought ice cream, and left it for me in the freezer for when I wanted to come out. My dad never said a word about my period my whole life. I am eternally grateful for them being able to read me so well.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:18 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Double/triple/quadruple pad, so she can rip the top one off and have a fresh one underneath

NO! That will just make her feel like there's something to be ashamed of, and she'll walk around feeling like she's wearing a diaper.

If anything, she can tuck a pad or two into the top of her tights.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:21 am
FF, I have yet to see or hear of a girl taking a purse with her every time she goes to the bathroom in school. She should do what all other girls do. Either push it up her sleeve or tuck an extra 1 or 2 into her tights.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:25 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
FF, I have yet to see or hear of a girl taking a purse with her every time she goes to the bathroom in school. She should do what all other girls do. Either push it up her sleeve or tuck an extra 1 or 2 into her tights.

Every girl in my school was purse obsessed. It was a big thing. (But I'm around Fox's age, so I guess that explains a lot! LOL )

I guess schools are different now. DD didn't mind carrying her purse, and she didn't care what people thought.

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:26 am
Inside knee socks, up leg of bike shorts/inside waist of tights.... whatever your haskafic dress code is. Do not take a bag to the bathroom.
The good news is that if she is in 5th grade, the girls are completely oblivious and will not notice. If she is in 6th, she is far from the only one.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:27 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Get her a cute little purse to put her pads in. If she carries it to the bathroom all during the month, nobody is going to know. The school bathrooms should have waste baskets in every stall.

Wish her a big Mazel Tov, give her a hug, and tell her it's wonderful, because a period means that her body is growing and working right. Buy her ice cream if you think she'll appreciate it.

If she's embarrassed, don't make a fuss. My parents let me go to my room and read a book, bought ice cream, and left it for me in the freezer for when I wanted to come out. My dad never said a word about my period my whole life. I am eternally grateful for them being able to read me so well.

My school didn't. To this day I can't figure out why. It would've made life so much simpler. I'm not sure whether my dd's school does. She's not at that stage yet, but I do wonder.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:28 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
Inside knee socks, up leg of bike shorts/inside waist of tights.... whatever your haskafic dress code is. Do not take a bag to the bathroom.
The good news is that if she is in 5th grade, the girls are completely oblivious and will not notice. If she is in 6th, she is far from the only one.

She's in 5th. Ok, will tell her to put up her sleeve.

baltomom

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:47 am
Does she wear a sweatshirt with pockets? In my girls' school I found that the girls around that age wear their school sweatshirt every day, regardless of the weather (probably because of self consciousness), so it's easy to keep a pad wrapped in a tissue in the pocket.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:57 am
baltomom wrote:
Does she wear a sweatshirt with pockets? In my girls' school I found that the girls around that age wear their school sweatshirt every day, regardless of the weather (probably because of self consciousness), so it's easy to keep a pad wrapped in a tissue in the pocket.

She wears school sweater but no pockets.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 12:02 pm
If she wears tights, have her tuck an extra pad in between her tights and underwear. If she does not wear tights, get her biker shorts to wear under her uniform skirt and do the same thing. No one will notice and she can keep it there all day until she needs it. I can't imagine my girls walking around with a pad up their sleeve! I have two teenage daughters and this method works great for them.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 12:06 pm
OP, if she's wearing a sweater she can keep an unwrapped pad in her shirt pocket.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:53 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
My school didn't. To this day I can't figure out why. It would've made life so much simpler. I'm not sure whether my dd's school does. She's not at that stage yet, but I do wonder.

I also missed having one when I was in school. DD told me there was none- I called the office and they put one in!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:15 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
OP, if she's wearing a sweater she can keep an unwrapped pad in her shirt pocket.

Her uniform shirt doesn't have pocket either! But thanks!

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:23 pm
Always overnights. Keeps you clean for 10 hours.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 5:25 pm
Can you get her a lightweight jacket with zip pockets? Like a sports/under armor type. Not weird to wear in summer in an air conditioned school.
Don't count on any pad lasting thru the school day. Plus, the odor problem.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 5:28 pm
I think what most girls do and the easiest solution is to stick an extra pad into the tights. U can pin it with a safety pin so it should stay in place.

Gerbera

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 6:07 pm
I volunteer at my kids school doing lunches and almost every girl in grade 6 and up wears a cross body purse/bag
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children