Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Buying an apartment/house before making aliyah

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:33 pm
Is this fairly common? DH and I really do want to make aliya but it probably won't be for a couple of years. However, we have friends who bought apartments before making aliya (one of our friends bought three years before moving). Is there any benefit to doing this except having a home to go to when you get to Israel?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:46 pm
If you're worried about real estate prices going up, that would be a reason to buy now. But until you're there and know for sure where you want to live, I don't think it's a good plan to buy now, and from across the ocean. I also think that new olim get certain benefits when buying that you would be giving up by buying now. You could check with NBN for details.

essie14

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:54 pm
I know quite a few people who have done this. The only advantage I can see is that you have a home as soon as you land. Otherwise it can be a huge headache to manage everything from abroad. And you might not like the neighborhood you bought in.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:17 pm
If you buy after making aliya you pay much less for tax

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:33 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
If you buy after making aliya you pay much less for tax

This depends on the cost of the house.

Yes, real estate prices keep going up here. If you are absolutely certain about where you want to live, then buy. I think for most people it makes sense to save up before aliya and rent when you first arrive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions