Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Allergy shots for a child?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 7:22 pm
DC's seasonal allergies are really bad! Is it healthy to give allergy shots to a child? Has anyone heard of any concerns with this?

forgetit

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:20 pm
I know 2 ppl who have done this successfully, but you have to be very consistent. I know that one of them is very alternative minded, and she did it/does it, but I never did the science myself.

octopus

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:25 pm
It works for 80% of children. If you are part of the 20% who it doesn't work for it stinks. Its a commitment of 3-5 years. It starts off as one a week, once every two weeks, once every 3 weeks until you graduate to one a month. This takes years.

forgetit

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:28 pm
octopus wrote:
It works for 80% of children. If you are part of the 20% who it doesn't work for it stinks. Its a commitment of 3-5 years. It starts off as one a week, once every two weeks, once every 3 weeks until you graduate to one a month. This takes years.

Say that again. I wonder if anyone graduates the once a month. The ppl I know didnt.
I use Zahlers allergease in advance of and during, allergy season for DC and it helps quite a bit.

srbmom

Post Tue, May 14 2019, 9:36 pm
Not children - but my mother and brother did it as adults, they stuck through the whole 3 years (they stopped completely each a few years ago) and it changed their lives.

meme6

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 12:17 am
I do it for my son he’s a new child I saw results the first year it’s hard work since u need to be consistent with appts. It’s way healthier then vitamins since u don’t know what the vitamins contains the shots contains the allergy they are allergic to so it builds immunity .

oneofakind

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:40 pm
Try stinging nettle herb. It's better than many medications. If you are desperate, it's a painful and pain in the neck process but can be very effective.

Boca00

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:05 pm
Are these the shots that work for food allergies or just seasonal?

meme6

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:06 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Are these the shots that work for food allergies or just seasonal?

Seasonal only

oneofakind

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:07 pm
I only know about seasonal.

octopus

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:08 pm
Not only seasonal. It could be for a pet or dust as well.

mommy12

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:15 pm
I had allergy shots as an adult and the change is incredible. I used to never be able to breathe clearly during most of the year because of how congested I was, and now it's just a minor inconvenience sometimes.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:30 pm
The nurse at my pediatrician said she tried it for family and it didn’t work. They recommended acupuncture, which worked amazing.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 11:26 pm
My dd5 has allergies to trees, grass, mold, dust etc. All year long her nose runs, she's stuffed up, etc. because of this. She's on over the counter allergy meds and lately we've been trying hard to make sure they are taken consistently and Baruch Hashem her nose is not running as badly. She is still quite stuffed up, can't smell, breathe through her nose, etc.
We're probably due for a well visit sometime soon and I remember her doctor mentioning last time another medicine to try if these don't work and also she mentioned allergy shots, which she may bring up again.
If anyone here has experience with this with young children in similar circumstances, can you share your thoughts? I don't know much about allergy shots and am trying to do my research.
We are also hoping to move soon from the home where she has lived all her life and that may change her exposure to some of her triggers. Hopefully for the better!
TIA!

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 11:32 pm
meme6 wrote:
I do it for my son he’s a new child I saw results the first year it’s hard work since u need to be consistent with appts. It’s way healthier then vitamins since u don’t know what the vitamins contains the shots contains the allergy they are allergic to so it builds immunity .
You wish the shots contain just the allergen.

octopus

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 11:35 pm
My child did it for 6 years and is currently not allergic to his/her allergens.

piegirl

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 2:29 am
I was just at the pulmonologist with a kid and the dr was super late. He said it was bc a child had a severe allergic reaction to his allergy shot. Said it’s rare, but does happen.

meme6

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 6:13 am
piegirl wrote:
I was just at the pulmonologist with a kid and the dr was super late. He said it was bc a child had a severe allergic reaction to his allergy shot. Said it’s rare, but does happen.

Yes it’s rare but can happen. After an allergy shot you have to sit there for half an hour to make sure no reaction. My son had slight reactions at times

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 9:03 am
octopus wrote:
My child did it for 6 years and is currently not allergic to his/her allergens.

How old was your child when he/she started? You had to do it every single month for 6 years?

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 9:07 am
meme6 wrote:
Yes it’s rare but can happen. After an allergy shot you have to sit there for half an hour to make sure no reaction. My son had slight reactions at times

Not the same, but perhaps similar, when we've done food challenges for a different child with food allergies, we had to be there for about 2 hours to slowly give the food a little at a time and monitor if there would be any reaction.
So I guess with allergy shots one needs to be prepared for a reaction, as well. Good to keep in mind.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics