Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child eats nearly 0 protein :(
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mha3484

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:44 pm
This is a weird question so you can totally ignore it....

Does your son get a lot of assistance during the day? I find that with kids who get "micromanaged" by teachers, therapists etc seek a way to exert any control over their lives and food is the easiest way to do it. Sometimes if that is the root cause you can work on that part and the eating will come later.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did anyone have this issue with their child?
I am wondering how it worked out... I am really hoping that one day he will just decide to start trying and liking more foods. Is that naive?

My nephew is the same.
He doesn't even eat much fruit and veg though. Basically just bread, rice, pasta and snacks.
Sometimes a bit of roasted chicken if it's made exactly the way he likes it (no other forms, he won't touch schnitzel etc.), yogurt or scrambled eggs, but that's it for his protein.

He hasn't grown out of it yet (he's only 7), but just wanted to show you that you're not the only one with this issue.

I don't agree with the other poster re forcing it. It won't help at all.

enjoying kids

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:56 pm
No American has died from lack of protein
My brothers were the same, and skinny as rails. They outgrew it sometime around their bar mitzvah

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:58 pm
OP I am the same as your son. I like very few foods. I do eat cheese but I do not get enough iron. I take an iron supplement and a multi every day, otherwise I feel very weak. But if your son has enough energy and you are not concerned about his weight, I would completely ignore the food issue. Sometimes mommy's stress will add tons of weight to the problem.

My advice is to leave it alone but do ask your doctor about which vitamins you should be giving him.

Stars

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:01 pm
Would he eat bamba? It has 55% protein.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:41 pm
There are lots of band aid "solutions," none of which are really smart long term options. I've said this recently on a thread about a one year old and got lots of hate for it. Anyway, I'm a big believer in a really good feeding therapist. Preferably with a toddler or preschool age, but that ship has sailed. Work together and figure out what he's avoiding, and why. It's often sensory related, which can be slowly desensitized. There are evidence based methods for increasing his repertoire of tolerated foods. Sometimes some other body systems are throwing things out of wack and making the child crave x and avoid y. Sometimes it's an attempt at controlling what he can in his life if he feels limited in his ability to control other aspects. Point is, this doesn't come from nowhere, and your best shot at actual remediation is to work on the source while simultaneously expanding his food options. Not to twist yourself into a pretzel to get him to eat alternative forms of each nutrient. Good luck Smile

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:50 pm
Welcome to my family OP, same sitch here with two of my wonderful kids.

One does eat a lot of cheese if it’s with a carb (pasta, pizza, sandwiches), but no fish / chicken / meat. Eggs only occasionally (2 eggs a week?)

The other hates milchik. Will eat very very small amounts of chicken or eggs very occasionally (a few bites per week!) But mostly lives off carbs.

Both eat fruit & some veggies.

My doctor doesn’t seem too worried. I’ve tried bribing, pressuring, explaining etc. It doesn’t work just makes kids resentful. Just keep gently offering & make meal times pleasant and pressure free. That’s my attitude now. (And def try some protein shakes, try a plain unflavored one either with chocolate syrup- will taste just like choc milk, your kid doesn’t need to know it’s not. Or mix in some fruit -my kids love strawberry banana.) Also don’t underestimate the milk, 2 cups a day is great!

Read a gr8 article by an expert -she wrote the parent is in charge of: what to serve & when.
The kid is in charge of: If to eat & how much. We need to try our best to offer healthy balanced meals & snack at times kids are hungry, but it’s the kid who decides if & how much he wants to eat. And never look at their plate or judge. Thought that was a great article.

aliavi

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 5:27 pm
momsrus wrote:
Wow

Someone’s judgmental.

I hope you’re perfect.

I’m not. I can recognize that not eating sustainably and refusing medical care are problems that take real parenting grit to resolve and don’t get better if not addressed. Like I said, it’s not easy.

flmommy

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 5:55 pm
Peas, spinach, kale, broccoli all have lots of protein and IMHO are more healthy then meat. I would just keep offering healthy food and bit stress about it.

dankbar

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 6:35 pm
You can get protein powder & sprinkle and mix into yogurts or hot cocoa or into applesauce without him knowing

Maryann

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 6:53 pm
I didn't read all of the responses but we don't necessarily need animal protein, some say it is detrimental to our health
As long as he eats fruit and vegetables and is strong and has energy I really really wouldn't worry
Good luck xxx ur a great mom!

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 7:05 pm
OP I have the same type of child(ren).
It's very likely that he has a (meanwhile) mild case of ARFID.

I have a thread here in which I explain ARFID. I will try to find it if I have time.

Good luck! It's hard.

cheerios

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 8:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think the main issue is that he does not even agree to TASTE something new. I often tell him to just taste and if he does not like it, he does not need to eat it!

My son does not eat any meat fish or chicken or any vegetables -- basically anything I make for supper except pizza. He always asks for cereal for supper. What got him to start trying new things is I told him he can ONLY have cereal if he eats something - ANYTHING - from supper. He so far has only tasted soup so I try to have a variety of soups each week. Hopefully he'll eventually try other foods but for now it's a start.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 8:14 pm
Guess what op? Pizza has a Lot of protein! Surprisingly, so do hot dogs! I’m not saying that these are healthy foods to eat but they sure do have lots of protein. And he drinks a little milk too... that’s good!
Ice cream has protein... even pasta. Try pasta with melted cheese..
don’t make a big deal.. he’s healthy and growing.. you said he’s tall. He’s fine! Buy kid friendly food and don’t worry so much how exactly he’s getting his protein.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:20 am
OP here. This thread is really encouraging - thank you!

For those who put protein powder in baked goods - how do I do this? Just add a spoon or two into my regular recipe? Or does more water need to be added?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:23 am
mha3484 wrote:
This is a weird question so you can totally ignore it....

Does your son get a lot of assistance during the day? I find that with kids who get "micromanaged" by teachers, therapists etc seek a way to exert any control over their lives and food is the easiest way to do it. Sometimes if that is the root cause you can work on that part and the eating will come later.

Interesting. He is relatively independent. In our home he is the oldest kid and does a lot on his own and we put a lot of trust in him. Also in school - he is one of the oldest in his class and needs very little assistance BH.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:26 am
Stars wrote:
Would he eat bamba? It has 55% protein.

He loves bamba, but hates PB. Go figure.
I usually only offer snack bags like that on Shabbos. Maybe I should reconsider...

Mayflower

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:30 am
How about nuts? Peanuts, cashew, pistachio, or a nuts/raisin mix.

Lentils/chickpeas, quinoa, oats (granola)...

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:32 am
Mayflower wrote:
How about nuts? Peanuts, cashew, pistachio, or a nuts/raisin mix.

Lentils/chickpeas, quinoa, oats (granola)...

None of the above, unfortunately.
I often serve nuts and my other kids like it. He doesn't.
I have made various forms of oatmeal cc cookies, oatmeal crumble, oatmeal/granola bars - he refuses.
There was one type of expensive granola chocolate bar (similar to "chewy" bars) that he likes. It is expensive but I do buy it sometimes.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:12 am
I just bought a milchig cholov yisroel granola bar that has 10 grams of protein!

Then again, a slice of pizza has 12 grams of protein!!!

A cup of chocolate milk has 8 grams of protein.

Plus most food has a gram or two of protein.

Sounds like he is not deficient in protein at all!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics