Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Tefillah curriculum

boots

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 10:47 pm
What curriculum do you use to teach tefillah? I'm looking for something that will make my kids (elementary school age) actually want to daven.

smss

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:25 pm
Ahh, this is a tough one. Why SHOULD kids want to daven? For them, it's boring, can be difficult if they struggle with kriah, same thing every day, they don't connect to the words.

I think the first thing is to figure out what's reasonable for YOUR child to daven. This is a big advantage of homeschooling. Don't push them to do more than they can handle (as far as their ability to sit still, attention span, and kriah skills) (I assume we're talking under bar/bas mitzvah).

Model davening yourself as well as talking to Hashem in your own words. Shevach, Bakasha, and Hodaa. "Hashem is so kind to me! I'm already feeling better and I was so sick yesterday! Hashem is the best doctor!" "Please Hashem make the light turn green." "Thank You Hashem that we found a good parking spot!"

Teach your kids to daven to Hashem for things that they want, and point out the ways in which they are answered.

Some kids really connect to davening for cholim or l'iluy nishmas someone.

Vary the format of davening time - tunes, what you say aloud and quietly.

Lastly, yes there are some good curriculums (?) (curricula?) to teach the meaning of tefillos. Look into Tefillah Power from the Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation. There's a beautiful scrapbook on chinuch.org for Shemoneh Esrei with lesson plans. I think there are also some nice videos for Birchos HaShachar.

And also, most classroom teachers do use some sort of incentive system for tefillah. Might not be a bad idea. Mitoch shelo lishma ba lishma.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:15 am
smss wrote:
Ahh, this is a tough one. Why SHOULD kids want to daven? For them, it's boring, can be difficult if they struggle with kriah, same thing every day, they don't connect to the words.

I think the first thing is to figure out what's reasonable for YOUR child to daven. This is a big advantage of homeschooling. Don't push them to do more than they can handle (as far as their ability to sit still, attention span, and kriah skills) (I assume we're talking under bar/bas mitzvah).

Model davening yourself as well as talking to Hashem in your own words. Shevach, Bakasha, and Hodaa. "Hashem is so kind to me! I'm already feeling better and I was so sick yesterday! Hashem is the best doctor!" "Please Hashem make the light turn green." "Thank You Hashem that we found a good parking spot!"

Teach your kids to daven to Hashem for things that they want, and point out the ways in which they are answered.

Some kids really connect to davening for cholim or l'iluy nishmas someone.

Vary the format of davening time - tunes, what you say aloud and quietly.

Lastly, yes there are some good curriculums (?) (curricula?) to teach the meaning of tefillos. Look into Tefillah Power from the Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation. There's a beautiful scrapbook on chinuch.org for Shemoneh Esrei with lesson plans. I think there are also some nice videos for Birchos HaShachar.

And also, most classroom teachers do use some sort of incentive system for tefillah. Might not be a bad idea. Mitoch shelo lishma ba lishma.

My daughter made the most gorgeous scrapbook for shemone esrei. We also have amen program. I answer amein to birchas Hashachar. There are stickers in siddur next to each bracha to remind of meaning.
And don’t go too fast. Shemone esrei or brachos is can take a year to learn and internalize.
Also a lot can be sung out loud together. Like hallel, az yashir, the hallelukas. To make it more enjoyable.

teachkids

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:47 am
Something I like to do with older kids is when introducing a new tefillah I have then look for words or phrases they recognize to figure out what we're saying. It makes it a bit more theirs

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 11:24 pm
Did you do the scrapbook yourself or use some template?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling