Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Queens vs Far Rockaway NY

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 3:27 pm
Can someone please help with comparing and contrasting these two neighborhoods?
Housing costs, school costs, school choices, frumkeit style, standards of living, etc?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 4:54 pm
Far Rockaway is technically in Queens, just FYI. Queens is a large borough with many neighborhoods. Which ones are you interested in?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 5:02 pm
Thank you for clarifying! I actually didn't realize that. I thought FR is near the five towns.
I was thinking about Kew Gardens Hills.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 5:07 pm
FR is near the 5T, but it's technically in Queens. That makes a difference for taxes and services and stuff like that.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 6:10 pm
Just checking that you're referring to Far Rockaway (and not Bayswater section of Far Rockaway). Far Rockaway is a lovely suburban area, (near the ocean) with a decent selection of shules and Yeshivas of varying types. There are many shiurim and activities as well. There's decent shopping - kosher supermarkets and Costco nearby in the 5 towns. A car is pretty necessary there, but parking is plentiful (and most houses have private driveways). Mist families have 2 cars. If you work in the city, you most probably need to take the LIRR (which is expensive), and depending on where you are in Far Rock you need to drive there). There is a subway to downtown NYC, but a long walk/drive (and not in best area). There are various types of people. KGH is closer to the city (although you need to take a bus to the subway), has smaller homes (many attached homes, without yards, and parking). Shopping doesn't require a car as much (if you're near Main St). You probably get more for your money when buying in Far Rockaway (larger and backyard). People are probably more laid back, simpler in KGH. Although Far Rockaway has many lovely people. Both neighborhoods are good choices.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 6:14 pm
Is Bayswater the more affordable part of Far Rockaway?

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 6:24 pm
Yes, Bayswater is the more affordable section of Far Rockaway. Very nice, friendly, down to earth people. There are large homes, not as safe an area, not as large selection of shules.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 6:31 pm
Also look into Inwood. It's right near Far Rockaway and housing is cheaper. There are many nice families moving in there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 6:57 pm
Can you please give more details, including how they are similar and different to each other? And if anyone can share housing costs it would be helpful. For now I would just want to rent.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:14 pm
Quote:
And if anyone can share housing costs it would be helpful. For now I would just want to rent.

I've been OOT for awhile but lived in both FR and then KGH before moving. They are probably two of the most expensive neighborhoods outside of Manhattan for what you get for your money.
Far Rockaway (not Bayswater or Inwood) houses go for close to 1 million and many people knock those down and rebuild because the homes are old. You do usually get a yard and driveway and it feels more suburban than KGH. If you're willing to live further out by Darchei I believe the prices are a little cheaper. I don't know rent prices
In KGH you'll probably pay in the 750k+ range for a 3 bedroom house attached on both sides. And then need to renovate. Detached homes can go for much more than that. Rent on a 3 bedroom house is probably in the $3000 range

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 7:19 pm
Thank you. I'd be more interested in renting a 2-3 bedroom apartment rather than buying anything at this point. Looking for a less expensive area, I know it's all expensive but I'm interested in options in NY and I think this area would be a better fit for me than other NY areas.

librarylady

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:41 pm
To get a feel for the current real estate market in KGH, try subscribing to the yahoo group KGHshuls. There are rental listings on there all the time. A 2-3 bdrm apt would probably be somewhere between 2-3000/mo depending on how nice it is.
No idea what FR community is like but KGH is relatively nice. Nothing beats OOT though.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 1:48 pm
The FT/FR site is FTshules. You can post your criteria for an apartment on there, or look at properties lusted. I recently saw a listing for a 3 bedroom apartment near Darchei Torah for $2300 & a 4 bedroom near B 9 for $2700. Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2019, 2:03 pm
Thank you for sharing those resources. I guess I'd need to follow them for a while to see the range.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:34 am
The KGH group must be hidden because it's not turning up in search on yahoo groups.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:41 am
KGH Shuls isn’t on yahoo groups anymore; it migrated to groups.io

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:48 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
KGH Shuls isn’t on yahoo groups anymore; it migrated to groups.io

Thank you! Got it. Wow, huge group though - over 10k members?!

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:12 am
Former kgh here...

I moved to Lakewood NJ
You can rent a 3 bedroom apartment here for $1100
(A 5 bedroom house for $2400!)

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:12 am
Can we stay on topic please, Lakewood is not relevant to me.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! Got it. Wow, huge group though - over 10k members?!

The Five Towns shul list is probably even bigger. Many people join the KGH shul list from other areas.

I've lived in FR and have a lot of friends in KGH so I know both areas fairly well, though I know FR better obviously. Rental market in both areas is expensive, though I would say FR is a tad less expensive. A 3 bedroom apartment in FR will probably be in the $2,100-$3,000 a month range, depending on location and condition. I would guess that a 3 bedroom in KGH would start at $2,500 and go up from there, also depending on location and condition.

I think the 'types' of people are similar, but in KGH a large portion of young families are renters, because they absolutely cannot afford to buy there. In FR, a large portion are renters too but there are also more and more young families buying 2 family homes on the outskirts, so it's not quite as transient as KGH. And I have heard that it can be hard to find your place if you're not a chofetz chaim family. I have always prefered FR because I think it's a little more diverse, the parking is easier (in some areas), and it is a nicer looking place in general (IMO).

If you have any other specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating