Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Cheated by a ‘frum’ magazine. Stealing?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:05 pm
watergirl wrote:
And can you imagine if everyone who committed theft used “I didn't know the particular laws regarding xyz? Thats quite the slippery slope.

This may fly with the first offense. Granted that these are established magazines that were made aware of their ignorance in these matters long long ago.
Interesting to note: Dan Lkaf Zechus is a mitzva when you need to be dan. When something is outright wrong, you don't need to dan because it's not a question whether it's right or wrong.
When it's wrong it's wrong.
And when you commit the same crime over and over again, you are a whopping mayzid!

MiracleMama

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:10 pm
krembo wrote:
I don't think people at this magazine are deliberately trying to steal, ch'v. I think the people working there don't have training in copyright and fair use, and it doesn't cross their mind that something like this isn't okay. The people who take these jobs are people who love reading and writing and are delighted to have a job where they get to produce a magazine that brings pleasure to frum women. They don't have bad intentions.

(I had the same experience as the poster upthread, of them publishing something of mine after I told them I didn't agree with their edits and didn't want it published the way they had changed it. It still bothers me, years later. But I don't think it was with negative intentions that they did it - just they were under pressure to get the magazine out. Really wrong and unprofessional, but not malicious.)

I don't have any training in copyright and fair use. I also am a BT without the benefit of a solid Jewish education in halacha. It doesn't take much besides a bit of common sense and decency to know this is just wrong.

krembo

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:11 pm
I think that the lower level people get hired on with no background and just do what they're told to do. They don't know anything about copyright, and they don't know anything about similar incidents that happened before their time. They're under a time crunch, they're trying to put the magazine out on time and keep their boss happy. They're thinking about what to make for supper, and about getting out of the office on time to run a couple of errands before they get home.

Doesn't mean it's right, of course.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:14 pm
krembo wrote:
I think that the lower level people get hired on with no background and just do what they're told to do. They don't know anything about copyright, and they don't know anything about similar incidents that happened before their time. They're under a time crunch, they're trying to put the magazine out on time and keep their boss happy. They're thinking about what to make for supper, and about getting out of the office on time to run a couple of errands before they get home.

Doesn't mean it's right, of course.

I can't control myself here. Too much injustice.
It's baloney. Any self respecting magazine is very careful with what they publish. They will re edit the same thing a hundred times so it can fit their specifications. All of a sudden they get lazy when it comes to the origins of the paper or the surrounding details of a the contributor or writer? sell me the Brooklyn Bridge

krembo

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:14 pm
MiracleMama, I agree with you, it seems like a no-brainer. But a lot of things that seem obvious to me don't seem obvious to a lot of other people. It's weird. There are a lot of cultural expectations and life experiences that factor in to "common sense," so things I take for granted, other people don't.

krembo

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:16 pm
ShishKabob, so what's the alternative? That people there deliberately and maliciously did something they knew was wrong? I guess I have a hard time believing that.

mommy2379

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:29 pm
It doesn't seem malicious to me- it seems like the publication runs in a state of disorganization and someone completely dropped the ball- I.e. the story was sent to editing as an IDEA, not as a piece of work, editor rewrote, sent it off to be proofed, the story ran and never once was OP contacted. I'm almost 100% sure something like that happened-these mags are crazy busy, the editors are overwhelmed and short staffed and yes, mistakes happen. But OP needs an apology and compensation pronto.

forgetit

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:15 pm
Please note that:
1. Not all magazines are the same. Some are more professionally run and more yashrus than others and we don't have to discredit all magz. bec. of Op's and others experiences.
2. OP's story is different than those who had their words edited. I'm not saying its right, but a magazine does invest a couple of rounds of editing and typesetting, graphics, etc. and to be told at the last minute that we want to pull the story doesnt fly with them. THat doesnt make them right. I know. They have to have a better process and this shouldn't be happening at all, but I'm giving you the other side.

Laiya

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 3:49 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I can't control myself here. Too much injustice.
It's baloney. Any self respecting magazine is very careful with what they publish. They will re edit the same thing a hundred times so it can fit their specifications. All of a sudden they get lazy when it comes to the origins of the paper or the surrounding details of a the contributor or writer? sell me the Brooklyn Bridge

If the intent was to rip her off, why send an acceptance letter?

I'm curious, though, if this particular magazine has writers sign a contract. That makes oversights less likely, and protects both sides.

2cents

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:00 pm
Hi. Can the OP or the poster who said that something similar happened to her pls PM ltachlis which magazine it was? I have a submission that I've been preparing, a personal medical story, and I would want to know what to look out for, from whom. Thanks.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:05 pm
wrote:
Small claims court, if OP wins, will not only make sure she gets paid but may also make the other side pay retribution. So this whole thing about losing more than she gains may not even apply.

Her bridges are already burned, btw. Oh, and for those advocating bais din: Please point me in the direction of a B"D that resolved a similar shaila to the satisfaction of the little guy--and not the big frum company on whose Board of Directors many of them or their friends sit.

Why are you so sure her bridges are burned? Maybe it is just that magazine. But why would anyone encourage her to get a "name" that might well get her if not blacklisted, leave people wary of doing business with her?

I just want to urge everyone to tread carefully. You do not want to remember your words from this thread when you say "ya'atznu ra."

ectomorph

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 4:23 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Why are you so sure her bridges are burned? Maybe it is just that magazine. But why would anyone encourage her to get a "name" that might well get her if not blacklisted, leave people wary of doing business with her?

I just want to urge everyone to tread carefully. You do not want to remember your words from this thread when you say "ya'atznu ra."

Exactly. If you become known as a litigious person, you lose out on a lot of opportunities.

strawberry cola

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 5:48 pm
Let's stop specualting and wait until op tells us what response she receives to her phone call.

dena613

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 8:02 pm
I've had two articles published, one in each of two popular magazines.
I was a no-name, newbie (still am, because I haven't gotten accepted since).
Both times, I was paid, my name was in the byline, and they let me see the final version.
So let's not just vilify the magazines. It may have been a mistake.
But yes, the mags are not very forthcoming and easily reached, in my experience.

Studious

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 1:48 am
mommy2379 wrote:
It doesn't seem malicious to me- it seems like the publication runs in a state of disorganization and someone completely dropped the ball- I.e. the story was sent to editing as an IDEA, not as a piece of work, editor rewrote, sent it off to be proofed, the story ran and never once was OP contacted. I'm almost 100% sure something like that happened-these mags are crazy busy, the editors are overwhelmed and short staffed and yes, mistakes happen. But OP needs an apology and compensation pronto.

I agree that mistakes can happen. Two problem (IMHO) with your description: (a) how would anyone at the magazine interpret the story OP submitted as "an idea" which they can use without her consent (I assume that the story looked and smelled like a story and did not have a cover letter stating "here is a free idea which you guys can use however which way you want") and (b) they are ignoring her emails.

mommy2379

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:29 am
I don't have all the answers, but as someone who works in the industry I'm having a really hard time believing they just outright stole OP's work...I've never had a bad experience in all my years of freelancing and it really seems like something got majorly messed up while the story went from one department to the next. Why would they send an acceptance letter if they were just going to steal her story and not pay her??? That part leads me to believe there was a mistake.

aricelli

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:28 am
mommy2379 wrote:
I don't have all the answers, but as someone who works in the industry I'm having a really hard time believing they just outright stole OP's work...I've never had a bad experience in all my years of freelancing and it really seems like something got majorly messed up while the story went from one department to the next. Why would they send an acceptance letter if they were just going to steal her story and not pay her??? That part leads me to believe there was a mistake.

Do you get a chance to see the finished copy before it goes out to print?

mommy2379

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:23 am
aricelli wrote:
Do you get a chance to see the finished copy before it goes out to print?

Always.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:50 am
krembo wrote:
ShishKabob, so what's the alternative? That people there deliberately and maliciously did something they knew was wrong? I guess I have a hard time believing that.

Krembo you sweet summer child.....

carnation

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:16 am
If this happened to me, I wouldn't invest time and effort to reach them. I would just run and never deal with this magazine again. I would tell myself to feel greatful that I hadn't invested more with this company.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics