Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Haredi school for BTs, Gerim, Sfardim, etc.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:04 am
I know there are Sfardi schools, but many are telling me they are not up to par....(?)

Has anyone tried establishing a co-op/cheder for those of us who are Haredi on most if not ask aspects for the "rejected" kids? Cannot put my FFB son in a cheder where he will be beaten, our family snubbed, etc. Nor will he go to any Torani or Dati place. We need Haredi hashkafa w/o the dangers & politics!

Israeli_C

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:23 am
Oy, I'm also going through the same issue. I can't put my kids in a sfaradi school because they are very obviously not sfaradi!! The nearest chabad cheder is too far away. Torani and dati places are available in abundance but are simply not what we're looking for in terms of hashkefa. It's a difficult situation to be in.

nia73

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:25 am
Are there regulations limiting us from developing our own? At least like OP said, a cooperative. Like an underground thing if necessary..... I know there are lots of homeschoolers such as myself for this very reason.....

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know there are Sfardi schools, but many are telling me they are not up to par....(?)

Has anyone tried establishing a co-op/cheder for those of us who are Haredi on most if not ask aspects for the "rejected" kids? Cannot put my FFB son in a cheder where he will be beaten, our family snubbed, etc. Nor will he go to any Torani or Dati place. We need Haredi hashkafa w/o the dangers & politics!

Why is your DS not getting into a regular cheder? Are you in Jerusalem?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:43 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Why is your DS not getting into a regular cheder? Are you in Jerusalem?

Well maybe I am missing something. We are banging our heads against the walls TRYING to get him in. We are Sephardic baal teshuvahs (maybe a good post for tjat forum asa spin off). But really. The isolation is harder on a lot of ppl more than we talk about. Like a hush hush thing.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well maybe I am missing something. We are banging our heads against the walls TRYING to get him in. We are Sephardic baal teshuvahs (maybe a good post for tjat forum asa spin off). But really. The isolation is harder on a lot of ppl more than we talk about. Like a hush hush thing.

OP, where do you live?

where I live (beit shemesh) there are many schools for sefardi BTs. Also there are ashkenazi schools that have quite a few gerim, bts (sefardi and ashkenazi) that are not difficult to get into.

Usually it's the FFB ashkenazi or sefardi schools that are more exclusive.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:43 am
There is a chain of sefardi schools called Sukat David.
There is one in Beit Shemesh and one in Jerusalem. They have been around for many years, and I know quite a few sefardi BTs who send there and did not have a difficult time getting accepted.

Here is their info:
http://www.torahindex.com/he/I.....=3689

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:45 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
OP, where do you live?

where I live (beit shemesh) there are many schools for sefardi BTs. Also there are ashkenazi schools that have quite a few gerim, bts (sefardi and ashkenazi) that are not difficult to get into.

What I am seeing is the shtark divide... Too modern or too closed.... Not intetested in my son learning about Disney movies and sports.... I mean FFB is all he knows. I guess u can say 1st generation. So to put him in the modern environment is not easy. I just dnt know. Crying

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:01 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
OP, where do you live?

The schools I am thinking of are not modern at all.
None of the kids have TVs at home. Maybe 50% of the student body's parents have smartphones, but that will be in many FFB schools as well. The smartphone policy is a difficult one for schools to enforce because many parents show that they have kosher phones but they also "secretly" have smartphones.
Also, many of the fathers are in kollel and many work. There will be a mixture.

If you live in BS, let me know and I can help more. I am also a sefardi BT and know a lot about the schools.
Good luck!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Speak to other Sfardi BT's with older children and experience. Speak to your Rav.
It's a hush hush thing IMO because the subject is very non-PC and very touchy and it *will* end up in hurt feelings and resentment. The "shed ha'edati" is Pandora's box and letting out the geenie from the bottle.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:18 am
Also check out Torat Eliyahu in Beit Shemesh.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:28 am
If you're willing to move /travel to rechovot I think you might find eitz chaim cheder to be a good option.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 8:24 am
Go to a school for everyone with thz right practice. Sefardi school, ashkenazi school??

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:42 pm
I live in Jerusalem. A few things I want to mention about Haredi Chinuch in Israel which some readers may not be aware of:

1. Almost all 1st grade-8th grade (Kita Alef-Tet) Beis Yaakovs in Israel are Chinuch Atzmai, directly under the Haredi Misrad HaChinuch, meaning they cannot refuse to accept you if you are from their surrounding area. If you live in Ramat Eshkol for example, there is a Beis Yaakov serving that area (Beis Yaakov Hatzafon) which by law MUST accept you, so long as you are Haredi. Same thing for Bayit VeGan (Beis Yaakov Bayit VeGan), Geula (Beis Yaakov Merkaz- which has many Sefardim btw), and etc. Every area in Jerusalem has its own Beis Yaakov which is forced to accept all Haredi girls in the area.

2. Often your locally assigned Beis Yaakov will tell you they don't have to accept you, because they think you are a 'frier' chutznik who doesn't know any better. They will try to pull a fast one on you- happened to me and many of my friends. Know that the principal of a Beis Yaakov or Chinuch Atzmai Talmud Torah MUST accept you by law if you are 1) Haredi; 2) from the local that school serves. If the school refuses to accept you (and this happens all the time), you must go to the Haredi Misrad HaChinuch on Safra Square, and the very nice ladies there will take cake of things for you real quick. They are used to this, especially with Sefardim and people from Chutz L'Aretz.

2. Many areas around Jerusalem also have their own Beis Yaakovs under Haredi Misrad HaChinuch, so check around and see if your area has the same.

3. Talmud Torahs which are Chinuch Atzmai and consequently under Misrad HaChinuch also cannot refuse you, if you are Haredi and assigned to that local.

If you want to know which Beis Yaakov and/or Talmud Torah you must to go to in your area, go to your local Haredi Misrad Hachinuch. I personally dealt with this issue and learned a lot. So I hope my experience can be of help to you.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:58 pm
This is a very interesting thread. We've had threads about moving to Israel, why doesn't everyone move to Israel, why would anyone not want to live in Israel. This thread is showing off one of the not so nice aspects of living in Israel. I live in the New York/ New Jersey area. My kids. my friends' kids, my nieces and nephews are all in non-chassidic mainstream yeshivas and bais yakov type schools. They're all mixed. There are sefardim, ashkenazim, bt's, ffb's, all in the same schools. There's no such thing as someone not getting in because they're sefardic.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:00 am
Op where do you live? Another rose described really good option for BS.

I live in Jerusalem and send to that Type here.

salt

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:11 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
This is a very interesting thread. We've had threads about moving to Israel, why doesn't everyone move to Israel, why would anyone not want to live in Israel. This thread is showing off one of the not so nice aspects of living in Israel. I live in the New York/ New Jersey area. My kids. my friends' kids, my nieces and nephews are all in non-chassidic mainstream yeshivas and bais yakov type schools. They're all mixed. There are sefardim, ashkenazim, bt's, ffb's, all in the same schools. There's no such thing as someone not getting in because they're sefardic.

I have to say that your school sounds pretty unusual for American charedi schools/cheders too, going by the amount of threads here about kids not getting into the schools they want. Maybe not because of ethnic background, but there are countless other reasons (driving, for example??!). Or maybe it's just the chassidic ones that are picky.
In Lakewood can you just pick your school and get your child in?

But yes I agree with you, the ashkenazi/sefardi discrimination here in the charedi sector is bad.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:21 am
I Jlem. But I should add.... Being only a few generations from gerim. Having darker skin (aka Black) has a ripple effect on how kids are viewed. They are too young to understand but the day is coming. So even the idea of an Ashkenazi FFB cheder is out of the question.

The options listed here are very helpful. will keep trying or like on amother stated... Maybe make our own????

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I Jlem. But I should add.... Being only a few generations from gerim. Having darker skin (aka Black) has a ripple effect on how kids are viewed. They are too young to understand but the day is coming. So even the idea of an Ashkenazi FFB cheder is out of the question.

The options listed here are very helpful. will keep trying or like on amother stated... Maybe make our own????

Absolutely start a school. It won't be easy, but you'll be doing a chesed for generations to come.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 6:15 am
OP, can you have a Rav call for you?
schools usually want to be in touch with someone who knows the family
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics