Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child eats nearly 0 protein :(
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 1:28 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I just bought a milchig cholov yisroel granola bar that has 10 grams of protein!

Then again, a slice of pizza has 12 grams of protein!!!

A cup of chocolate milk has 8 grams of protein.

Plus most food has a gram or two of protein.

Sounds like he is not deficient in protein at all!

Wow! I did not think there's so much in the above foods. Can you please share the name of that granola bar? I'd be so happy if he can eat such a thing for breakfast...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 1:50 am
https://www.amazon.com/Grab1-P.....3SA16

The one I bought was chocolate chip flavor

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 6:05 am
I would think about allergy tests/seeing a gastro. Sometimes kids avoid entire food groups because they don't feel good when they eat them, but it can be subtle enough that they don't know that's why- they perceive that feeling as "I don't like that food." Dd started refusing dairy, and we eventually found out she's lactose intolerant.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:00 am
My 12-year-old recently decided to start eating meat. He went from barely eating any proteins to loving his roasts, corn beef, deli, meatloaf, burgers, etc. He decided on Rosh Hashana that he wanted to try the roast, and after that he tasted more foods and decided that he likes them. He still doesn't drink milk or eat cheese or chicken, but he always liked eggs, so that was his main protein, and he rarely had more than 3 eggs a week. There is hope for your kid. Just make food that smells good, and in a few years, he may be brave enough to taste it.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:17 am
I have a friend who's DS is Autistic. For YEARS he would only eat plain cheese pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The doctor told her that pizza has enough protein and carbs for him to be OK, and that she shouldn't fight him on it. One day, he got curious, and tried a bite of something else. He still eats mainly carbs and cheese, but he has at least 10 foods he will eat now.

I used to make "busy mommy cookies" for DD. She could grab a couple of these on the way to school, and she never had any idea how good they were for her.

I'd buy a box of cake mix, and add extra eggs, protein powder, instant oatmeal, flax seed powder, finely ground nuts, and an assortment of dried fruits like raisins, cranberries, blueberries, and dates. The taste of the cake mix pretty much masks everything, and the added fruit makes it even more sweet.

I like spice cake mix, but you could make any type you want, or even make the cake mix from scratch and use WW flour. The batter needs to be stiff enough to make drop cookies, not thin like cake batter.

You can make a double batch, and freeze the extras. Take out a week's worth at a time.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:24 am
enjoying kids wrote:
No American has died from lack of protein
My brothers were the same, and skinny as rails. They outgrew it sometime around their bar mitzvah

I refused all protein as a kid/teenager. Pretty sure I'd be at least an inch or two if I hadn't. But I was pickier than OP describes.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:18 am
When I was little the pediatrician told my mom that for adults pizza is not health but the opposite is true for children it's very healthy

I had a very picky eater that only liked breakfast food and junk. She got much better. First I did give in a little because I felt the part about not tasting anything is somewhat about control. She would suspiciously taste something and automatically say she didn't like it. It was very important for the child to trust me. But within reason. Second 6-8 age I would talk to my kids how certain food help us grow. Like sara is very strong because he loves salad. Salad makes up strong. Dina likes meat that why shes very tall. And too much candy ruins our teeth even when we brush and can make skinny people fat. You need to eat a balance meal. Also all food can be tried with ketchup, salt, chocolate syrup. She still doesnt like chicken or meat. But she eats a drop of chicken soup with croutons and noodles in it. It counts for something. And vegetables soup we dissolved Lima beans in it

As long as hes not overweight try not such healthy options like fried potatoe, white rice than add bite size chicken nuggets. Cold cuts, chocolate covered chicken

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:30 am
cuties' mom wrote:
My 12-year-old recently decided to start eating meat. He went from barely eating any proteins to loving his roasts, corn beef, deli, meatloaf, burgers, etc. He decided on Rosh Hashana that he wanted to try the roast, and after that he tasted more foods and decided that he likes them. He still doesn't drink milk or eat cheese or chicken, but he always liked eggs, so that was his main protein, and he rarely had more than 3 eggs a week. There is hope for your kid. Just make food that smells good, and in a few years, he may be brave enough to taste it.

This is encouraging. Thank you!
My other kids like meat. I'm hoping that will also somewhat encourage him to try it one day.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:32 am
I disagree with many of the posters here. If your child eats a lot of fruits and vegetables, whole grains and milk I think thats great and he probably doesn't need much more protein. I really wouldn't worry about it. That said, I'm not a nutritionist or anything but just from speaking to my own pediatrician and doing research, it seems that animal protein is not like the be all and end all of foods that kids Must must eat! I don't know why everyone else thinks so.

On a bit of a different note, I was always confused why some parents think that pizza and fries, hot dogs and white buns, lasagna, deli meat sandwiches, or macaroni and cheese is considered more of a healthy supper than whole grain cereal and milk, tuna and whole grain crackers, hard boiled eggs, ww pita and hummus, chickpeas from a can or ww bread and peanut butter.

I once saw a kid chomping on cucumbers at Shabbos meal and father trying to convince him to stop so he could have chicken and was like shoving it in his face. I'm like, leave him alone, let him eat cucumbers, he will be fine!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:59 am
I also think op’s child is completely fine.
If she doesn’t make a big deal about what he eats he will eventually try other food. If she talks about it and starts to make a big deal about what he eats/doesn’t eat, this will turn into a big problem (bigger than you can imagine).

I once met an interesting woman. She said that her daughter refused to eat the dinners that she prepared for her family. The only thing her daughter ate for dinner each night was a bowl of cornflakes and milk. The mother knew that making a big deal would get her nowhere. She never complained about her daughters eating habits at all. Each year when she took her daughter to her well visit she requested blood work to be done to make sure her daughter was healthy and not deficient in anything. One day when her daughter was around 13 years old she asked her mother if she can taste chicken! Mom was shocked but said she knew it would happen eventually. From that point on she started eating regular meals. At this point her daughter is married and cooking chicken for her family a few times a week and eats it too.

I hope you realize that if your son is healthy you should just let things be for now.
And the subject of your thread is not true... he does eat protein, you just didn’t realize it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics