Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you do with your leftover cholent?
1  2  Next

What do you do with your leftover Cholent?
Yuck. Chuk it the minute Shabbos is out!!!!  
 57%  [ 47 ]
Have it the next day!!!!  
 28%  [ 23 ]
Freeze it for next week!!!  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other, Please explain!!!!  
 14%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 82

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 2:45 pm
Dh is curious to know what people do with their leftover Cholent. We usually put it in the fridge and have it either Sunday or Monday night and we find it tastes that much better.

TightRopeWalker

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 2:52 pm
When it's just us I make sure there is no leftover cholent. I pretty much have it down to a science. When we have company it's a different story. I usually chuck it, but I have tried saving it too. My husband will eat a little, but it still usually ends up being thrown out. Thank Hashem for my 1 quart crock pot.

grin

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 2:53 pm
well, I can't throw it out -that's bal tashchis, besides being a total no-no for a daughter of a survivor of the shoa. and noone wants to be fleishiks necessrialy the next day. So I put it in the freezer and wait for rosh chodesh or yom segula (in Chabad there are a lot, of course) and serve it together with the leftover chicken that found its way there too.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 2:58 pm
Dh wouldn't touch it but my kids do eat it on Sunday.

grapesonavine

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 3:26 pm
Most of the time nobody will touch it after Shabbat, but I've tried this if there's a lot left over. I always have tortillas in the house, so if you make your cholent with beans (although it's not nessasary) you can wrap up a few burritos and put them in the freezer. Just microwave them for a minute and a half, and you have a quick lunch for the middle of the week.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 3:31 pm
great idea, sharonah!

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 3:50 pm
well I stopped making it - when I noticed it looks like dogfood ... What

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 4:39 pm
I takesome off.. like meat and barley. the rest goes to the garbage.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 4:46 pm
miriamnechama wrote:
I takesome off.. like meat and barley. the rest goes to the garbage.

If I have time, and there are leftovers.. I do the same thing..

Mostly my kids refuse to eat it when shabbos is over.. Well reallly only one of the three actually eats it anyway..lol

So it's really a waste of time.. Plus then there's the entire waiting after shabbos for dairy... oh well

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 5:00 pm
Sharona - great idea, I'm totally going to do it! I also know of people who make these pans of stuffed tortillas, I bet this would work great! Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 5:11 pm
I only make it a few times a year, but make sure to serve it ALL.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 6:04 pm
My husband "choked all the way through childhood on cholent", as he strongly dislikes it, so I do not make it to begin with...we decided that honouring our Ashkenazic roots could be done through other customs and having cholent would not be one of them...do you think this will affect our daughters' abilities to get husbands one day...? Puke

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 6:40 pm
So, He Sings, for chinuch, couldn't you make it, say, Pesach time and perhaps if you have a lot of guests ?

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 6:55 pm
I haven't made cholent for a long time, but we never eat the leftovers. Straight into the bin!

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 11:33 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
So, He Sings, for chinuch, couldn't you make it, say, Pesach time and perhaps if you have a lot of guests ?

Rolling Laughter

miriam

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 11:53 pm
Right now, my youngest loves cholent. She's happy to eat the leftovers but she is the ONLY one.

mimivan

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 3:05 am
I chuck, but feel bad about it, so I have decided to save at least the meat.
Anyway, I now have a better idea of how much to make, so very little is thrown out.

although I thought maybe, maybe would it be possible to take the meat and the beans, mix it with some rice and make stuffed peppers out of it? Sound good to anyone?

Side story, when I first was becoming frum I was in a home where I was to eat my very first plate of cholent. However, before the cholent was served, a the daughter who had a baby was sniffing around and said "Hmm..does the baby need to be changed or is that the cholent?"

The sister sniffed and said. "I think it's the cholent."

I was feeling
Puke
But believe it or not, I was able to eat the cholent and it was quite good after all...

greentiger

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 3:15 am
I try to make it small enough that none is left after shabbos. Although cholent is one of the rare things DH doesn't mind eating during the week, he doesn't usually so it ends up being thrown out.
In my mothers house the cholent stays in the fridge till the next Friday...

tm

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 3:44 am
dh eats it for melave malka. there's not usually more than one portion leftover anyway

catonmylap

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 6:15 am
I like eating leftover cholent. Dh hates it.

I try to make the right amount so there is none leftover.

Sometimes I freeze it.

Sometimes I just serve it as leftovers. That's what I did this week. Dh didn't complain this time. The leftovers of the leftovers I will throw out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen