Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Best PRACTICAL resources for bitachon
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:11 pm
I'm looking for a book or resource that would be helpful for bitachon -- specifically, letting go of control. However, I've found that a lot of the resources out there are way too "spiritual" or just outright heebie-jeebie.

I'm not going to be inspired by stories like "I relied on Hashem and then a check came in the mail for $4,000." I will be inspired by stories of people who made a conscious choice to trust in Hashem, and their inner lives became much calmer even if their circumstances didn't change or got worse. I want guidance on that.

Anyone here with really practical resources on bitachon?

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:23 am; edited 3 times in total

animeme

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:12 pm
Thank you! So well put! Me too.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:27 pm
David Ashear's daily chizuk? I find listening to him every day (or almost) really helps me, just tune-in on emunah and gives me a push to do something small even if only for that day...

relish

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:43 pm
Rabbi Nachman of breslov’s Sefer likutei moharan, writes an excellent piece on this concept in torah vav.

In that essay, he teaches the concept of learning the powerful tool of Aharon hakohen, when the torah says “vayidom Aharon”. Rabbi Nachman teaches what “yidom v’yishtok” is, and why it’s so important to be able to do so.

I believe that Aharon is a good example of someone who “made a conscious choice to trust in HaShem” and he lived a life of peace. So much so, that as he embodied peace of mind, he was able to spread it to everyone in Klal Yisroel.

I found this resource today, and was actually learning this very torah of Rabbi Nachman today. Access to shiurum is free, with a free account. https://www.breslovtorah.com/s.....an-1/

miami85

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 12:49 pm
I have found R' Baruch Shafier very inspiring on The Shmuz.

I will tell you that emunah challenges are VERY hard.

I personally went through a VERY hard time several years ago, things were collapsing in my life, I didn't understand it. Then one day I heard a story that changed my life. It was about the Bamboo plant. The Bamboo plant is a plant that you water every day for 5 years and nothing grows, but once it grows it shoots to the sky very quickly. At that point in my life, my current struggle was in its 5th year. After that point things started going in a much more positive trajectory. Things are not necessarily "better" all around, but I'm definitely seeing the Yad Hashem in every aspect of my life.

mig100

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:11 pm
Ok I can totally relate to every word.

I second the shmuz.com. it's VERY down to earth with every day life.

pesek zman

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:15 pm
garden of emunah is life changing

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 1:28 pm
I used JPThink Chaya Hinda Allen's program to completely turn my life around. Her stories are cute, but I did all the course HWand that was the meat of the work. My sense of calm and trust in Hashem has blossomed. People at work, friends and dh have told me they cant believe how different I am.

The program is based on Shaar Habitachon in Chovos Ulevovos.
Rabbanit Sara Yosef has 2 lectures on torah anytime, 1 in hebrew.
Rachel Assaf gives a similar course to JP think. A friend swears by her classes.

Living Emunah is recommended by Paysach Krohn.

Rabbi Shafier is excellent as well, who others have mentioned.

There are lots of ways you can get the same message.
Try a few and use what works for you.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 2:53 pm
Rabbi Stauber has an emunah boot camp program. You might find some of it on Torahanytime.com.

seeker

Post Fri, May 17 2019, 3:58 pm
I have found that no contemporary book or lecture or program has as deep an impact for me as going back to classical sources. Of course the contemporary books and lectures are very valuable in terms of accessibility. But if you're finding that they don't reach you, then try turning to some of the pesukim about emunah and read the classic commentaries on them. For example, I just did shema/ve'ahavta inside with Ohr Hachaim and some others - it's about loving Hashem, not emunah per se, but that's definitely an area where sometimes shiurim feel fluffy (I did it with a partner or I never would have been able to get a good understanding of it!) Or one of the classic mussar sefarim, Chovos Halevavos is one but again if it doesn't talk to you there are others.

I hadn't dug into original texts for a long time and now that I did find a partner and start to learn, I feel ridiculous for having missed it all along.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:41 pm
YY Jacobson has an amazing emunah series
https://www.theyeshiva.net/search//733/

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:43 pm
seeker wrote:
I have found that no contemporary book or lecture or program has as deep an impact for me as going back to classical sources. Of course the contemporary books and lectures are very valuable in terms of accessibility. But if you're finding that they don't reach you, then try turning to some of the pesukim about emunah and read the classic commentaries on them. For example, I just did shema/ve'ahavta inside with Ohr Hachaim and some others - it's about loving Hashem, not emunah per se, but that's definitely an area where sometimes shiurim feel fluffy (I did it with a partner or I never would have been able to get a good understanding of it!) Or one of the classic mussar sefarim, Chovos Halevavos is one but again if it doesn't talk to you there are others.

I hadn't dug into original texts for a long time and now that I did find a partner and start to learn, I feel ridiculous for having missed it all along.

The Chovos HaLevavos gets me really nervous... probably because the teacher I had in seminary was so "pie in the sky" that it made me want to throw up.

Which mussar seforim work best? I think I'm actually talking about bitachon more than emunah.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 11:54 pm
I bet we went to the same HS smileforamile LOL Sorry I don't have a suggestion but it was funny seeing that.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
David Ashear's daily chizuk? I find listening to him every day (or almost) really helps me, just tune-in on emunah and gives me a push to do something small even if only for that day...

I get a daily e-mail from David Ashear's daily chizuk. Whenever I need chizzuk, I go to the daily email and it really inspires me.

I have a question, though. Where can I reach Rabbi Ashear if I have a question on one of his chizzuk tapes?

ysyaer

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 8:58 am
seeker wrote:

Would you learn with me? I would love to learn in depth text, I don’t know how to though

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 2:28 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I get a daily e-mail from David Ashear's daily chizuk. Whenever I need chizzuk, I go to the daily email and it really inspires me.

I have a question, though. Where can I reach Rabbi Ashear if I have a question on one of his chizzuk tapes?

I have the same question. I listen to Rabbi Ashear's email lessons in Emunah almost daily, but if I have a question, I have no clue where to reach him!

sar1313

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:16 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

How do I sign up for this?

sar1313

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:59 am
sar1313 wrote:

Bump

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:07 pm
sar1313 wrote:

https://livingemunah.com/