Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Hands on OT
Previous  1  2

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:27 pm
bump- anyone with experience that can fill us in?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Dec 30 2018, 10:12 pm
bump

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Dec 31 2018, 1:39 pm
An OT here.
I treat retained reflexes. Parents are expected to follow a home treatment program. Believe me, even the most motivated ones find it a huge challenge to follow the program. Life is busy, kids, after a long day in school have no interest in doing home treatment. Yom Tov, simchas...
Before you start on this expensive treatment regime, ask yourself if it's actually practical. Can you commit to such a time consuming program? Because, if not, you'll be wasting lots of money, plus you'll feel guilty that you didn't do everything for your child.
Weekly sessions with a good OT sounds a more workable solution.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:25 pm
Speech therapist here

They are treating a child that I am working with. The changes are extraordinary. Slow but steady and honestly I know the parents tried other things and ots before. They may be expensive, but I really don't think so, as they dish out to me $200 a week for two sessions. You see them only once every 6 weeks. Not sure why everyone says that's so expensive. Comes out to about $50 a week. Anyway that's my take.

They are giving a course on Sunday. A lot of parents are joining. Why don't you attend and 'feel' them out?

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
Speech therapist here

They are treating a child that I am working with. The changes are extraordinary. Slow but steady and honestly I know the parents tried other things and ots before. They may be expensive, but I really don't think so, as they dish out to me $200 a week for two sessions. You see them only once every 6 weeks. Not sure why everyone says that's so expensive. Comes out to about $50 a week. Anyway that's my take.

They are giving a course on Sunday. A lot of parents are joining. Why don't you attend and 'feel' them out?

I think it's the initial assessment that they do pre-treatment that is very expensive. And they don't take any insurance or board of Ed reimbursement.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 1:02 pm
seeker wrote:
I think it's the initial assessment that they do pre-treatment that is very expensive. And they don't take any insurance or board of Ed reimbursement.

How much is it, and what does it entail?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 3:02 pm
seeker wrote:

It's expensive and doesn't include a written report. I always ask to see any reports from other therapists before I see a child. Helps to see what's been done before and where they're holding. Many parents dip in and out of therapy and having a written report of what the child has done can give you a clearer picture of the way ahead.
It sounds more Hands off than Hands On! They do an evaluation, get paid well , and then get the parents to carry out the actual treatment!

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:26 pm
Honeydew amother, that's the kind of question best asked by calling their office.

I think they did offer a written report for several $100 more.

The nature of these exercises is that they have to be done at home because they need to be repeated daily or several times a day. That's what you need in order to get results. It's not "hands off," it's a different type of therapy. They teach you what to do and monitor progress. I haven't used them personally but I have seen similar setups with other programs and it's totally legit.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:21 pm
I went to them years ago . They did tell me before the evaluation that it’s a commitment ... I thought I would be able to do it. Paid large amount for the evaluation. Went for one session. It was far to get to them and did take a lot of commitment. I wish I was able to do it, but it was too much for me and I just didn’t continue . I wish I was able to but it was really too hard juggling work, my other kids and then this. Hatzlacha in what you decide

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 10:43 am
thank you- anyone else have any experience? WHy cant I find one person who competed their program from beginning to end?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:49 pm
bump?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 7:08 am
bump???

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 7:26 am
Someone had mentioned their courses- I attended one and found it fascinating. When I called for my son they were very informative but since I hadnt done anything with him yet they advised me to try OT through the board of ed first (which he was eligible for) and see where that got me. My OT did wonders for my son so I never did go to them. My friend went to the guttman sisters and also saw tremendous results. Its a lot of time at home but I think that any OT program that you want to see results in will only work if you put in the effort at home. They are a lot of money but again- any private program is a lot! I ended up hiring a private OT to my house and spent a lot of money as well.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 7:23 pm
How can I sign up for their courses? Are they on Instagram?

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 7:40 pm
They have website

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 26 2019, 8:34 pm
They promote their courses on Facebook. They look interesting and I wish I had the time and money to participate!

aricelli

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 12:14 am
seeker wrote:
They promote their courses on Facebook. They look interesting and I wish I had the time and money to participate!

Its very interesting! I took their one day course called “making sense of sensory” and really enjoyed it. They were very helpful with answering questions. It was geared to therapists but they were ok with parents joining as well.

pompom2019

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:56 am
Bump
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children