Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Baltimore - TI or TA
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:19 am
Can someone outline the difference between TI and TA?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:37 am
Let me start by saying that we are a TA family, for the sake of fairness.

Hashkafically, TA has more of a mix of families, whereas TI is more "yeshivish" (I HATE using labels and I know it means different things to different people, so I hope no one bites my head off). That difference has become more pronounced in the past 10-15 years than it used to be. I wish that was not the case as our family is more right wing than most other families, other than the kids of the Rebbeim. I wish that was not the case, but we had such a positive experience with my older boys that I did not want to switch my youngest son. don't know that I would have started at TA now if my kids were young as I personally have much more in common with current TI families.

The Rebbeim in TA are incredible - warm, caring and great role models for the boys. I can not emphasize this enough.

TA has a high school, so there is the option of staying there through 12 grade. TI only goes until 8th grade.

Both preschools have great reputations.

Secular subjects are taken more seriously in TA. Once you get to middle school, the TI boys generally look down at Limudai Chol.

What else do you want to know?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:31 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Let me start by saying that we are a TA family, for the sake of fairness.

Hashkafically, TA has more of a mix of families, whereas TI is more "yeshivish" (I HATE using labels and I know it means different things to different people, so I hope no one bites my head off). That difference has become more pronounced in the past 10-15 years than it used to be. I wish that was not the case as our family is more right wing than most other families, other than the kids of the Rebbeim. I wish that was not the case, but we had such a positive experience with my older boys that I did not want to switch my youngest son. don't know that I would have started at TA now if my kids were young as I personally have much more in common with current TI families.

The Rebbeim in TA are incredible - warm, caring and great role models for the boys. I can not emphasize this enough.

TA has a high school, so there is the option of staying there through 12 grade. TI only goes until 8th grade.

Both preschools have great reputations.

Secular subjects are taken more seriously in TA. Once you get to middle school, the TI boys generally look down at Limudai Chol.

What else do you want to know?

OMG I could have written your post word for word! Thats where we are holding too! There must be a lot more like us of the older families in the school.

We have had boys in TA for well over a decade. The elementary school environment is warm and happy! We love the Rabbeim!

Will try to think of more to write soon... im waiting outside TA now, at carpool time Smile

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:34 pm
‘Yeshivish’ in Baltimore means something different then in the tri state area. It’s a more open inclusive yeshivish.

TI also has a longer school year.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:40 pm
Duplicate

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:48 pm
Amother Pewter - Thanks so much for your post. I have been a TA parent for over 15 years consecutively, so we may know each other in real life Smile. Sometimes I look at the current young parent body and feel so out of place (and old!). It really made me smile to know I am not the only one. I do have a tremendous hakaras hatov to TA for how my older boys turned out, BH, and I don't think the hashkafa of the school has changed, but rather the families that choose to send to TA vs. TI.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:13 pm
I’ll preface my post by saying that many people are very happy with both schools. And TI is a fine school for somebody who likes that particular atmosphere and environment that they offer. Both schools have beautiful campuses with plenty of room for the boys to run and play.

I have two boys in TA. When we moved to Baltimore, I sent my first son to TI and before the year was up we quickly knew that it was not for us. Mainly because of the way that the older kids were bullying my son and the school did nothing to stop it unfortunately. This is now our fourth year in TA and we are very happy there.

I’ll tell you what somebody told me when I asked what the difference is between the two schools. At both schools, all the boys watch shows either on TV or computer. It’s just that in TI, they know not to tell anyone. One thing that I find to be very disappointing about TI, as somebody had mentioned upthread, is the complete and total lack of respect for secular studies as the boys get older. They year that we sent our son to TI, my husband was actually a secular studies teacher in the middle school and it was very hard for him there. The kids didn’t care and the administration seem to feel they had nothing that they could do about it. I’m sure I’ll give myself away with the next part I’m about to say - The lack of respect for general studies seems to follow a lot of these boys into high school. My husband has been teaching secular studies in one of the local high schools for the past number of years and there is a tremendous lack of respect that they have for any of their secular teachers. Yes, I know that this is a problem in many many yeshivas and I know that it is not unique at all to TI. It’s just not what I wanted my son to pick up. And it does not seem to be a problem and TA’s high school.

The rabbeim at TA are warm and very dedicated and I assume that to be the case at TI as well. I can tell you that at TA, the school and administration works very well with children who are outside the box and who need a little bit more.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:46 pm
It's funny for me to read the responses, as my opinion is so different.

As someone that grew up in Baltimore, TI used to be way more homogenous and yeshivish than it is now. In fact sometimes when people tell me they send to TI, I'm actually quite surprised. That said, TA is more of a mix. You will have mothers that don't cover their hair, but being Baltimore, they are right alongside the kollel wife in carpool line. I am only talking about preschool-8th.

I move back to Baltimore a few years ago. I chose to send my boys to TA as it the most similar to the school they were used to. I don't regret my decision. I am so happy in TA. The rabbeim are so warm. Especially in the younger grades they infuse a love of learning. I get nachas calls and post cards from the rabbeim and elementary principal. I've had calls not only about academics but about my boys ruchnius. They really stress midos and work on them with different programs in the school

My older boys left TA after 8th and are in a mainstream yeshiva. They are not behind in koshesh and ahead in chol.

TI has longer school days earlier, longer kodesh during the day, and a longer school year. They don't do any chol (not even ABCs) until 1st grade. It is very competitive.

Both schools are good schools.

If you are just starting out in boys education, I'm also hearing wonderful things about Toras Simcha.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:34 pm
I recall reading about abuse cover up in TI.
You might want to investigate.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:42 pm
Thank you everyone

lilis86

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:04 pm
If you have younger boys- grades 4 or below, I strongly recommend Toras Simcha! Very warm and caring school. Hashkafically, I feel like it falls somewhere between TA and TI but closer to TI. But they very much emphasize derech Eretz and lack of respect to chol teachers isn’t tolerated. Sent to TA for a year and switched because it was way too big and can easily get lost in the crowd. Especially if you have an easy kid who doesn’t need special attention- he won’t get it! We’ve been much happier in Toras Simcha and have only positive things to say about it. Hatzlacha!!

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:06 pm
The level of media exposure in TA versus TI is not really comparable. TI students have significantly less exposure to technology and media. Some parents do not have smart phones and if they do, may not have Whatsapp on their phones. There are no birthday parties at the movies. I have heard from a couple of TI parents that when they transferred to Ner Yisroel for high school, there was actually a “culture shock” in terms of exposure to things they were just not prevalent at TI. It is much much more homogenous than not even today, in terms of “type,” when you compare it to TA. We send to TI and are very happy bH, though our sons are just finishing preschool. We do have several close family and friends attending both schools. We also daven in a shul that has a mix of both TI and TA families, which led us to our decision to choose TI based on observation of the boys as they get older.

I should mention that had we felt that our boys would struggle academically with the high level kodesh at TI, we would have made a different choice. TI’s kodesh is quite high level, and while they have a resource room, TA may be a better fit for a child who requires lots of support.

To speak to the comment about disrespect toward chol teachers, it is important to keep in mind that the school has a phenomenal new principal who is making tremendous effort to address past issues. From various interactions with other parents and discussion with the principal, my impression is that disrespect is not tolerated and is being addressed in an efficacious fashion. Relevant members of the previous administration have retired, which is enabling this change. In the past year I would estimate there have been several new hirees to the school who have/are/will be taking on roles in the education/curriculum/counseling departments of the school.

The general studies department is run by a lovely non-Jewish woman with a doctorate.

While TI is not a NY yeshivish school, it does run as an authentic cheder, which is in stark contrast to the community school model that is TA.

Overall, they are both very good schools....but they are indeed quite different. Both schools have cons—the question is which cons would you personally rather deal with as your children go through their elementary school and middle school years

I hope this was helpful.

Edited for accuracy.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:15 pm
I am a TA parent. Myself and I know of others do not have WhatsApp. I've never heard of bithday parties at the movies and if it exists, my kids were never invited to any. Most parties are held in the kids' houses.

The same way people wrongly stereotype TA people wrongly stereotype TI.

Unless you've sent kids to both, you really won't have a good picture of the other school. To the OP, I suggest you ask around what specifics people like or dislike in the school they send their own kids and then compare the answers yourself and see which is a better fit for your child. Better yet, find someone who has sent to both! Yes, people have switched for various reasons.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:20 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I am a TA parent. Myself and I know of others do not have WhatsApp. I've never heard of bithday parties at the movies and if it exists, my kids were never invited to any. Most parties are held in the kids' houses.

The same way people wrongly stereotype TA people wrongly stereotype TI.

Unless you've sent kids to both, you really won't have a good picture of the other school. To the OP, I suggest you ask around what specifics people like or dislike in the school they send their own kids and then compare the answers yourself and see which is a better fit for your child. Better yet, find someone who has sent to both! Yes, people have switched for various reasons.

Well yes, that's why I'm asking here.
I consider ourselves yeshivish and assumed I'd send my sons to TI but then I read the handbook.... and I'm scared it is too right for me.
No public library was my biggest shock. My kids read and even watch specific videos as a treat as well. Will they fit in? My little guy is going to talk about videos he has seen.
Also, do TI kids hate the 11 mo school year? Aren't they jealous of sisters and friends? Is there talmud/rebbie relationships in TI? Or only TA.....

flower2

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:28 pm
I have 2 boys in TI and we are really happy. One in elementary and one in preschool. It doesn't matter that they only start abcs in 1st grade- kids pick it up and are reading fluently by the end of the year. I know several parents at TI that let their kids watch videos/play on phone to various degrees (we limit it to grandparents). The boys enjoy the extra few weeks in the summer, they learn in the morning then have camp in the afternoon. The area I live in has more TA then TI families but there is a mix and everyone I know is happy with whichever school they picked. Also, all the kids play together outside on shabbos. I'm not sure how this will change as the kids get older...

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well yes, that's why I'm asking here.
I consider ourselves yeshivish and assumed I'd send my sons to TI but then I read the handbook.... and I'm scared it is too right for me.
No public library was my biggest shock. My kids read and even watch specific videos as a treat as well. Will they fit in? My little guy is going to talk about videos he has seen.
Also, do TI kids hate the 11 mo school year? Aren't they jealous of sisters and friends? Is there talmud/rebbie relationships in TI? Or only TA.....

What does it say about no public library?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:44 pm
As I said upthread, my kids have been in TA for well over a decade. We have never been invited to or heard of birhtday parties at the movies! Any party my sons have been to over the years, have been at home, or at a playground, or (one very exciting one) at bas melech.
Just saying.
but yes, I beleive that there is a big technology problem in general in the greater Baltimore community, but I would not know in which school it is a greater problem...
I have a friend whose kids are in TA , she has no internet access at all. and no she's not a rebbi's wife, her husband is a professional. so it does exist in both schools.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:34 pm
I looked into both for my son.
The reasons I sent to TA were:
1) the class size at TI was 25-30 and many boys got lost in such big classes where TA was 18-20.

2) in TI they don't teach English until the end of first grade and I think it's important to know ABC's before then

3) there are no resources to help with English in TI and when I asked what happens to kids who struggle since there are only two hours of English in the day, they told me that their resource room helps a lot more with hebrew reading and Jewish studies

4) My kid I know has difficulty focusing/learning. I like that TA has technology and a lot of creative latest curriculums in secular studies. I observed several different classes during teaching in both schools. In TI the rebbe was chanting in a sing-song voice and some boys were spacing out and looking out the window. When I asked the school about that, they said there are always kids like that and weren't bothered. In TA, there are a lot more one-on-one assistants, extra help etc

If your kids are smart and you value torah over secular, you should be fine in TI. It depends on your kids and your values. For me personally, I would like my kids to be able to write high School level English and read and know math because I cannot support them in kollel for their entire life.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 3:59 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
What does it say about no public library?

It says you cannot bring your kids to a public library

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 4:29 am
Going to the public library is completely acceptable for every single Baltimore school. (Except maybe the new chassidish cheder.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics