Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you have/had an Etsy shop, please answer

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:54 pm
Im seriously considering selling something I make as a side hobby on etsy. Not as a full time business at all, but more like a relaxed side thing.
I have done a lot of research on it, but the one topic im still unsure about is what to do over Shabbos and yomtov.

I know you can put your shop on vacation mode, but some people say it's not good for sales and not to do that too often?

what about every Shabbos? if your shop is in regular mode, do customers expect you to see the order right away? Do they take into account that it's the weekend? how quickly do you need to see that an order has been placed?

What about if yomtov is on a weekday, like purim being on a random wednesday, or like shavuous this year is on monday? is it crazy for me to see the order a full day late? do you put your shop on vacation mode for small things like that?

thank you so much in advance!

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:59 pm
I had a store on Ebay for many years. A regular shabbos I just left things as is. Nothing can be mailed out Sunday so I never had anyone complain that I wasn't quick enough. And max I didn't respond to an email would be 26 hours.
Anything more than that I'd put my store in vacation mode. So in the case of Shavuos this year, I would. If someone tries to get in touch with you Friday night you won't get back to them until Monday night - I think that's too long.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:37 pm
Thank you for your reply. So it looks like shabbos itself isnt so much of a problem, just all the other times...
I wonder how the vacation mode on etsy compares to ebay.
Anyone else here sell on etsy?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:59 pm
You don't need to close your store. Just write in your header that "There is a holiday coming up, and orders placed between A and B dates will be slightly delayed. Thank you for understanding."

I sold there for many years, and never had a problem with it.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:23 pm
Like FranticFrummie said...
I don't know how it is with Etsy but on Ebay you have a choice in vacation mode of still taking orders just letting people now they'll be delayed, or not accepting orders at all. For a 2/3 day Tom tov I'd use the first setting. If I was going away for pesach for 2 weeks I'd just stop accepting orders, otherwise I found that even when I gave a warning people didn't read carefully and they'd get upset that the order was taking so long)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:17 pm
On Etsy you can set how many days it will take until the specific item is shipped. I always set mine for 3-5 days. That all year round setting covers for yom tov. All other times my item is ready to ship faster than the stated 3-5 days (rather in 1 day).

I think there is also a setting to automatically reply to emails. If you receive an email during Yom tov, the automated message can say to expect a delay in communication.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics