Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Ear piercing

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:30 am
I'm so confused. My 4 year old has been clamoring for ear piercing and I got my ears pierced at 4 so I'm not opposed to it. However I'm getting dissenting information on if going to a place like piericing pagoda is ok. I know I went there when I was 4 and everything was fine. I've heard to do it in piercing parlors, but I'm supposed to go with my sister and her daughter at the same time and I know that they won't feel comfortable with going to such a place and I'm not sure how I feel about it either. Also, I'm seeing dissenting information about whether or not to rotate the earrings after the piercing, based on the American Academy of Dermatology vs. The American Academy of Piercers. Whom do I trust ?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:33 am
Ask your pediatrician if they do ear piercing. That's where I had my own ears pierced and that's what I did for my baby.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:34 am
I'm new in town and I don't have that relationship with my kids pediatrician yet.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:36 am
I don't know much about the first part of your question, but regarding turning the earrings, it depends on the type of earrings you get. I've always been told to rub with alcohol twice a day and turn for the first month, but you should ask them if it's necessary.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:39 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I don't know much about the first part of your question, but regarding turning the earrings, it depends on the type of earrings you get. I've always been told to rub with alcohol twice a day and turn for the first month, but you should ask them if it's necessary.

My pediatrician said that this process is no longer done. When I bathed my daughter I had to make sure that the ears got wet and cleaned with the bath water and then dried well. She said not to touch the earrings because there are germs on our hands and they have found that the turning and touching is what causes the infection and no alcohol either. Just plain soapy water from the bath and the ears got wet while I washed her hair.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:41 am
thunderstorm wrote:
My pediatrician said that this process is no longer done. When I bathed my daughter I had to make sure that the ears got wet and cleaned with the bath water and then dried well. She said not to touch the earrings because there are germs on our hands and they have found that the turning and touching is what causes the infection and no alcohol either. Just plain soapy water from the bath and the ears got wet while I washed her hair.

So that's the thing, it still says that it is done on the American Academy of Dermatology, and many ear piercing websites, why would they say something outdated?

nchr

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So that's the thing, it still says that it is done on the American Academy of Dermatology, and many ear piercing websites, why would they say something outdated?

They are supposed to be sprayed with salt water just to remove excess gunk. No soapy water from a bath.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:54 pm
I would go to tattoo parlor. They are licenced with state boards of health and have to meet those stringent regulations and inspections. Vs. the random shmoe who took a course or 2 in the mall.
Also, the piercing method at the tattoo place is needle, vs. gun. The gun itself is reused hundreds of times and cannot be properly cleaned. Studies show hepatitis residue on the piercing gun. The needle method is more gentle on the ear and doesn't use blunt force to shove the earring in, as the gun method used in the mall does.

nchr

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 6:21 pm
Second the piercing or tattoo parlor.

imabima

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 6:24 pm
Heads up.. I called around to a bunch of tattoo/piercing places and none would pierce my daughter's ears. Ended up at Piercing Pogoda and it was fine.

srbmom

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 6:55 pm
My dr told me Claire's is the best place for ear piercing. They pierce hundreds of ears a year (much more than the dr does) and are experts at it.

nchr

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 7:29 pm
srbmom wrote:
My dr told me Claire's is the best place for ear piercing. They pierce hundreds of ears a year (much more than the dr does) and are experts at it.

Claire's uses a gun. A needle is the way to go. Guns are a horrible way to pierce anything.

Tattoo parlors pierce kids as long as the child is old enough to give consent, although a few do babies. They are pros.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 9:36 pm
imabima wrote:
Heads up.. I called around to a bunch of tattoo/piercing places and none would pierce my daughter's ears. Ended up at Piercing Pogoda and it was fine.

Well, we were told we had to bring my ID and the kid's ID. Which we did. As they are subject to strict regulations and sanitary environment and equipment, each state may have different rules. Possibly where you live they didn't allow.

And to the poster whose doctor recommended Claire's - your comment didn't address any of my points other than "my doctor said so." That's nice, but your doctor is one man's opinion - it is not the final word on this topic or any other.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics