Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Article in the Ami (Abt: sealed windows)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:30 pm
imasoftov wrote:
OK, don't count, give me an order of magnitude. Single digits, tens, hundreds, thousands?

I don't work for gallup. I am one private person, that within my neighborhood and town have heard of tens. However, since I don't hang around in multiple circles, just my own, I just know facts from my specific acquaintances. Being that I live in Monsey, which is known to have been farmland and specifically orchards of apples, there are more chances of these things happening as it becomes more and more populated and people build more and more.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:32 pm
marina wrote:
Same way that you know there is no flying spaghetti monster. Even if your friends all attribute their pasta troubles to him.

There’s no scientific evidence suggesting the existence of demons.

They're here!

urban gypsy

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:33 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I don't work for gallup. I am one private person, that within my neighborhood and town have heard of tens. However, since I don't hang around in multiple circles, just my own, I just know facts from my specific acquaintances. Being that I live in Monsey, which is known to have been farmland and specifically orchards of apples, there are more chances of these things happening as it becomes more and more populated and people build more and more.

Fascinating!!!! So is the entire town of Monsey known to have more miscarriages than the national average??? Is there any way this information can be looked up?

marina

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:33 pm
DrMom wrote:
They're here!

you’re right. What was I thinking?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:34 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Shishkabob I bet you are totally correct! In the olden days fireplaces WERE ovens. They were built into the foundations of the house which is a lot more permanent. Nowadays electrical ovens just plug into the wall so I bet it's okay to move those around! But probably more of a bad idea to move an oven gas line because that's built into the house.

I mentioned this in my previous post. By ovens they meant the brick fireplaces since that was a considered an opening. I don’t think it has anything to do with gas/electrical lines and today’s modern ovens.
It’s all about closing up openings hence the door/window/brick fireplace.

marina

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:36 pm
Can you just explain whether sheidim are subject to the laws of physics? Why do they need a little hole and can’t just walk through walls and crevices?

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:38 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Fascinating!!!! So is the entire town of Monsey known to have more miscarriages than the national average??? Is there any way this information can be looked up?

I don't know of national averages, however that would make sense, since ppl here get pregnant more often, their chances of miscarriages go up as well. Just because of the ratio factor.
However, the people here are definitely more cognizant of the fact that before they purchase a home, or buy a property to build, they will for sure inquire about the probability of prior fruit trees growing on that property or if fruit trees were cut down previously.

Actually, in Monsey, there was a house (multiple houses) that was thrown down and all that was left of it was the brick fireplace. The builders built the new house around the fireplace. It was a big hassle I'm sure, but one that is well worth it.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I mentioned this in my previous post. By ovens they meant the brick fireplaces since that was a considered an opening. I don’t think it has anything to do with gas/electrical lines and today’s modern ovens.
It’s all about closing up openings hence the door/window/brick fireplace.

I see your point, but the sefer quoted in the article references different halachos for baking vs. cooking so I think there is a concept of the fixed place you use to prepare your food being the place where the demons live, not just an open fireplace. They like it there because it's warm and cozy, it's the "hearth/heart" of the home, and they get snacks. IDK I'm not an expert, if I ever see one when I go to get a midnight snack I will come back and post. I'm in an apartment, I wonder if that means I'm safe??? How many floors up are demons willing to live???

urban gypsy

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:42 pm
marina wrote:
Can you just explain whether sheidim are subject to the laws of physics? Why do they need a little hole and can’t just walk through walls and crevices?

This is literal apikorsus Marina and I won't stand for it. Your knowledge of paranormal phenomena derive from Hollywood media which is not kosher or accurate.
Sheidim are REAL, therefore they are subject to all laws of physics OR ELSE THEY WOULD NOT BE REAL. I can't believe I need to spell this out SMH Can't Believe It

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:45 pm
marina wrote:

I'm not an expert at all. However, I'm sure that there are rules for this as well. Obviously, Shlomo Hamelech knew the limitations of them, like that he was able to capture the king of demons using this knowledge.
Don't be so quick to pass information off as 'babbeh meises' just because you don't know about it yet.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:49 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
This is literal apikorsus Marina and I won't stand for it. Your knowledge of paranormal phenomena derive from Hollywood media which is not kosher or accurate.
Sheidim are REAL, therefore they are subject to all laws of physics OR ELSE THEY WOULD NOT BE REAL. I can't believe I need to spell this out SMH Can't Believe It

Don't you ever watch Supernatural? Sam and Dean Winchester know that demons are real, and they are a reliable source. Wink

urban gypsy

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:54 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Don't you ever watch Supernatural? Sam and Dean Winchester know that demons are real, and they are a reliable source. Wink

TBH I think Marina is confusing ghosts and demons. Ridiculous!

DrMom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:59 pm
marina wrote:

Maybe they are less like particles and more like waves which diffract through little holes.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:02 pm
When Israel was under direct threat of poison gas attacks, the mamads were designed to have doors and windows that sealed air tight. I just happen to keep my mamad door and window open a bit, because that is how the cat gets in and out of the mirpesset.

I wish I could report a big improvement in my health and parnossa, but everything has stayed the same.

I don't recall ever seeing a house or apartment in Israel that had holes in doors or windows, although I'll be more on the lookout now.

I do know that pest control companies tell you to seal up all gaps and holes with caulk to prevent cockroaches and mice. Some parts of Israel have a problem with poisonous snakes and scorpions, too. They love to come into the house when it's too hot outside.

So which would you rather have? What

marina

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:08 pm
Maybe this is all just a spelling-related misunderstanding. Perhaps you are all talking about shades. In fact, I am a big fan of shades which are all over my home and which I certainly take into consideration in planning the layout of my windows and doors. I have lots of different shades in my home, and each one is important and special. I also sometimes do drill holes and install special equipment for my shades, which is important for proper shade functioning.

So glad we cleared this up ladies.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:09 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I see your point, but the sefer quoted in the article references different halachos for baking vs. cooking so I think there is a concept of the fixed place you use to prepare your food being the place where the demons live, not just an open fireplace. They like it there because it's warm and cozy, it's the "hearth/heart" of the home, and they get snacks. IDK I'm not an expert, if I ever see one when I go to get a midnight snack I will come back and post. I'm in an apartment, I wonder if that means I'm safe??? How many floors up are demons willing to live???

Lol. Just throw them the snack and hopefully they will be satisfied.
Look, I'm not an expert either and just quoting what I was told by my husband and his rabbi since we did close off an door when we moved. Its in my laundry room and if I can tell you how many times my brand new, top of the line wash machine and dryer have malfunctioned since I bought it, well, definitely beyond the norm.
So Basically what I was told it is definitely doesn't concern modern stovetop and lines as Its not considered an opening. Brick fireplaces thats built into the house, brick ovens (think matzah bakery) and chimney, windows and doors. It originates back to the tzavuah of Yehuda H’chassid (as mentioned previously) so that the שדים and מזיקים that reside in the house and are accustomed to entering/exiting that specific room can become restless or angry, so to speak, when its blocked off. I know that in my circles when a new house or apt is built, before you move in a special tefila is said because of this issue.
Again, not an expert here but this is something I've heard before the ami article....

urban gypsy

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:21 pm
Look, I'm not an expert either and just quoting what I was told by my husband and his rabbi since we did close off an door when we moved. Its in my laundry room and if I can tell you how many times my brand new, top of the line wash machine and dryer have malfunctioned since I bought it, well, definitely beyond the norm.

All these potentially paranormal experiences you are all posting are giving me LIFE.
Please keep sharing people!

urban gypsy

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:22 pm
Lol. Just throw them the snack and hopefully they will be satisfied.

Do I really want to find out what house demons like to snack on?
I'm not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole! TMI

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:28 pm
When we did our first renovation we wanted to close up a doorway in the kitchen to allow more cabinets. We put a window between the upper and lower cabinets, which turned out to to be quite handy.

Later we did more extensive building, and ended up closing several doors and windows. My contractor put a small pipe - I want to say about 1/4" - in each location. It's painted over & also can be covered with a picture in most cases. Better safe than sorry.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:39 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Do you mean if I throw out the old oven and put in a new one, it's okay? Is it ok to move the old oven to a new location when remodeling a kitchen?

Also is it okay to move the old cooktop to a new area in the kitchen when remodeling?

I worked with a professional designer. I can't understand why she didn't bring this up.

Replacing an oven with a new one in the same location shouldn't be a problem by anyone's interpretation. Moving the oven... I believe the "oven" refers to the massive brick built-in ovens you used to see in Europe that heated the whole house, and not the wall ovens and ranges people have nowadays. Those old ovens had chimneys, so maybe the closing a door or window would have applied here too. You can ask your LOR on that one.

I have been asked about window and door openings by clients, and also about having beds face north/south (a gemara), and about not having a bed directly face a door — which my son says is a bubbemaiseh but see http://dinonline.org/2014/11/1.....r/[I]
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics