Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Two questions I have from the “sealed window” thread

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:26 am
1. Let’s say you believe this, about not closing off a window or door. So what do you do if you are renovating, and knocking down a wall that has windows or doors?
2. Someone mentioned that food stores under a bed becomes tamei, because food stores under a person is tamei. So what about on an airplane? Does that mean that food that you put under the seat in front of you is tamei?

climbing613

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:28 am
I don't know the first one, but for airplane, I try to put it in front of me but not under. It's tamei from being under a sleeping person. If I'm not sleeping, I'll put it under my own seat.

Adela

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:32 am
1. You drill a hole. So theres still an opening there.
2. AFAIK yes.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:45 am
Some places more strict & a drilled hole is not enough. They do 12 inch by 12 inch opening.
I put some nice artwork over my hole

amother
Purple

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:56 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
1. Let’s say you believe this, about not closing off a window or door. So what do you do if you are renovating, and knocking down a wall that has windows or doors?
2. Someone mentioned that food stores under a bed becomes tamei, because food stores under a person is tamei. So what about on an airplane? Does that mean that food that you put under the seat in front of you is tamei?

Is a seat a bed?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 12:32 pm
Adela wrote:
1. You drill a hole. So theres still an opening there.
2. AFAIK yes.

Where would you drill a hole? A wall is being removed.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 12:33 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Is a seat a bed?

Apparently food becomes tamei when under a sleeping person. So theoretically, food would become tamei if stored under the seat of a sleeping person.

Sleek

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:29 pm
Under a seat of a sleeping person is fine.

librarygirl

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:35 pm
I think if the food is double wrapped it's fine.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:39 pm
OP, according to my posek, this applies to any opening that goes from indoor to outdoor - door, window, aircondition slot, exhaust fans, and certain pipes that go from indoor to outdoor. Removing an indoor wall is not a problem. And we were told to drill a hole. Its best to ask since there are different shitos. You should certainly ask and take care of it as you do not want to mess with these kind of things.
Our posek told us - don't hold back from drilling a hole, if you do, you'll regret it when someone gets hurt...
Good luck

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:45 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

We moved into a place that had a door closed up. Dh had someone drill a long thin hole through the wall. You can’t even see it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:01 pm
Interior doors are not a problem.

We closed off a window in our home recently and left a tiny opening.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:05 pm
Please explain.this whole thread. I missed e other thread and have no idea problem. That you are talking about

Emotional

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:10 pm
Well how far does this go?
My daughter's bedroom is directly above my kitchen. Does the food in my kitchen become טמא because my daughter is sleeping above it?

mfb

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:14 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

If it’s being removed then the whole wall is now a hole and not a problem.
It’s only a problem to build a full wall where there was a window or a door earlier.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:29 pm
Emotional wrote:
Well how far does this go?
My daughter's bedroom is directly above my kitchen. Does the food in my kitchen become טמא because my daughter is sleeping above it?

No. It's a separate room.

elisheva25

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 2:35 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
OP, according to my posek, this applies to any opening that goes from indoor to outdoor - door, window, aircondition slot, exhaust fans, and certain pipes that go from indoor to outdoor. Removing an indoor wall is not a problem. And we were told to drill a hole. Its best to ask since there are different shitos. You should certainly ask and take care of it as you do not want to mess with these kind of things.
Our posek told us - don't hold back from drilling a hole, if you do, you'll regret it when someone gets hurt...
Good luck

Wow I don’t know what to say. I am the op of that other thread and that’s a whole lot of checking. How would I ever know if my house was fine ???

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 3:31 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
Wow I don’t know what to say. I am the op of that other thread and that’s a whole lot of checking. How would I ever know if my house was fine ???

I asked my rav this exact question and he said if you know or could find out then take care of it. If not than you can't and don't worry. "oib m'veist nisht, veist men nisht"

elisheva25

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 3:39 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I asked my rav this exact question and he said if you know or could find out then take care of it. If not than you can't and don't worry. "oib m'veist nisht, veist men nisht"

Thank you ! This answer makes me feel a little better .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics