Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
One day in Philadelphia, best budget attractions for kids?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:01 pm
I see that there are a lot of museums in Philadelphia but it's hard to figure out how to plan a day when I've never been there before.

It will be a Sunday so I can only pick places that are open on Sundays.

Since I only have one day I would rather not break the bank. So Please Touch Museum, Franklin Institute, and the zoo all seem pricier. I'm just not sure from the other museums how child-friendly anything is. I see around the Liberty Bell area there are a lot of museums including American Jewish History. Not sure if they are too historic or if they have any kid appeal.

My kids are between 5-10 years old. They are tame appreciate educational things but of course to an age-appropriate point.

And is there anything that's more "fun" and less educational to mix things up a little, but not expensive?

Also is there kosher pizza or the like?

Thanks for your help.

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:40 pm
If you don’t want to spend, And museums are out, Liberty Bell is free. But if that’s too cerebral, consider this: http://smithplayground.org/

cbsp

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:45 pm
We went to Philly on Chol Hamoed Succos. Kids age 4, 6, 9.

Found street parking.

Went to the Philadelphia Fireman's Hall museum (closed Sundays) and then Betsy Ross' house (open Sunday). It was very interesting plus there's a Betsy Ross impersonator who gives the biography and even answers questions (she's a history student first rather than a mere actress).
If you take a walk in that area there's a street where the houses haven't changed since the 1700's (cobblestones and all) plus the building where the declaration of independence was signed. There's also the liberty bell not too far away.

My brother used to visit the mint. Don't know about Sunday hours.

Many years ago we did a duck boat tour. I know there was a traffic accident a few years back so it may not currently be operational. If it is it's a great way to see the city.

I remember going to a Ben Franklin exhibit that was also fascinating. (maybe it was his house?)

Enjoy!

Last edited by cbsp on Wed, May 22 2019, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:49 pm
pesek zman wrote:
If you don’t want to spend, And museums are out, Liberty Bell is free. But if that’s too cerebral, consider this: http://smithplayground.org/

Museums are not out, I just want to know which ones are worth seeing.

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Museums are not out, I just want to know which ones are worth seeing.

I meant out because of cost. Please Touch and Franklin are both pricey. I think the Jewish museum is excellent but not for your age kids.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:54 pm
10 is a little old for the please touch museum. I would recommend the Franklin Institute. Look at their website to see if their current exhibits would interest your kids.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:34 pm
Camden aquarium is just over the bridge.

cbsp

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:36 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Camden aquarium is just over the bridge.

I thought about suggesting it (and the walk on the promenade near /under the Franklin Bridge is breathtaking) but we found the price prohibitive.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:52 am
I think Please Touch Museum isn't age appropriate for the full age range you mentioned. I think its OK up to age 8 and that's a bit pushing it. I think its perfect for 3-6/7 year olds.

If you wanted to choose one museum, I'd go for the Franklin Institute. IIRC, the top floor has these interactive sports exhibits which are a lot of fun.

Then I'd go to the Smith Playground. Its really nice there, just find out which day they don't have school groups because otherwise its really crowded. I forget which day...

I didn't choose to do any history-related things on our one-day vacay there, so can't comment on that. Have fun!

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 10:10 am
We've been to Smith playground and my kids loved it. Also, the Benjamin Franklin Museum was very inexpensive and we enjoyed it.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:13 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
10 is a little old for the please touch museum. I would recommend the Franklin Institute. Look at their website to see if their current exhibits would interest your kids.

The Franklin Institute is always the best. Nothing like it.

Unless things have changed, there will be people in Colonial garb talking to kids and giving out interesting information at all of the sites. Definitely hit the Liberty Bell and Independence Mall. Bring lunch and eat in Washington Square, where the tomb of the unknown Revolutionary War soldier is. (Look around. One of the windows facing Washington Square used to be mine.) I love Franklin Court, but not everyone does. I don't think that you can get into Curtis Center on Sunday, but if you can, go in to see the mural on your way from Independence Mall to Washington Square.

Save the Constitution Museum and Eastern State Pentientiary for another time. On a weekday, when you can also hit the Mint.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:16 am
the us mint used to be free ? bring id

doctorima

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:29 am
The Jewish American Museum is great, but for older kids. Please Touch is better for little kids. I would build your day around Franklin Institute or the zoo, as both are great and can fill up half a day (or more at the science museum), and then augment with something free, such as Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross house, or the playground.

Also look into membership, which may come out around the same price and allows you to come back free for a whole year (plus, it's usually tax-deductible, which can make it even cheaper than just paying to go once).

lcraighten

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:32 pm
Foodwise - there is Shalom's Pizza in Haverford and there is Mama's Falafel in Center City. Bala Cynwyd has a couple of kosher places - Yosl's (frozen yogurt) and Nana's (dairy) and Star of David (meat casual). Also NY Bagel right next to the pizza store.

If you want to go to the northeast (about 40 minutes away from the city) there are more options.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 12:00 am
lcraighten wrote:
Foodwise - there is Shalom's Pizza in Haverford and there is Mama's Falafel in Center City. Bala Cynwyd has a couple of kosher places - Yosl's (frozen yogurt) and Nana's (dairy) and Star of David (meat casual). Also NY Bagel right next to the pizza store.

If you want to go to the northeast (about 40 minutes away from the city) there are more options.

If you go to Shalom pizza-- it is very small and not air conditioned. Really more for takeout than eating in.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 5:18 pm
lcraighten wrote:

What food is in Northeast?

lcraighten

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:38 pm
Sorry OP, I didn't check my posts in a little while. I actually don't have so much information about the Northeast, but House Of Kosher is there and although it is a Grocery, they have fresh pizza and sushi as well!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:38 pm
Bumping if anyone knows where a family could stay within walking distance to a shul? We would want to stay over the weekend.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics