Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If your child gets any therapy (speech, OT, PT...)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

the world's best mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:09 pm
aricelli wrote:
So well said! I feel that the therapy didnt change my child as much as it changed me. I learned acceptance. I learned to go with the flow. I learned to be easy. I learned to love my child for who he his.
I love this. BTDT.

Stars

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:20 pm
I have a child who does. You can PM me with specific questions if you want to.

bet

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:46 pm
Yo can PM me if you want , my child gets a lot of all different therapies. I will say though as a parent and someone in the special ed field, parents make a huge difference! You need to advocate for what you think your child needs to his/ her teacher, therapist, or doctors! I see so many parents who don’t and the kids lose out. Be a part of the therapies...etc in your children’s life.

seeker

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 12:47 am
aricelli wrote:
So well said! I feel that the therapy didnt change my child as much as it changed me. I learned acceptance. I learned to go with the flow. I learned to be easy. I learned to love my child for who he his.

I would flip this as advice for the parent - sometimes in all the frenzy of getting the therapists, getting them to/from therapy, setting goals, tracking progress, etc etc etc... you can forget to go with the flow, accept, and appreciate the child the way they are.

Not sure if this was already said because I'm just skimming here and some of the posts were very full.

Please let us know when and where this is published, I love your writing!

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:38 am
Thank you! Some very important points have been made here. I will keep checking for more, and I'll let you know when the article is published.

aricelli

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:40 am
Do you write often or is this your first piece?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:45 pm
aricelli wrote:
Do you write often or is this your first piece?
I write all the time, but I've been concentrating mostly on novels. My first novel is in the process of being published.

I have written a few articles in Ami, Binah and Mishpacha Jr. in the past, and I have a story in Chicken Soup for the Soul as well.

aricelli

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:57 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I write all the time, but I've been concentrating mostly on novels. My first novel is in the process of being published.

I have written a few articles in Ami, Binah and Mishpacha Jr. in the past, and I have a story in Chicken Soup for the Soul as well.

Thats awesome.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 6:14 pm
I went to the Guttmann sisters and they empowered me sooo much. One child they treated and showed me how to “own” my child’s therapy to get success. Another child they guided me on the DOE therapy and completely helped me get what I needed. You should interview them!!! They have great advice and perspective and feel that parents need more education in how to deal with parents.

Good luck with your article.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 6:35 pm
Thank you. Can you tell me something about what they taught you? And/or their contact information?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 6:48 pm
The main thing is there should be at least one therapist who gets the whole picture and help you understand your child and how to deal with things in the house and school that are a result of his weaknesses. I had a child who had multiple therapies and until I paid (alot) for a neuropsychologist, I didn't have the total picture and a plan.
As a child social worker, I do that for parents because I see when their therapists, especially school based ones, don't do that for them.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 6:53 pm
I've had children get therapy. We've done two types of pt, speech, ot and vision.

Home exercises were often tough to get the child to do but really make a world of difference.

You want a therapist who is experienced AND good with kids. The therapist is probably going to work your child hard, you want it to be someone who likes kids and has a good rapport with them so that they'll work for the therapist.

Figuring out the logistics of getting child to therapy is challenging, all the running around to make it happen tiring but it's often not for forever.

Sometimes the progress is slow and steady and sometimes it's not so apparent at the beginning and then then there is huge progress.

You need to feel like you can trust the therapist.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:52 pm
Everyone is making such good points. Thanks!

cbsp

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:17 am
the world's best mom wrote:
Thank you. Can you tell me something about what they taught you? And/or their contact information?

Guttmann sisters
https://handsonotrehab.com/

In Passaic I use Miriam Manela's OT place :

https://thethrivegroup.co/

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:00 am
Thanks!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:42 pm
Just saw this and wanted to add my two cents because I feel these things are so so important.

1. get a written eval with baseline data and measurable specific goals. If you are paying hundreds of $$ for an eval at a frum person who says he doesn't give written reports that is a VERY big red flag. Make sure the goals make sense to you. Make sure they are broken down so that it is easily identifiable when they are achieved. Not therapy mumbo jumbo that you don't understand. If you communicate in English and have the ability to read and write, then you have the right to demand information that makes sense to the average layman. This is SUPPOSED to be for parents information. If it doesn't make sense to you, speak up!

2. Watch very carefully to see how the therapist interacts with your child and BE SURE to see that she works first to earn the child's trust and not just that he uses his authority/adulthood to encourage the child to obey. After a few sessions, they should know what your child's favorite color is and offer that crayon or putty in that color. They should always follow the child's lead and be able to pull back if the child is not engaging so as not to break the trust. They should be watching for the first signs of distress so they can respond by asking the child if they should stop or if its OK to continue. OMG this is so crucial. Don't be afraid to stop a therapist if you see that your child is uncomfortable. Don't think they "know" - you as the parent knows! Don't be intimidated!

3. When a lot of people whether they are teachers, school staff, other people with special needs kids tell you that someone is a great therapist, but you don't think so. TRUST YOUR GUT. Do what works for you and don't just go to the "top" therapist that the town is talking about, unless you really think it is good for your kid. Excellence comes in many different forms.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:51 pm
Very good points. Thank you.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:56 pm
Two children recieve therapy (speech, ot, siet...). I find that the most important thing is communication! The ones that allow you to communicate with them whenever needed are the ones that count most. This way you can fill them in on new issues that come up and you can carry over what they work on at home. One child has a therapists that works hard but doesn’t communicate. I feel like the child is missing out because I would carry over at home... I have no idea what he/she does with the therapist. I also have a therapist that goes the extra mile- she works from the heart. My child’s confidence is improving because of that.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:21 pm
ectomorph wrote:
This is so true. I've basically figured out my own therapy at home. If I lived in town I would have had better choices. We do evals every so often to help myself pinpoint progresa.

This is very arrogant. PT for example is now a doctorate degree. Why do you think you can figure out on your own all a good therapist knows. And as a school based therapist I have to say many of us are very good but prefer the environment and hours. Please don’t base your article on this thread alone.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:44 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Two children recieve therapy (speech, ot, siet...). I find that the most important thing is communication! The ones that allow you to communicate with them whenever needed are the ones that count most. This way you can fill them in on new issues that come up and you can carry over what they work on at home. One child has a therapists that works hard but doesn’t communicate. I feel like the child is missing out because I would carry over at home... I have no idea what he/she does with the therapist. I also have a therapist that goes the extra mile- she works from the heart. My child’s confidence is improving because of that.

Do you contact the therapist and make efforts to increase communication? Very often I take my cues from the parents. If I send frequent written communication and get no response repeatedly, after a while I will put in less effort to include as much detail. On the other hand I've had parents who kept in contact with me often, and I encouraged that and kept them in the loop.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics