Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Eretz Yisrael vs. Siddur party
Previous  1  2

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:35 am
If your little gurl is happy with the rehearsal idea, why pay extra money for a more stressed trip?
I think at this age the parents get moreout of it than the kids.
If she is a shy girl, then the rehearsal is actually ideal.

salt

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:41 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I agree with this, I don’t see why it’s such a big deal to switch it two days later. My school does that all the time.

If they absolutely will not switch it’s a tough call. If you can afford it, & it won’t be a significant cost I think u should change the ticket.
I’ll never forget how my daughter described her siddur part, “It’s one of the most special days in my life, it’s almost like my wedding!” I kid u not. Made me see it as much more serious then the silly little performance I thought it was b4.

Also can’t compare the real thing to rehearsal. First of all they usually get gifted with a siddur, there’s usually cake & fun activities, plus the whole audience makes it much more exciting.

What age was your DD when she said that her siddur party was one of the most special days in her life? If it was a few months later, or even a few years later, I would understand.
If she said that when she was 25, that would be surprising!
Siddur party is a huge deal when the child is 5, but in the long run of things, it's not. And if OP's daughter is fine missing it, and will join the final rehearsal, and get her donut, then she will not be dissapointed for life!
And fairly likely that if the school changes the date, someone else will not be able to make it.

zaq

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:36 am
1. A child needs to learn how to deal with disappointment.
2. A child needs to learn that the world does not revolve around her, and we don’t inconvenience the tzibbur for the yachid.

You absolutely should not change your plans now. Your dd will get over it. However, next time, you should arrange your travel plans so that your children don’t miss school, even without a special event. Deliberately making recreation plans that require skipping school sends children a bad message about where school ranks among your priorities.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:33 am
I’m just surprised the school didn’t give advance notice. We got a note home succos time with potential dates in March & to let school know if we have a conflict with any date. Then sometime I think in November a date was set & mother’s were asked to keep it open.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:16 pm
I agree, my daughters school sent notes home a few times to make sure that the scheduling works for all parents. The date was changed a few times to accommodate everyone.

I think this is an individual decision. I think imasinger brought up the points very well.

You have to decide what's more important to you, however, it does seem that your daughter doesn't mind that much. Whatever you decide it should be with hatzlocha!
Enjoy your trip

Another mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 5:51 pm
Zehava wrote:
Push your ticket back. A siddur party AND graduation is a big deal.

As a mom of a few older kids ---- proportions!!! They will have elem. school graduations, HS and maybe college graduations. And they will hardly remember the kindergarden one. Don't be stressed. Don't miss out on 2 days in EY -or pay!! One of my dds got her siddur from the Chief Rabbi Lau but the rest - I hardly remember and they probably don't either.

cm

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 6:56 pm
It's *kindergarten*, not high school. The dress rehearsal is a great idea. Changing your tickets would be a unnecessary expense and detrimental to the family's experience in Israel. And it's ok to take kids out of school in kindergarten.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:24 pm
Honestly, I wouldn't dream of changing tickets for such a thing. I don't live in the US though so I guess you must make much bigger parties than they do in our parts. Yet, I still can't fathom it being that memorable that you should be changing your entire family's travel plans abroad.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics