Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I'm Frummer than your Frum
Previous  1  2  3

singleagain

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 3:38 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Just to add in my two cents one of my high school teachers who taught about emuna told us in the name of one of the gedolim (sorry I cant remember who) that there is no such thing as a apikorsishe question only and apikorsishe answer.

I like this. Bc I mean.. our whole seder is asking questions. How can a question be apikorsishe? It's a question. If you don't think you can answer it's ok to say "I don't know I'll look into that." Or "let's discuss that privately"

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:30 am
I could open a new thread titled "I'm more normal than you"
The concept of judging and giving out unpleasant vibes goes both ways.
There are lots of very chareidi looking people who feel looked down upon by people with a more modern lifestyle. Bigotry is in every society. Unless you refuse to see it.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:16 am
As I have mentioned many times in the past, my sister runs a Conservative shul. I always stereotype it as a place for old people because the young are too apathetic to bother but they had so many families register for the synagogue Pesach Seder that they had to turn some families away. ( Too bad that they couldn't find a way to accommodate them).

I thought that the reason that all of the Kadoshim in the Pittsburgh shooting were older people was due to lack of interest by the young but in actuality, children had a program later in the morning and young families usually came then. Hashem spared the children because the shooting happened before they came.

My basic point to this diatribe is that even people who are not considered frum, are often involved in mitzvahs and often do try to learn and keep observances. Most are very sincere about whatever they do keep.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:48 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I could open a new thread titled "I'm more normal than you"
The concept of judging and giving out unpleasant vibes goes both ways.
There are lots of very chareidi looking people who feel looked down upon by people with a more modern lifestyle. Bigotry is in every society. Unless you refuse to see it.

I apologize if you felt the title was one sided judgements. That was why I specifically added "newlyweds eating at parent" in my litany of topics. My intention was to illuminate the hostility. Furthermore, I do not consider one sect of Orthodox Judaism to be more frum that another. There are people who are more frum, more careful, more committed, more mindful than others in every group, but I would not compare groups. Who am I to say that MO - machmir/lichatchila is any more or less a truer path than any chassidishe group? Is visnitz better or worse than chabad?(groups I can easily name-not singling anyone out). I'm surely not judging. These paths are different but each has reasons and a belief that their own is Derech Hashem. I would hope that each and every one of us identify with the group that we do because we think it is the Emet, not because it is easier than a different group.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:15 am
southernbubby wrote:
My basic point to this diatribe is that even people who are not considered frum, are often involved in mitzvahs and often do try to learn and keep observances. Most are very sincere about whatever they do keep.

I totally agree. Especially in this age of internet with Jewish information so readily available, I find that so many people who are Conservative, Reform, or just plain Jewish really know a lot and keep a lot of things!

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 8:30 am
People make it a norm so more normal people push back.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 8:52 am
urban gypsy wrote:
I totally agree. Especially in this age of internet with Jewish information so readily available, I find that so many people who are Conservative, Reform, or just plain Jewish really know a lot and keep a lot of things!

That is very heartening.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics