Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If you receive tuition assistance, do you give maaser?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:21 am
The recent maaser threads got me thinking. Many Rabbbanim hold that you should not give maaser if your own financial needs arent met yet.
Do you give maaser if you receive tuition assistance?
And if so,
Did you ask a Rav and were told to do so? What did he say?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:28 am
We asked a rav and were told that tuition cannot count as maaser until the amount of tuition you're paying is more than the amount per student it's actually costing to run a school. In our city it costs about 11k per student to run the school and they're charging 14k. So only that last 3 would be considered maaser.
Obviously each person needs to ask their own rav.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:31 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
We asked a rav and were told that tuition cannot count as maaser until the amount of tuition you're paying is more than the amount per student it's actually costing to run a school. In our city it costs about 11k per student to run the school and they're charging 14k. So only that last 3 would be considered maaser.
Obviously each person needs to ask their own rav.

Thank you, I should clarify im not asking if you use maaser to pay for tuition, but rather if you pay maaser at all, if youre in the situation where you get tuition breaks.

Trying to undrstand how it works.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:32 am
We asked and were told not to give beyond what we already give for tuition. As I posted on the other thread we definitely give tzedaka regularly.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:35 am
Yup we definitely do. Our Rav said our tuition fees can be counted towards our tzedakkah obligations but not to completely fulfill it with that alone. Our tuition fees this upcoming year are $95,000 - most families can't pay that and actually at the school board meeting they told us eighty percent off the school families are on subsidy. We are lucky that the Jewish Federation here gives the schools several million dollars to help offset the costs so kids can attend Jewish Day Schools. I don't think that just because you receive financial help from somewhere exempts you from giving. We receive help from chai lifeline in many ways - we are still obliged to give of our own tzeddakah from our earnings. That's what we have been told.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The recent maaser threads got me thinking. Many Rabbbanim hold that you should not give maaser if your own financial needs arent met yet.
Do you give maaser if you receive tuition assistance?
And if so,
Did you ask a Rav and were told to do so? What did he say?
[u]

What does this even mean? Don't give maaser until your financial needs are met? Adda Rabbah! Hashem promises that those that give maaser will become wealthy. Giving maaser is a financial strategy to achieve wealth. Don't stop giving maaser if your struggling! On the contrary, make sure you ARE giving maaser and then you won't struggle. How is this not obvious???

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:43 am
Quote:
but rather if you pay maaser at all, if youre in the situation where you get tuition breaks.

Ok, didn't get your question at first.
Our rav holds one things has nothing to do with the other. If we are making money we are obligated in maaser (full 10%)
There were a few years when my DH was in school that we were living primarily off student loans and credit cards, then our rav said not to give maaser. But otherwise we do
If people who got tuition assistance didn't pay maaser, there would be a VERY small percentage of people who did.
I work in a school and about 80% of the parents receive some form of assistance

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:48 am
We were paying full tuition and weren't sure we could make it the next year. We were also putting money aside for maaser. My husband went to our rav to ask if we could use some of our maaser to pay for tuition so we don't have to ask for a tuition break. The rav's answer was that if you won't be able to make ends meet, you DO NOT give maaser. That was the only way we could continue to pay full tuition.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics