Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What to buy for camp

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:01 am
My sisters are coming from Israel to camp in the US.
I was wondering what kind of stuff they should be shopping for?
What kind of Skirts/Shirts/accessories/Shabbos outfits/Shoes/Sneaker/PJS are in now?
What kind of knickknacks are girls bringing to camp these days?
Are Any particular brands more popular?
The more detailed the better.
Links would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Y'all

P.S. - they are going to one of the very right leaning yeshivish camps.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:26 am
T shirts and denim skirts that look good on them and appeal to them. Some comfortable dresses.
Slip on sneakers with white sole or lace up denim sneakers or black sock sneakers.
Adidas slippers for swimming & showering.
Natives for wet or muddy activities or that extra pair of lounging shoes.
Bring something to dress up in, maybe a tutu skirt if that appeals to them.
Some fun things that they like, books, sketch paper, slime ingredients, glow sticks, or whatever makes them happy.
They'll need some foldable bins to keep their underwear and accessories sorted on their open shelves. Also a foldable shower caddy holder to bring their shampoos and razor to the shower with them. A foldable travel poncho for the rain.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:30 am
Is this a sleep-away camp? They should have a packing list.

rdmom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:39 am
If you say Yeshivish they might not allow denim.

Some camps, collars are a must. Some not
Length of skirts vary by camps.

Two years ago, my daughter went to camp where they had to wear collars and mid calf skirts.
This year she is going to a camp where t-shirts are ok and longer skirts are the norm.
So it really depends on what camp. If you tell us the name, we can better help you

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 3:04 pm
not so worried about the dress code. I will figure that out.
I am just more interested in whats 'in'

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 3:43 pm
Staffer at yeshivish, right wing camp here. I speak for those like Bnos, BRC, CBY, Tubby types of camps (not including Beiseinu/Machaneinu where they need collars and can't wear long skirts).

At the yeshivish camps above most girls don't wear denim long skirts anymore. No dresses either. Mostly black long skirts with solid t-shirts, shells are mostly out already. Like others said, Natives or Crocs, and slides for showering and swimming. Doesn't have to be Adidas, any brand works. If she likes to swim, 2-piece terry works. Several sweatshirts, the latest is stars going down the sleeves or words going down the sleeve. Not large words in the front. Depending on the age, some kids (like 8th, 9th grade) like to bring a signing pillow, available on Amazon, as an extra. Enough hangers, skirt and regular. A cheap set of linen, if you have extra $ then buy a cute one. Send a lint roller for clearing crumbs off her bed at night.

2 pairs of sneakers and a pair of shoes and one outfit a little more dressy weekday for visiting day. Depending on the camp, a couple of Shabbos outfits. My kids bring 2 for the entire summer but Tubby or other more Jappy camps the girls bring 4.

In addition to regular black knee socks to wear and lose, buy her some funky knee socks, the girls like mismatched printed in all colors. Also neon mismatched laces if she has black sneakers. If you're anyway buying towels, get 1 cute one for swimming if she's 6th-8th grade age. Solids for showering are fine, at least 4 in total.

Glow stuff for campfires, but send along a few for her friends so she can share and fool around with them.

Dina2018

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 4:56 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Staffer at yeshivish, right wing camp here. I speak for those like Bnos, BRC, CBY, Tubby types of camps (not including Beiseinu/Machaneinu where they need collars and can't wear long skirts).

At the yeshivish camps above most girls don't wear denim long skirts anymore. No dresses either. Mostly black long skirts with solid t-shirts, shells are mostly out already. Like others said, Natives or Crocs, and slides for showering and swimming. Doesn't have to be Adidas, any brand works. If she likes to swim, 2-piece terry works. Several sweatshirts, the latest is stars going down the sleeves or words going down the sleeve. Not large words in the front. Depending on the age, some kids (like 8th, 9th grade) like to bring a signing pillow, available on Amazon, as an extra. Enough hangers, skirt and regular. A cheap set of linen, if you have extra $ then buy a cute one. Send a lint roller for clearing crumbs off her bed at night.

2 pairs of sneakers and a pair of shoes and one outfit a little more dressy weekday for visiting day. Depending on the camp, a couple of Shabbos outfits. My kids bring 2 for the entire summer but Tubby or other more Jappy camps the girls bring 4.

In addition to regular black knee socks to wear and lose, buy her some funky knee socks, the girls like mismatched printed in all colors. Also neon mismatched laces if she has black sneakers. If you're anyway buying towels, get 1 cute one for swimming if she's 6th-8th grade age. Solids for showering are fine, at least 4 in total.

Glow stuff for campfires, but send along a few for her friends so she can share and fool around with them.

I am so nostalgic right now... want to go to a camp...

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:36 am
I agree with the poster above about long slinky black shirts and long sleeve t-shirts that do not require a shell. A few other items to keep in mind that may not be on the radar if they have never sent to camp before:

Rain jacket/rain boots/umbrella - Israelis are always shocked at how much it rains in the States during the summer and most camps get pretty muddy during a downpour

Trip bag - a small cute bag or backpack to take with them when they go on trips off campus. Surprisingly (because it was the nerdiest thing when I was growing up!), fanny packs are in right now

Nosh - unless they are taking a lot of $$ for canteen, most girls take nosh to camp, enough to share. It's not because the camp doesn't feed them - more of a social thing.

Laundry - yes, the camp will do their laundry, but the girls won't (and shouldn't) send anything that needs to be washed in cold water and hung to dry, such as their Shabbos outfits, stockings worn on Shabbos, a "nice" everyday outfit that may get ruined... Get them some Woolite and have them know how to do laundry by hand.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 10:09 am
Well not to worry if you don't conform.

My daughter will be going to a RW yeshivish camp. And I just bought her a lot of denim skirts, short and long. And a couple of dresses. They sold them in the Jewish stores. Shocker.

And while she has a lot of solid tees, she'll also have some shells to wear under some sleeveless tops. And her sweatshirts are from old navy. They don't have stars on the sleeve.

Anyone remember the snitches? lol

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 10:54 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Well not to worry if you don't conform.

My daughter will be going to a RW yeshivish camp. And I just bought her a lot of denim skirts, short and long. And a couple of dresses. They sold them in the Jewish stores. Shocker.

And while she has a lot of solid tees, she'll also have some shells to wear under some sleeveless tops. And her sweatshirts are from old navy. They don't have stars on the sleeve.

Anyone remember the snitches? lol

No, what are they?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics