Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
1 Day in Washington DC
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:43 am
I will iyh be for 1 day in Washington DC. Besides for the Holocaust museum what else can I do? Also if there are nice restaurants with a good hechsher.

TIA

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 11:48 am
Smithsonians are free. Monuments. Congress. White House (need tickets). Other museums/government buildings with tours. Only kosher restaurant with a reliable hasgacha in DC is char bar. Capital k is the only reliable hasgacha in DC. Most of their kashrus is outsourced to star k.
https://www.capitolk.org/restaurants.html

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:22 pm
Thanks so much. No time to get passes. Any malls in the area?.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:24 pm
Also, be careful about any chumras. The rabbonim are responsible but any extras like cholev yisroel or beis Yosef or types of scheitah are not standard. Char bar is fleishig.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:30 pm
For most museums, you don't need passes. I think the white house requires one. Never shopped in DC so don't know about malls

DrMom

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 1:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much. No time to get passes. Any malls in the area?.

Well there's the "Mall" -- as in the huge rectangular grassy area along which there are countless museum, monuments, etc.

It seems a waste to go to DC to go to a shopping mall. You could be anywhere and go to a mall. Why not see something interesting?

What about one of the many excellent and free Smithsonian Museums? Air & Space?Natural History? The Freer museum is a lovely museum of Asian Art.
Check out the full list here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....seums

Or the National Portrait Gallery? Or the News Museum?

What about the Lincoln or Jefferson Memorial?

Motherhood

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 3:08 pm
We went to the spy museum, was very nice. Also, as someone else mentioned the smithsonian museums are free- we went to the air and space museum.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 5:37 pm
I am also planning a 1-day trip to Washington. We plan to visit the Capitol, the Smithsonian and the Holocaust museum.

A few questions:

Where do you park?
Where do you store your food, since it's not allowed in the Capitol?
Our capitol tour reservation is from 12:30 to 1:30 and the Holocaust museum at 3:30. Is it feasible to fit Smithsonian in between or will it be very rushed?
Are there buses from one location to the other or should we plan to walk? I'm ok with walking except for the matter of time.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:06 am
I'm still looking for an answer to this question. If you visit the capitol, where did you store your food, since they don't let u bring food inside?

I could leave it in the car but it would be a huge schlep to walk back there after the capital tour since there is no close parking nearby.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:07 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I'm still looking for an answer to this question. If you visit the capitol, where did you store your food, since they don't let u bring food inside?

I could leave it in the car but it would be a huge schlep to walk back there after the capital tour since there is no close parking nearby.

No choice but leave it in the car... sorry!

doctorima

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:18 am
Find out if there are lockers or a checkroom at the Capitol or any nearby buildings where you could leave them. I know the nearby Supreme Court building has lockers, but they're only for use by people observing the Court in session.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:23 am
I looked online and the nearest lockers are in union station which is about a 20 minute walk. I suppose we could eat lunch before the tour and just buy drinks and snacks. (Probably expensive though.)

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:41 am
One more question: what's the closest you can get to the White House? We won't be able to get a tour but where can we go if we just want to walk around outside?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:42 am
Yes. You can get up to the fence and see the outside.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:47 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

I always been able to find street parking around the white house (I have drs about 6 blocks away ). There also are garages if you need. Spothero sometimes has good rates.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:47 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Yes. You can get up to the fence and see the outside.

Which fence? From which direction should we come to get the best view?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:49 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I always been able to find street parking around the white house (I have drs about 6 blocks away ). There also are garages if you need. Spothero sometimes has good rates.

Thanks! How easy would it be to find parking near the WH, then drive to Capitol building and find parking there? I'm imagining a NYC style parking nightmare but maybe it's not so bad. We're going on memorial day if that helps.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:50 am
If you walk down Pennsylvania from the higher numbers, you get to a pedestrian area where you can see the white house. You get a decent view. Its not the rose garden side

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:55 am
I honestly don't know about memorial day. You don't have the feds, but you have the tourists. It's not NY. I have found parking on Sundays a few blocks from museums. I'm not sure what is available near the capital. I have a lot of experience parking near the white house (around 20th and Pennsylvania) at random times during the day because I have a lot of doctors there.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 10:08 am
Thank you so much! Very helpful information.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics