Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacation with a one year old?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:49 am
Anyone have any suggestions where I can go on vacation with a toddler that doesn’t walk yet? Can’t go to very warm places in the summer...is it even possible to go on vacation with toddlers?!

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:51 am
If you have a stroller you can go anywhere. What interests you?

doctorima

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:17 pm
Sure, with a stroller and/or child carriers (we have a really nice one made by Deuter that DH has used to hike miles with kids on his back, but it's not cheap), you can go anywhere! If you want gorgeous scenery and cooler weather, try Canadian Rockies, Seattle, Vancouver, Mt. Tremblant, Quebec City, or Iceland.

SuperWify

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:25 pm
Much easier to go before he starts walking IMO....

Teomima

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:46 pm
I agree with SuperWify, so much easier before they can run off on you! Between a stroller and a carrier, you can go anywhere. Yes, even very warm places (signed, a mom raising young children in the middle of the current Israeli heatwave). It certainly is possible to go on vacation with toddlers, especially when you have only one (also signed, a mom of twins). Go wherever you'd want to go yourself, then incorporate plenty of playgrounds, splashpads, and lots and lots of Cheerios.

trixx

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:48 pm
Go wherever you want and enjoy, a little older and it's not worth traveling with them

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:54 pm
trixx wrote:
Go wherever you want and enjoy, a little older and it's not worth traveling with them

Disagree Smile There are definitely certain advantages to traveling at easier stages, but I would not say that all the traveling we did with toddlers and preschoolers wasn't worth it. If you enjoy traveling, grab every opportunity and make the most of it.

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:07 pm
Just don’t think of it as a vacation. Think of it as a change in scenery. And at this age baby doesn’t have any of his own interests so you could do what we you like to do (not be restricted to kiddie activities)

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 2:06 pm
So does anyone have good ideas? We’re the adventurous sort but I can’t imagine doing anything international and leaving the baby with a hotel babysitter while doing trips. How do you do activities with a baby? Or do you just mean beach and hikes?

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So does anyone have good ideas? We’re the adventurous sort but I can’t imagine doing anything international and leaving the baby with a hotel babysitter while doing trips. How do you do activities with a baby? Or do you just mean beach and hikes?

What sort of thing do you like to do on vacation pre baby? You can do most things with minimal modifications

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 3:16 pm
Stay in jungles in Costa Rica, African safaris, Hawaii flights TMI

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 3:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can do most things with a baby in a carrier. Skip swimming.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 3:28 pm
trixx wrote:

I completely disagree. My kids are now 12, 9, 7, and 3, and we have been traveling every summer for years now. We love it, and look forward to it a whole year!! We go to places that they learned about in school, and we go to places that most of their peers have never even heard of. In fact, we go to places WE have never heard of!! We drive down (or up!) the highway, with a plan in mind, but if we see a sign along the way for something that interest us, we stop.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 5:26 pm
It all depends on you. I find flying with a baby very stressful so I wouldn’t take a long flight with a baby for vacation. I think Europe could be fun with a baby, lots of museums and ruins and places where using a baby carrier would work, but I wouldn’t be able to handle the flight. A national park could work too. I have heard that Japan is a great place to travel with babies but have never been there myself.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 5:52 pm
tichellady wrote:
It all depends on you. I find flying with a baby very stressful so I wouldn’t take a long flight with a baby for vacation. I think Europe could be fun with a baby, lots of museums and ruins and places where using a baby carrier would work, but I wouldn’t be able to handle the flight. A national park could work too. I have heard that Japan is a great place to travel with babies but have never been there myself.

We do US road trips, and we really have a great time.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:17 pm
pesek zman wrote:
What sort of thing do you like to do on vacation pre baby? You can do most things with minimal modifications

I disagree. A one year old isn’t a 4 month old, he/she could start walking any day, need to have meals at the right time, naps. I’m not saying you can’t vacation! We still do, but we look for toddler friendly destinations.

honeymoon

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:21 pm
Vacation with a one year old is an oxymoron to me. More like a change of scenery.

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:34 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I disagree. A one year old isn’t a 4 month old, he/she could start walking any day, need to have meals at the right time, naps. I’m not saying you can’t vacation! We still do, but we look for toddler friendly destinations.

Meals, of course. Adults need to eat too though. I just meant that if OP likes museums, she can go to a museum. If she likes walking around cute towns, she can do that too. Etc etc. A 1 year doesn’t ‘need’ sesame place/children’s museum/petting zoo the way a 3 year old would. I pushed off the kiddie stuff as long as possible. That said while we certainly do kiddie activities now, our 4 year old has been to many, many (BH) adult attractions around the world. It’s more tiring and not as fun (or a different kind of fun) but it’s certainly doable

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:51 pm
I can't understand how you take a vacation with a one year old. I'd love to and we really need to get away but the thought of dealing with the lack of sleep since he's in a new crib, the naps being bounced around and having limited toys makes it sound so daunting. Maybe my baby is more high maintenance, but even a day trip with him is difficult and I come home most uptight than I left.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 7:30 am
My toddler didn't like sleeping in strange places but we did a lot of day trips when she was 1. She loved the baby carrier (we have a Lillebaby) and happily munched on cheerios and fruit and a sandwich for lunch.
We love to hike and live very close to lots of terrific hiking areas. Once she got closer to two she didn't like the carrier anymore and she got heavy. Now we do the kiddie places with her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics