Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Nutritionist/ Dietician for kid?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:30 am
My 10 yr old is getting heavier and heavier. I’m considering taking her to a nutritionist but not sure that’s the answer. (Yes, she’s been checked out by doctor. Nothing wrong with her). I’ve already educated her about what’s healthy and what isn’t. I work very hard at only keeping healthy foods in the house. But she overeats the healthy stuff plus has access to junk food almost daily between school and friends ‘ houses.
Will a good nutritionist actually know how to motivate her? Or are they just going to make menu suggestions and weigh her weekly?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:32 am
Weighing her weekly and having her obsess over a food log sounds terrible. Sad

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:39 am
I think it's more appropriate for you to work with the nutritionist yourself, to figure out how to best incorporate changes for her and your whole family.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:53 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I think it's more appropriate for you to work with the nutritionist yourself, to figure out how to best incorporate changes for her and your whole family.

That's really sound advice.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:00 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

I’m very into clean eating. My meals are natural and healthy and balanced. I give her an appropriate portion. It’s more about what to do when she asks for 2nd and 3rd servings. She’s a kid. I don’t want her to hungry.

It’s also about HER being able to turn down the junk being offered at school and friends’ houses. She has to take the reigns. Unless I home school her and end play dates, I can’t control that.

How can I motivate her? That’s what I’m wondering if a nutritionist would do where I’ve failed.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:03 pm
She's way too young to take responsibility for her own food choices when you're not around. And there's a huge risk of shame and guilt if you try handing off this responsibility to her. Are you sure she's getting enough fat and calories from the food you're preparing for her? How much junk can she be getting from other people?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics