Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If your child gets any therapy (speech, OT, PT...)
Previous  1  2  3

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:47 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
This is very arrogant. PT for example is now a doctorate degree. Why do you think you can figure out on your own all a good therapist knows. And as a school based therapist I have to say many of us are very good but prefer the environment and hours. Please don’t base your article on this thread alone.

Don't worry, amother. I know amazing therapists who work for the system and I know there are many of them. Although I have learned a lot from my children's therapists, I know I need their guidance because they are experts.

The poster you are responding to doesn't live in an area that has good therapy options, so she learned what she could do on her own, which is amazing. She is a wonderful mother doing her best to help her child. I didn't hear her say that she is better than therapists. Only that she learned what she had to do to help her child as a replacement for the therapy that is not available where she lives.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:50 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Do you contact the therapist and make efforts to increase communication? Very often I take my cues from the parents. If I send frequent written communication and get no response repeatedly, after a while I will put in less effort to include as much detail. On the other hand I've had parents who kept in contact with me often, and I encouraged that and kept them in the loop.
Correct. But you start out sending notes, and you stop because they don't respond. My child has had therapists in school who never reached out to begin with.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:55 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Do you contact the therapist and make efforts to increase communication? Very often I take my cues from the parents. If I send frequent written communication and get no response repeatedly, after a while I will put in less effort to include as much detail. On the other hand I've had parents who kept in contact with me often, and I encouraged that and kept them in the loop.

Very much so! I have a communication notebook for a different kid and we write back and forth. It makes a huge difference.

ectomorph

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:56 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
This is very arrogant. PT for example is now a doctorate degree. Why do you think you can figure out on your own all a good therapist knows. And as a school based therapist I have to say many of us are very good but prefer the environment and hours. Please don’t base your article on this thread alone.

Many of the therapies originated as parents trying to help their kids.

As I pointed out repeatedly I get my kids re evaluated by a real therapist every so often. This therapist also gives me suggestions. I take those suggestions and do them

For instance one of my kids didn't eat. We did feeding therapy for a year. It was pretty useless. I went to a new top place and got an eval and some suggestions. Also did a lot of googling. Child now eats pretty normally. Its a lot of work on my part.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 2:00 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Very much so! I have a communication notebook for a different kid and we write back and forth. It makes a huge difference.

I agree!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics