Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Happiness Cipher- New serial in Binah by Etka G!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 15  16  17  Next

Scotty

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 8:59 am
Quote:

Which sector does Harry belong to? Being that he has a Yiddish name and speaks the language, would he have been of the poor immigrant Jews that arrived from the Pale of Settlement around 1880 (when he would have been about 10)?
Was he from the East End?
Do we know his name before it was Franklin?
I'd thought his accent was a good ole Cockney, but perhaps it is a Manchester accent?

He's definitely a Cockney from the East End, but was born there in 1869 - by the time the wave of Russians from the Pale arrived in the 80's he was already in South Africa. There was a massive (and fascinating) Jewish community in England preceding that immigration, though it did change a lot with it. (Historically, Barney Barnato was an East End boy who famously 'made good' in SA.)

South Africa was so very much a Rainbow Nation - we barely get to see much of it - but trying to struggle through Scotty Smith's Scottish brogue and Reg Baker's Cornish and Birdie's Lithuanian-Russian-Yiddish-English and Harry's Cockney and Jamie's Wooster-erian way of thinking has really put it all in context for me, and that's without even having any Hindu, Chinese, Irish, American, or Jewish-but-not-Cockney characters with us at all.

You never actually see Harry's Yiddish, though, because I have not been able to find audio representation of what Cockney Yiddish actually sounds like :-)

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 1:30 pm
Scotty wrote:
Quote:

Which sector does Harry belong to? Being that he has a Yiddish name and speaks the language, would he have been of the poor immigrant Jews that arrived from the Pale of Settlement around 1880 (when he would have been about 10)?
Was he from the East End?
Do we know his name before it was Franklin?
I'd thought his accent was a good ole Cockney, but perhaps it is a Manchester accent?

He's definitely a Cockney from the East End, but was born there in 1869 - by the time the wave of Russians from the Pale arrived in the 80's he was already in South Africa. There was a massive (and fascinating) Jewish community in England preceding that immigration, though it did change a lot with it. (Historically, Barney Barnato was an East End boy who famously 'made good' in SA.)

South Africa was so very much a Rainbow Nation - we barely get to see much of it - but trying to struggle through Scotty Smith's Scottish brogue and Reg Baker's Cornish and Birdie's Lithuanian-Russian-Yiddish-English and Harry's Cockney and Jamie's Wooster-erian way of thinking has really put it all in context for me, and that's without even having any Hindu, Chinese, Irish, American, or Jewish-but-not-Cockney characters with us at all.

You never actually see Harry's Yiddish, though, because I have not been able to find audio representation of what Cockney Yiddish actually sounds like :-)

My grandfather has a cockney accent and speaks Yiddish as well. Kinda sounds like Yiddish with a cockney accent LOL

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 5:51 pm
amother wrote:
My grandfather has a cockney accent and speaks Yiddish as well. Kinda sounds like Yiddish with a cockney accent LOL

So did mine Very Happy

But Harry would have had a completely different Yiddish - from the older German Jews who came before the 1880's - I bet he picked up the Yiddish he used to communicate with Birdie from his Russian pals in South Africa.

Scotty I am loving this!!
I just recently got into learning about Jewish British history - I'm fascinated by the combination of origins - sephardic, dutch, German, Polish. I heard that the traditional British fish 'n chips as its origins in sephardic cuisine!

eta: did you see what I did!? I completely unintentionally left off the 'h' in my last sentence Smile

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 6:52 pm
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, Scotty, but the suspense is unbearable!

It's worse than when Gella was in labor for two (or was it three?) weeks!

Please, please can we find out what happened already (what Harry did, how Srul died etc.), and while we're at it, let Birdie confess, and then you can get on with their feelings and all.

Thank you!

Chavas

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 6:43 pm
Is anyone else going crazy from suspense?

rdmom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:38 pm
I didn’t read this issue yet. I left it for pesach

sophy

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 11:33 am
To Scotty.....
Im loving this new series.... great reading....
I gave up secular reading material so its good to read something awesome and suspenseful..and keeping me on my toes......

sirel

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:44 am
The question and answer on this thread (previous page) were in the letters to the editor this past week!!!

Who did that?
Scotty?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 1:31 pm
Oh Harry...
Oh Birdie...
This is all gonna explode...
I wish I could step into the scene and give them both a big hug and some guidance!

cbsp

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 6:37 pm
sirel wrote:
The question and answer on this thread (previous page) were in the letters to the editor this past week!!!

Who did that?
Scotty?

OMG, that's why it looked so familiar! I kept thinking I had read the exchange somewhere already and maybe Binah accidentally re-ran a letter or maybe turned an interview into a letter to the editor ...

Thank you for saving my sanity!

penguin

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 7:12 pm
Quote:
I heard that the traditional British fish 'n chips as its origins in sephardic cuisine!
Well that ought to be
I heard that the traditional British fish 'n chips 'as its origins in sephardic cuisine!
Just so's we know what you meant. Or didn't mean.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:48 am
I feel like Gella's in labor again!! I'm savoring every word while wishing for it to get to the point!!

Scotty

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:06 am
Quote:
I heard that the traditional British fish 'n chips as its origins in sephardic cuisine!

I didn't realize it was Sephardic - but it was definitely a super popular Jewish food in Whitechapel - Zangwill talks about a lot as the supreme Yom Tov delicacy!

All these 'dropped haitches' jokes are delicious :-)

Quote:
I feel like Gella's in labor again!! I'm savoring every word while wishing for it to get to the point!!

YASSSSSSSSS

Oh we gonna have fun this month....

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:48 pm
I can't bring myself to follow these threads because I don't subscribe to Binah.
Scotty, is there any chance of your novels coming out in book form??

Miri1

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 9:49 pm
Did anyone follow Leo's thought process?
What is the significance of the withdrawals, unmarked envelopes and the ledger??
If Leo figured it out, then maybe I can too and not have wait on the edge of my seat until next week!? ... or the week after? or the week after that!

sirel

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:41 am
Miri1 wrote:
Did anyone follow Leo's thought process?
What is the significance of the withdrawals, unmarked envelopes and the ledger??
If Leo figured it out, then maybe I can too and not have wait on the edge of my seat until next week!? ... or the week after? or the week after that!

[I think I understood that] Harry was sending money to Leo's mom.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:55 am
[font=Courier New][quote="Scotty"]
Quote:

I didn't realize it was Sephardic - but it was definitely a super popular Jewish food in Whitechapel - Zangwill talks about a lot as the supreme Yom Tov delicacy!

All these 'dropped haitches' jokes are delicious :-)[
/font]

I'm not Sephardic, but my grandparents a"H were British - my Grandma made the tastiest fried haddock for Shabbos lunch Smile
Who is Zangwill? Did I miss him in the story?

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:39 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I can't bring myself to follow these threads because I don't subscribe to Binah.
Scotty, is there any chance of your novels coming out in book form??

Some of them already did.
Full Harvest for sure, I think Grey Lines. Don't remember which others. I would love to see Fischel Kirschenbaum; I feel like it did better as a serial but I also don't want it to disappear.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 10:52 am
Ok...
So what's going on this week?
Are we supposed to get what's happening? I always thing I'm missing out something between the lines.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 12:47 pm
seeker wrote:
Some of them already did.
Full Harvest for sure, I think Grey Lines. Don't remember which others. I would love to see Fischel Kirschenbaum; I feel like it did better as a serial but I also don't want it to disappear.

No. Grey Lines and after haven't.
Page 5 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room