Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Measles wipes out immune system memory
Previous  1  2  3  Next

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:54 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Anti vaxxer here, posting very anonymously. If measles causes significant harm to the immune system, how is it that so many baby boomers born before 1950 who had measles, are living such long and healthy lives? Is this article fake news?

It temporarily disables the immune system which leaves the person vulnerable to other infections. This can last for several weeks or months but isn't permanent.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:56 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
You're fake news

And you are too funny LOL LOL

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:09 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It temporarily disables the immune system which leaves the person vulnerable to other infections. This can last for several weeks or months but isn't permanent.

The article says "even years".

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:10 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Anti vaxxer here, posting very anonymously. If measles causes significant harm to the immune system, how is it that so many baby boomers born before 1950 who had measles, are living such long and healthy lives? Is this article fake news?

I don't know anything about this specific article, but it's certainly not controversial to say that many people who had the measles at that time (and survived) suffered very much from it. There's a reason the vaccine was developed.

sequoia

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:12 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

Because they are THE ONES WHO SURVIVED

Sebastian

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:17 pm
They aren't that healthy either..

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:20 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

Sure does. Still doesnt mean permenant. AND DO YOU REALLY WANT YOUR KID TO CH"V HAVE IMMUNITY ISSUES FOR "EVEN YEARS" ? WHAT?!

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:32 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Sure does. Still doesnt mean permenant. AND DO YOU REALLY WANT YOUR KID TO CH"V HAVE IMMUNITY ISSUES FOR "EVEN YEARS" ? WHAT?!

No, but let's discuss the facts and not exaggerate the article to make a point.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:33 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
No, but let's discuss the facts and not exaggerate the article to make a point.

Not exaggerating anything. I'm using the words you chose to pick out.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:40 pm
sequoia wrote:
Because they are THE ONES WHO SURVIVED

What does this mean? Do you know that in 1950 the fatality rate as a result of the measles was around 1 in 1000 cases? It was even less than that (meaning fewer deaths per 1000 measles cases) by the time the vaccine was introduced in the mid 1960's. I'm not sure what you mean THE ONES THAT SURVIVED. Basically EVERYBODY survived.

FYI this is all easily found thru a simple google search. No chiddushim here.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:43 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

It would be interesting to know how often it crippled the immune system for years but if one out of 600 develops a fatal brain disorder a decade or more later, then I believe it could take years. How unlucky!

sequoia

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:51 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
What does this mean? Do you know that in 1950 the fatality rate as a result of the measles was around 1 in 1000 cases? It was even less than that (meaning fewer deaths per 1000 measles cases) by the time the vaccine was introduced in the mid 1960's. I'm not sure what you mean THE ONES THAT SURVIVED. Basically EVERYBODY survived.

Ok, let’s talk about selection bias.

Let’s say there are ten kids born in a family, and eight die in infancy or early childhood from various diseases. The two surviving ones, who are the strongest and healthiest, grow up and live to a ripe old age. And then people like you say, “see, they lived to be 85-90, look how healthy people used to be and how long they lived!” What you’re not taking into account is everyone who wasn’t hardy enough to withstand the diseases, and you are concluding that the diseases were no big deal or even beneficial. That is a logical fallacy.

esuss

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:58 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
How do I go out to get other kids from busses or go to the doctor? leave this minor (technologically dependant home alone?) forget about some fresh air...
do I make a chute now from my window?

Can you talk to your neighbor whose children were exposed and explain your child's situation. Hopefully the two of you could figure out a way to make the situation doable for both of you. If the doh already knows maybe they have guidelines for you to protect yourselves. Maybe those children have to be kept inside during certain hours of the day allowing you safe access to the hallway.

devo1982

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:59 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

You do realize that unless measles directly killed them, it wouldn't be recorded on their death certificate as the cause of death, yes? So sure, 1 in 1000 people in the 1950s may have died as a direct and provable result of measles, if someone died of say, pneumonia a year later, their cause of death would be listed as pneumonia. Not measles. Both because measles wasn't the immediate cause of death and because nobody would have known that they could have been more susceptible to dying from it due to having had measles.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:05 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

Yes, the mortality rate was "only" 1/1000. However, the rate of serious complications was very high.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 11:57 pm
devo1982 wrote:
You do realize that unless measles directly killed them, it wouldn't be recorded on their death certificate as the cause of death, yes? So sure, 1 in 1000 people in the 1950s may have died as a direct and provable result of measles, if someone died of say, pneumonia a year later, their cause of death would be listed as pneumonia. Not measles. Both because measles wasn't the immediate cause of death and because nobody would have known that they could have been more susceptible to dying from it due to having had measles.

Possibly cancers that killed people years later may also have been caused by the loss of the immune system due to measles.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 4:29 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I wonder if and how this can benefit people with immune system issues, such as autoimmune disease, allergies, etc.

Someone I know told me she'd like for her kid to get measles bec it will get rid of his overactive immune system; allergies and eczema. I personally think that's a bit backward and way too risky...

Sunny Days

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 6:47 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Someone I know told me she'd like for her kid to get measles bec it will get rid of his overactive immune system; allergies and eczema. I personally think that's a bit backward and way too risky...

What would be nice is eradicating the antibiotic resistance. But doubt that comes along with the package- and still not worth the risk if you’ll be susceptible to every single infection/virus out there for next while bec all your defenses are down.
Nope. I’m not allowing my kids to get measles, be’H.

imasoftov

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 7:13 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
What would be nice is eradicating the antibiotic resistance. But doubt that comes along with the package- and still not worth the risk if you’ll be susceptible to every single infection/virus out there for next while bec all your defenses are down.
Nope. I’m not allowing my kids to get measles, be’H.

As I understand it, it is bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, not the immune system, so unless there was a way to give the bacteria the measles and bacteria had immune systems that were also affected by measles, that wouldn't work.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 30 2019, 2:19 am
Chilukei dayos: This articles mentions how measles is beneficial for the immune system:

https://physiciansforinformedc...../dis/
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics