Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Average and generous check with Kvittel for Skulener Rebbe?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 1:13 am
What is considered an average check and what is considered a generous check with Kvittel for the Skulener Rebbe?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 1:27 am
Average 360

Generous 500-1000

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 9:55 am
Anyone else has an opinion?

Does this mean that most everyone gives $360+ with a Kvittel?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 9:57 am
I've seen people giving $1,$5, $10, $20... you can give as much as you feel like, your kvittel will be accepted.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:03 am
Not OP, but is it possible to send a kvittel by mail?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
Not OP, but is it possible to send a kvittel by mail?

Maybe ask for Gabbai's phone number and ask if you can send it to him.

yksraya

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 9:34 pm
The skulener rebbi was nifter last wk. Or do you mean for his son, the new rebbi?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 2:09 pm
That's shocking. I've never paid any rebbe to receive me

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 2:45 pm
Ruchel wrote:

No offense Ruchel
But they probably felt bad for you

It's sort of like going to a Kosher deli and being called to the back room and given a big bag of food on the house

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 4:02 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
No offense Ruchel

It's sort of like going to a Kosher deli and being called to the back room and given a big bag of food on the house

Based on Ruchel's answer, I would say Europeans maybe work things differently, but Im the same amother from the thread a few months ago, with the uniquely greedy European Machatonim who shamelessly and proudly asked for $20,000 a year, every year, for our mutual couple (they give zilch), that is married 15+ years, despite the fact that we've been giving plenty already.

So imho, many Europeans seem to be MORE focused on money than Americans, not less.

I think Modern Orthodox people arent as used to writing checks to their Rabbis like the more Heimish crowd is.

amother
White

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 4:07 pm
Give according to your ability. The Rebbe gives his bracha regardless and may not even know how much you gave.

We live in the UK and we've gone into Rebbes several times when they were visiting and we never gave more than £50, if that.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 4:12 pm
Ruchel wrote:

How do you think rebbe's make money to support their own people? When people come see them for a bracha or guidance, it is customary to leave a donation. That's just how things work.

nchr

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 4:26 pm
Average is $50-$100, with $100 being the nicer end of average. Some people give much more, obviously (as shown in this thread) but it is not necessary, especially if you cannot afford it. Most do not even look at the check/money given, and some return it if they know you are struggling financially. I'm Chassidish if that matters for this advice.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
How do you think rebbe's make money to support their own people? When people come see them for a bracha or guidance, it is customary to leave a donation. That's just how things work.

The money is not for his personal use.
He distributes it to Tzedakah.(Skulen specifically)

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:13 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
No offense Ruchel

Wow, that's mean.

Why is her experience any less valid than yours?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 10:03 pm
I found this interesting old post. I agree with NCHR. I think from 50 dollars and up is considered very nice for low or almost low income and medium income. If you have comfortable income a 100 is proper. To the rebbe. My DH gives also S/t to Gabbai. I think to gabbai 20 and up but DH gave more depending how he felt. I'm lower income but not very low BH. I strugle every month to finish up the bills but end up just about paying them with a delay. One of my sons goes to a Rebbe occasionally straight from yeshiva and I know he gives way too little. I mail then to the Gabbai an envelope. Inside I put a check to the Rebbe and one to the gabai.
The money given to the Rebbe is called "pidyon" the money to the gabbai is just a tip. I think at some Rebbes the gabbai colects the pidyon but I'm not sure.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:43 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
No offense Ruchel

Why do people always preface an incredibly mean and insensitive remark with "no offense." Is it to make them feel better than they are going to say something unnecessarily cruel? "No offense" before a mean statement doesn't let anyone off the hook. Its still offensive and hurtful. But I guess people who say "no offense" don't really care about that or they wouldn't say it.

And you even did it under your screen name.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 1:43 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
No offense Ruchel

The Skulener Rebbe, zt"l, would be so pained to read this.
He genuinely cared for every Yid and I don't think he expected any money for his bracha.

In fact, he has in his lifetime said, in his great humility, that he's afraid it's geneivas daas, since people think he knows how to read kvitlach, and they're giving a pidyon for that...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries