Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you live without AC?
Previous  1  2

Rappel

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:45 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Op. I'm curious to know what city you live in?

Itamar. Usually we get gorgeous mountain breezes up here, but the whole Middle East is in the midst of a 4 day heat wave

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 1:01 am
I also live in Israel, on the coast, in a city a lot hotter and more humid than Itamar.
I only installed a/c in the kids rooms recently. They all have good ceiling fans, and even now none of them like to sleep with the mazgan on (all teens).
TBH I dont sleep with the mazgan either, it makes me sick. Ceiling fan and open window if necessary.
During the day, though, the a/c at my house is on from 7 am till around 9 or 10 pm (we go to bed later, but the house is usually cold enough by then). These are the public areas, the bedrooms are only cooled if someone is there during the day.
I wouldnt drill for only a few more months (unless the landlord is willing to share costs). There are portable a/c units, I believe. Get one or two of those and take them with you when you go.
Btw I was here thirty years ago when barely anyone had a/c. It was very, very hot. We used to wet our clothes, sheets and hair in order to cool ourselves down. I remember moving in slow motion, barely able to do anything.

cbsp

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 1:08 am
Have you tried something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiI5PbsnAfs

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 1:15 am
Rappel wrote:
So I guess the answer here is...no one knows how to live without an A.C. anymore.

Got it. Thanks!

You posted American time so now the Israelis are waking up.
I live in israel. We have one unit in the living room none in the rooms. It's usually fine as we live in yerushalyim so it gets cool at night but last night was a killer.
We deal. We have fans, open windows and were hot. We all survive. It's just something you deal with.

Sleek

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 1:21 am
Keep windows closed, and trissim if you can.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 1:26 am
I grew up without AC. Only my parents had one on their bedroom. It was the only one in the house. We slept with fans blowing on us and we took cool baths right before bedtime . Our hair was nice and wet and kept us comfortable enough. We never complained. It's harder when you're an adult.

When I moved into the house I live in now we only had one working AC in the dining room. Our bedrooms had fans. After two stifling summers we finally installed central air.

zebra111

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:14 am
Cold baths before bed. Then another when u next wake up Wink
I read in iraq they used to stuff the windows with leaves and wet them so it cooled the breeze as it passed through. Maybe a wet sheet would do the same? In yerushalayim there is a breeze, its just a hot one!
Anyway, I hope uv got a new fan by now so u have a comfortable shabbat..

yerushamama

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 3:48 am
Try looking for a swamp cooler - fan/humidifier combo. They work really well, esp if you use ice instead of water. Another idea is to put bowls of ice right in front of the fan - same idea, blowing the cold humid air towards you.

bunnyrabbit

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 3:48 am
Same here, OP. I live in the shfela and it's actually just way too hot right now. AC only in the LR and costs a fortune to run.
Fans help but it is really, really hot. I am also in a rental.
In our other yechida we installed ceiling fans. They were great.
I am thinking of putting one in my kids room too. They have a wall fan but they're in a bunk bed and only one kid gets the fan at a time!
I also read about using the wet sheet but don't know if it really helps...
hatzlcha.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:04 am
Op if you are in NY, I believe there’s a gemach that lends AC

amother
Purple

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:18 am
As so many people already said, enjoy fans on regular warm nights but if there’s a heatwave, move pillows and blankets to the living room. You seem very opposed to that for some reason. During a heat wave there is really no other way to stay cool throughout the night.
Where I live, it is about 90 degrees during the day and in the 80’s at night with a lot of humidity. We have central air, however it just broke! My room has a ceiling fan and I have a clip on fan next to my bed. I’m warm since the air circulating is warm but it’s manageable. My kids have clip on fans blowing in their faces but they complain a lot. We discovered that the only way to fix our ac is to redo the wiring in the house and install a new unit. This will cost around 1/2 years rent!!! ( we own our house, I’m just giving you an idea “)
We were supposed to have sleepover guests this shabbos. We had to cancel on them due to the heat and broken air conditioning. In this weather, fans are just not enough to keep comfortable.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:23 am
We lived without a/c for a while . Eventually we got a portable unit. It didn't work as well as well unit but significantly improved the temperature. You can stick the exhaust pipe out a window and it can be easily moved from room to room until you decide where it's best to put it

moonstone

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:59 am
zebra111 wrote:
Cold baths before bed. Then another when u next wake up Wink
I read in iraq they used to stuff the windows with leaves and wet them so it cooled the breeze as it passed through. Maybe a wet sheet would do the same? In yerushalayim there is a breeze, its just a hot one!
Anyway, I hope uv got a new fan by now so u have a comfortable shabbat..

That's interesting about the wet leaves! Maybe there's something to a fan blowing through water-- here (Israel) in the old days, people would pour a puddle of water on the floor in front of a fan. It was supposed to feel cooler that way. I've never tried it though. We've got the ac on and I'm also sitting in front of a fan. What a horrible heatwave we're having! After such a cold, wet winter (which I'm missing now, I've always hated the heat).

rzab

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 5:18 am
Last night I saw portable air conditioners in osher ad for 200ils. No clue about their quality but I might help. No drilling necessary and if you don't need them when you move you can always sell them.

Bc you are right, none of us know how to live without ac anymore 😂

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:27 am
Keep blinds and curtains drawn, especially if your windows face south or west.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:38 am
What lovely suggestions here! Thank you!

I read that the heat is supposed to break tonight, which will give us a little more time to prepare for the next wave. I'm intrigued by the idea of wetting our curtains, and portable ACS. That sounds very doable!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics