Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Stridor in newborn

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:23 am
My newborn had been diagnosed with stridor. Doctor said not to worry about it and that he will eventually outgrow it. Anyone else has experience with it? I have some questions

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 3:27 am
my newborn just had it a few weeks ago. He wasn't sleeping well one night, and eventually began to cough and breath in an awful way. The ER diagnosed stridor, but with inhalation and steroids he was totally fine the next day, end of story, hodu lashem.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 6:37 am
My newborn had this two days last week and sometimes I hear t more than others. I remeber from one of my other children that they had it and ENT diagnosed them with laryngomalacia... not sure spelling but you can google it. Eventually they outgrow. But if it’s getting worse or you’re scared go to eNT for diagnosis and guidance .

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 7:35 am
Go to an ENT to get it diagnosed. My newborn needed surgery. It will get better by itself, but severe cases need surgery to open the airway. Also, there was no getting worse with mine. So I would make an appointment asap to make sure the newborns airway isn't mostly blocked.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 8:38 am
Did your baby always have the strider and that’s how you realized needed surgery, or it would come and go? Just asking bec my baby has it but it comes and goes. One day it sounded very bad but lasted for short time

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 8:52 am
It came and went. It was my first baby. We kept taking to the pediatrician (different ones at the same group) and they didn't hear it. They said everything was normal. We finally went to a different pediatrician and they sent us to the hospital. In my experience, pediatricians were bad at diagnosing. We had no other symptoms. All the ENT doctors were surprised my baby never turned blue. Chasdei hashem. If it's severe, they will operate. If not severe, they will not and just let them grow out of it. Moderate cases will need steroids, steam from showers when the child has a cold. It's probably mild and nothing will be done. But please take him to the ENT in case he is severe. Chasdei hashem, my son outgrew any residual stridor by 1.5-2.

I don't mean to scare you. In the scheme of things, it's really not a big deal. Scary at the time, especially because he was my first. But please just take him in, just to be sure

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:44 pm
Would an ENT be the only one to diagnose it? I took video of the episode , u think a pulmonologist can?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:45 pm
Sorry didn’t mean to take over from
Original posters concerns

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:49 pm
Pulmonologist deal with the lungs. Stridor is caused by floppy tissue in the airway above the lungs so I would see an ENT. They can use a scope to see the obstruction. A video can help, but they will look in the scope to see how much of the airway is blocked. Our DC was over 90%.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:52 pm
Also, I don't mean to scare everyone. Most babies with stridor don't need any intervention. We just had a bad case. I also don't think there is any way to know how bad it is without going to an ENT. And chasdei hashem, my DC is completely fine after he outgrew it. It's not a major health issue.

ectomorph

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:10 pm
You can and should always go for a second opinion when you're not sure.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:13 pm
Wow navy that is scary!! And your baby at certain times seemed to breath fine? Any other symptoms?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:15 pm
Yes. It only happened sometimes. But BH hes fine and healthy and active now.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:16 pm
I just reread your post and I see you said no other symptoms. Wow. I hear the strider a little more after crying or during feeding. But last week one day my baby just seemed like gasping for air like every inhalation had the strider. But then it disappeared .

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:18 pm
It usually is aggregated when crying or eating. I heard it a lot when he was sitting in a car seat. But most of the time he was fine.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 7:32 pm
Thank you for the information. I got an apt by the ENT this week. Thank you to the original poster

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:29 am
Hi, thanks all for the information. My baby is 5 weeks old. I heard it on and off but never with gasping for air. I noticed that when on his stomach, I don't hear it. I started putting him to sleep on his stomach the last few days and I haven't heard it even once. Does that make sense or is it coincidental? Pediatrician said to ignore it. Should I still take him to an ENT?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:39 am
I'm not a doctor or a medical professional. Just a mom. I heard stridor on and off since birth. He never gasped for air. He at surgery at 6 weeks. I found that certain positions did not have stridor and made it easier to breathe. I don't remember if stomach was one of them. If you think the Dr is good, I would trust him. If your baby ever struggles to breathe, steam from a shower is good. If you have insurance and an ENT is a small copay that you can afford, I would go. It never hurts to check it out. It's a pretty common condition and most babies are fine with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics