Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais yaakov of the lower east side

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:44 am
Hi. Does anyone have younger girls in BYLES? I live in Brooklyn and am considering this school for my daughter. What's the busing like? What kinds of families are in the school? What's the level of education like, compared to BYBP?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:54 pm
Do they have a high school by any chance?

bsy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:01 pm
No high school

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:14 pm
Why would you send your daughter to a tiny school in Manhattan I’d you live in Brooklyn???

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:19 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Why would you send your daughter to a tiny school in Manhattan I’d you live in Brooklyn???

I'm looking for a school that fits my ideals and parent body. While some schools in Brooklyn may hit some bullets, they fall short in other areas, like class size, or are very exclusive and I likely won't get in. I'm looking to hear about this school. As far as I heard, it's not a tiny school.

happy12

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:22 pm
There are lots of girls in Kensington who go.

pesek zman

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:28 pm
We interviewed there (don’t live in Brooklyn though) and was told that about 1/2 the girls are from Brooklyn but mainly from Kensington (she doesn’t provide bussing to other areas as far as I know)

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:36 pm
I'm actually from Kensington but live in flatbush now. Thanks pesek zman. I wonder if anyone buses in from flatbush.

pesek zman

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 2:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm actually from Kensington but live in flatbush now. Thanks pesek zman. I wonder if anyone buses in from flatbush.

I don’t think the school sends a bus from Flatbush

livinginflatbus

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 4:15 pm
Everyone I know who send there is really happy . I think they really care about the kids ...

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 4:24 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
Everyone I know who send there is really happy . I think they really care about the kids ...

Based on your screen name, are any of those people in flatbush??

livinginflatbus

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 4:33 pm
The people I know live in Kensington or near Flatbush.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 4:38 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
The people I know live in Kensington or near Flatbush.

Thanks. I live in the middle of flatbush so that would be an issue. Are there any other schools like this one??

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 5:04 pm
I know many people who send their girls there. I also know a bunch of girls who taught there. Everyone is very happy. It's a smaller school and a very welcoming atmosphere. They have a really top-notch education.

They must have some sort of transportation from Flatbush, since more and more people from Flatbush are sending their girls there.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

livinginflatbus

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 5:14 pm
I’m sure they provide transportation from Flatbush .

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:50 pm
I have kids there now. We don't go by bus but I am quite sure their friends from Flatbush take the same Brooklyn bus as Kensington. It's probably farther though, longer ride.

It's not so easy to get in especially if they already have a lot of kids from the neighborhood and sisters. It's a community school first so anyone from the community is automatically accepted. The community is small and aging though so they've had some smaller incoming classes lately. In addition to locals they get a handful from the upper west side and Kensington, and some nearby chabad families from around Manhattan that are too far from the chabad schools in crown heights. Some classes have as many as 25 or more, some smaller. Usually kindergarten and pre1a smaller because fewer people are interested in busing in such young kids.

The building is historically old but has been updated and it's really beautiful. There are murals on the walls, a lot of student-created art and work, a lovely but small library, a really nice auditorium. The classrooms are clean and well organized. Smart boards in every room. Assistants in all classes through I think at least 3rd grade. A resource room, kriah "lab," science lab for older grades, they have a social worker in the school and I think a speech therapist too.

The academic level is definitely competitive. They also have wonderful programs like a bas mitzvah program, a concert every other year, monthly assemblies, they celebrate each kid's birthday, a book fair each year with a book that every single child from first through eighth grade published in writing...

I think one reason people go from Brooklyn is because it's a solidly right wing Bais Yaakov but with a more chilled out student body. It combines yeshivish values with strong academics. They're very with-it when it comes to new programs and resources that come out in education.

We're very happy so far bh. My kids are young but you can see the older kids coming out look like lovely girls.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics