Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Bean soup

whewpy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:04 pm
Anyone have a good recipe for a bean soup? I've been searching for a while. Even takeout, the only one that is really good is from Geshmak in williamsburg

mom!

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:53 pm
Does lentil soup work?

Cheiny

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:51 pm
whewpy wrote:
Anyone have a good recipe for a bean soup? I've been searching for a while. Even takeout, the only one that is really good is from Geshmak in williamsburg

Great Northern beans, sauteed onion, lots of cumin, tomato sauce, spices, water,. That’s it.

Plonis

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 2:46 pm
My kids love sautéed onions, canned beans (any variety or a combination), salsa, water, salt/pepper/garlic.

Blessing1

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 2:49 pm
Our favorite is actually quite simple. Heat a drop ool. Shred an onion and saute till translucent. Add diced carrots, squash, celery, and parsnip. Saute till soft. Add salt & Add navy beans (that were soaked overnight), and water, and cook for around 2 hours. Then add an handful of small bowtie or small square pasta and cook till done.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 2:51 pm
Fake Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup:

2 cans of beans in tomato sauce
1 can of milk
1 tablespoon of hickory smoked salt (more or less to taste)

Puree with a stick blender, or in a regular blender. Don't try this in a food processor!

Add a bunch of Bacos (fake bacon bits) to stir in, and sprinkle a bit on top for garnish.

I can't believe it's not treif! Very Happy

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 2:55 pm
Parve chili:

3 types of canned beans
1 can crushed tomatoes in juice
Texturized vegetable protein (TVP), seitan, or "beef crumbles"

Add spices to make as hot (or not) as you like it.

Because it's parve, you can have sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese on top.

Great served with fresh cornbread, or with crushed corn chips at the bottom of the bowl (my dad's favorite)

whewpy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 4:57 pm
Thanks. Can't wait to try these

lora

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 5:22 pm
this is my Hungarian grandmothers recipe so might be close to the williamsburg one.
soak a bag of great norther beans overnight (quick soak is really the second choice)
place the beans in a pot with water two inches over the top of the beans. add salt, pepper and a peeled whole onion (top and bottom cut off) cook it for at least an hour or more on a low simmer.
next make the roux. first you want to bring the beans up to a strong high simmer. in a separate pot start by heating 3 tbsps flour, a pour of oil (its Hungarian... ) and paprika. you want it to be a creamy light consistency sort of like tomato paste, so add flour or oil to thicken or thin out. let it simmer for a minute mixing constantly then pour it into the very hot and bubbling soup (highest heat is important so it doesnt get lumpy) let it cook for another few minutes then take out the onion and serve.

whewpy

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 6:35 pm
This sounds perfect. I'm going to try it. Thx
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics