Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Rubashkin Denied Entry Into U.K.
Previous  1  2  3  4

Fox

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 6:27 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Fox, I could detect no logical fallacy in Lesia's post. (And yes, I'm an expert in detecting logical fallacies.) In any case, you don't demonstrate a logical fallacy by bringing an analogy, and certainly not an analogy as poor as the one you brought. It's a poor analogy because speeding is not a crime. It's an infraction of the law. It would merit a fine, not a prison sentence, unless an actual crime, such as DUI (which is considered a criminal offense in many states), is happening co-temporally with the speeding. This is very different from the Rubashkin case, in which the offenses that Rubashkin was accused of -- for example, hiring illegal immigrants, and violating labor laws -- were in fact true crimes carrying prison sentences.

On a thread that was started shortly after Rubashkin was released, I mentioned some of the disturbing details of what Rubashkin was accused of, and I believe I got a warning from Yael or one of the moderators. So I don't feel comfortable posting them again. If you wish, you can Google "Rubashkin working conditions labor law" or some similar phrase. This wasn't speeding. Many of us feel that Rubashkin's actions caused a chillul Hashem and that it would be best for him to live out his life quietly doing acts of chessed but not expecting acclamation. We believe this at the same time as we realize that the length of the sentence was unfair.

Rubashkin was not prosecuted for labor law violations. He was prosecuted for banking law violations.

You seem to be claiming that prison sentences should reflect crimes that the prosecutor chose not to pursue. That seems an odd perspective.

However, there is certainly a body of analysis that Rubashkin was unconsciously selected as a korban for the ambivalence Iowans feel about their meat-packing industry. Rubashkin's operation was no worse and in some ways better than virtually all the surrounding plants. Yet if they charged him with labor law abuses, etc., it would open a can of worms for every other meatpacking operation. The state did not want that, so they stuck to the banking law violations.

Fox

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 6:35 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
Do you believe he should have received any jail time?

According to what I've read, the typical punishment for the offenses Rubashkin committed are fines or less than a year in prison. Had he been hit with either of those, I don't think anyone would have felt it unfair.

The other problem, of course, was the egregious prosecutorial misconduct. Again, the judgment of more AGs and judges than can be listed. The real tragedy is that we settled for Rubashkin's release rather demanding the removal of the judge and prosecutors.

ibelongtosomebody

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 6:40 pm
Can I remind the general public of a Mishnah?
Al tadin es chavercha ad shetagia limkomoh.
Please, please take a minute to think about this before handing down your harsh judgement.
Also, place a quick call to a Rabbi and make sure you’re allowed to post Lashon Hara about R’ Rubashkin on this forum.
Lastly, imagine how you’d respond if he was your brother.

ibelongtosomebody

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 6:40 pm
Reporting my post so this thread can be locked.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics