Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Idiot's guide to English elections?

gingertop

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 4:52 am
Anyone can explain what is going on with the British elections? For people like me who are trying to figure it out?

thx!

Raisin

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:08 am
Which ones??

There were European elections on thursday. The UK voted for MEPs who will only sit until October, which is the Brexit deadline. Not sure if results are fully in but it sounds like both labour and conservatives did badly and Lib dems and brexit parties did better. People perceive labour as being on the fence about Brexit, (and antisemitic). And the conservative party (ie Theresa May) is too soft on Brexit. No one wants to compromise - people either don't want brexit, or want a hard brexit.

In other parts of Europe the Green party did very well. (I think also in the UK)

Meanwhile Theresa may finally announced(tearfully) she is stepping down as PM. Got to give her credit for resilience. So all sorts of fun people are lining up to take her place. Top among them is Boris Johnson, a slightly more intelligent version of Trump, but there are lot of others too. Will almost certainly be a hard brexiteer at this point.

gingertop

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:24 am
thanks. So I was confused about the EU and British elections. EU elections with more winning brexit seats means that brexit will happen? How much does the PM effect outcomes?

When will the elections for PM be?

Raisin

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:31 am
the Eu elections have no real impact in the UK (since they are leaving anyway the new MEPS will only be sitting for a few months) but I guess you can see them as a barometer of the political mood in the country.

Theresa may leaving means a hardline brexiteer will likely replace her.

The Opposition might be able to force a general election but the next one is not due to happen till 2022. An election can happen before that if the government is unable to govern effectively, or they think it will be beneficial to have one. Right now the government barely has a majority, and even then they don't agree on everything, so Theresa May has not been able to push anything through at all.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:33 am
after mrs may leaves in a couple of weeks the conservative party will choose a new leader. You can google the exact process but it only involves party members I think.

Mayflower

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 7:12 am
Raisin wrote:
Boris Johnson, a slightly more intelligent version of Trump.

Nothing to add, but love your description LOL

gingertop

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 10:19 am
Is there any chance for any Tory leader to win besides Boris Johnson?

Fox

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 4:28 pm
Best meme today:

"My milkshake brings all the votes to Farage."

Raisin

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 6:29 pm
gingertop wrote:
Is there any chance for any Tory leader to win besides Boris Johnson?

Ive kind of given up forecasting the future anymore since 2016 or so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics