Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Do most apartments in Israel only have 1 sink?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:02 am
Probably a stupid question, but I've been looking on Israeli websites for rentals (just to see what the market is like, what we can get when we do move) and I see that a lot of the apartments just have one sink. Is this common? I have only one sink here in the US so one sink isn't a problem, just curious while browsing real estate websites Very Happy

Teomima

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:05 am
If it's an older building, and the kitchen wasn't remodeled, then yes. Most of the places I've lived here have only had one sink. What's worse, it's often a porcelain sink (especially if the place is older), making it impossible to kasher. Oh well. You get used to it.

etky

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:37 am
Hmm, I think it depends.
If the apartment is in a religious neighborhood, in a relatively modern building, then there will probably be two sinks. Usually, builders take into account sectorial needs when building for the religious publicת so things like 2 sinks, a succa mirpeset, a small sink for netilat yadayim, are standard.
Otherwise, probably not.

etky

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:40 am
Teomima wrote:
If it's an older building, and the kitchen wasn't remodeled, then yes. Most of the places I've lived here have only had one sink. What's worse, it's often a porcelain sink (especially if the place is older), making it impossible to kasher. Oh well. You get used to it.

I think though that Sephardim hold that you can kasher ceramic sinks, no? So for some people it wouldn't be an issue.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:43 am
In the kitchen? Yes.

ora_43

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:59 am
Yes, very common. I've only ever seen metal sinks, though, not porcelain.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 4:48 am
In secular areas, one sink is most common. If it's a newer building, it will be a huge sink, but only one.

In frum areas, usually two.

As for older apartments, many times one of the previous owners switched the sink to a double.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 4:53 am
I am SO lucky to have two stainless steel sinks, marble counter tops, and a small sink in the hall outside the bathroom. I realize that it's extremely rare.

In my last apartment, the building was only 12 years old. It had one PLASTIC sink, that was already scratched and stained. No matter what I did it looked grubby. I hate only having one sink, and constantly having to switch over. If I ever get another apartment with a single sink, I'm going to save up to install a meat dishwasher.

Rappel

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:09 am
I've seen mostly two sinks, but I'm sure it goes by location

etky

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am SO lucky to have two stainless steel sinks, marble counter tops, and a small sink in the hall outside the bathroom. I realize that it's extremely rare.

In my last apartment, the building was only 12 years old. It had one PLASTIC sink, that was already scratched and stained. No matter what I did it looked grubby. I hate only having one sink, and constantly having to switch over. If I ever get another apartment with a single sink, I'm going to save up to install a meat dishwasher.

FF, I think that two sinks (not necessarily stainless though) would be standard in a frum area like Beit Shemesh, no?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:24 am
etky wrote:
FF, I think that two sinks (not necessarily stainless though) would be standard in a frum area like Beit Shemesh, no?

You'd be surprised. It depends on the area, and how old the building is. In the older areas, I think people were just grateful to have running water. In the new areas like Gimmel, that are being build up specifically for the Charedi community, the kitchens are gorgeous and totally kasherable for Pesach.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:43 am
I think it depends on how old the building/house is and in what neighborhood as well. Even buildings in, for example, ramat eshkol, that are 50 years old, will not have two sinks, but many new builds, in any number of places, have two sinks.
There is no fast rule.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 9:57 am
Agree with FF and shabbatiscoming. Bet Shemesh wasn't considered frum in the 50's and 60's. It was a place to locate/dump new immigrants at that time, what's called 'ayarat pituach'. And who had the money to even dream about 2 sinks? For sure not new immigrants, most of them from north Africa/Yemen/Iraq etc and with large families, trying to get through day by day. Tough times.
Now, in chareidi strongholds (newer parts of Bet Shemesh) as well as Modiin Illit and other places will you get 2 sinks or contractor wouldn't get apartment sold.
Don't think that because you are in medinat Israel ALL apartments automatically had/have 2 sinks. Mamash lo.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions