Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Can’t daven

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 4:58 pm
I have a very hard time davening. I cant say tehillim fluently. I remember having tutoring for this as a kid, but someone I never grasped reading Hebrew . I’m a smart person, I read thick English books within hours- I have no problem reading English.

I want to daven and say tehillim but it is so time consuming and difficult for me. Is anyone like me?

Is there any way for me to help myself with this?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:05 pm
I have a similar problem. What has worked for me is choosing perakim that I am familiar with I.e. from Hallel or from school many years agol etc. And sticking those.

Surrendered

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:18 pm
It's just as chashuv to daven in your Mama Loshen- your native language. Talk to Hashem from your heart in your own wording.

I second amother Amethyst, choose some favorite pesukim that speak to your heart, that Express your emotions, and stick to that.
For me it's Ahavas Olam and some Perukim in Tehillim.

zaq

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:26 pm
Get a siddur and tehillim with translation and use the translation. There are interlinear translations as well as standard facing-page translations. It's important for you to understand what you're saying. You can also pray in your own words if the original or the translations don't "speak" to you or express exactly what you want to say. G-d understands all languages.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 6:20 pm
What everybody else said.
But I also wonder if you have the time and money, if you might want to look into kriah training.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 6:26 pm
As pinkfridge said, maybe you need to re-learn kriyah, it doesn't sound like you were taught properly.

https://www.torah4children.com.....34028
This series might help you.

Of course, any language you daven in is good. And you can learn the tefillos by heart, there are audio recordings if you want me to post.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 6:36 pm
I found that working slowly and consistently was the key to learning the words of davening so that they would be smooth in my mouth. I'm bt. (my Hebrew reading skills were very very slow and full of mistakes until a few years ago). Give yourself a long term goal - like a couple of years or however long it takes - to work on this. Then pick one tiny thing eg just Torah Brachos and commit to saying them every single day no matter what. Say them. When you have spare time learn the translation, then maybe find an online shiur about what they mean. When you are totally fluent in these (could take a week, or 6 months , it doesn't matter) then add the morning brachos in the same slow committed way.

The order I added after that was
Shema (one paragraph at a time)
Shemoneh Esrei (one bracha at a time)
Brachot after shema (one paragraph at a time)
Brachot before shema (one paragraph at a time)
Baruch Shemar
Ashrei
Yishtabach
The rest (still working on that...)

Also I kind of started with just the beginnings and ends of things the way the chazzan says it. Then fill in the middle.

Take you time. Slow and steady. It's really really worth it. I started this about 5 years ago. At the moment I'm not really adding more , sometimes.I say more of pesukei dzimra but not as an "always" thing, more just to.familarise myself with the words. I'm more focussing on deeper meaning now.

And trying to daven in an "im connecting" way, rather than a "gimme gimme" way (which is not really aJewish way to.daven)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics